CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=294)
-   -   That1guy_Tim 1SS track build (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613004)

That1guy_tim 01-21-2023 08:47 AM

That1guy_Tim 1SS track build

4 Attachment(s)
Welcome fellow enthusiast,

This thread is to showcase some of my work, Keep track of the build and my progression as a driver.

I originally purchased the car in July of 19. From a dealership in Oklahoma. Bought the car over the internet without ever seeing it in person. (The price was too good to pass up)

Car arrived to my house 4th of July weekend 2019. With an unknown Cam, headers, and flex fuel tune.

I quickly ordered up an RPM roll bar, Sparco seat, Apex wheels, Track pads and rotors for the tiny 4 pots.

That1guy_tim 01-21-2023 08:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So after getting the car safety prepped I was ready to get this thing on track!

I live very close to Road America, So I quickly signed up for their HPDE classes. They offer 2 classes that go over car control fundamentals and track time.

It was game over that! I attended a few track days for the next 2 years.
Road America, Blackhawk Farms, Putnam Park, Raceway park of the midlands. Learning and pushing the limits of myself and the car.

Upon doing so I learned what all track rat learn with this car. The factory toe rods SUCK! In come the SPL goodies!

I ordered up some SPL toe rods with the ecentric lock out. IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRACK YOUR CAR THIS MOD IS A MUST!

Also the 4 pots were giving me issues. Me being the stubborn person that I am thought i could get away with the Racing Brake high temp rebuild kit with Stainless pistons. That was not the case. After 2 years of fighting brake fade with the 4pots. I upgraded to the ZLE calipers and Girodisc Rotors.

That1guy_tim 01-21-2023 08:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This brings me to 2022!

Coming into 2022 I have 2 years of on track experience with the Camaro. I'm starting to become very comfortable with the chassis. My good friend of who lives for track day stuff is Hyping me up. Making me feel like an Andretti.

He hits me up one day saying he knows a guy selling his Gridlife Time Attack ticket to Autobahn Country Club!

I dove in head first! I bought that ticket and signed up for the Track Mod class. My poor 1ss with unknown mods was way out gunned in that close. 1-3rd place were all GT P-Cars. But I put up a fight and pushed as hard as i could!

Unfortunately I pushed a little too hard and my valves send hello to my pistons during this event. Not enough to destroy the engine. But enough for it to bend some pushrods and valves.

That1guy_tim 01-21-2023 08:58 AM

13 Attachment(s)
This brings us to present day! 1/21/23

My car is all torn apart and cut up in my garage!

I found a fender at the junk yard and wanted to try my hand at Aerodynamics.

I enjoy the folded in fender look on some GT cars and no one makes that style fender for us. (Anderson composites carbon fenders are close)

So i chopped up the fender, Formed it with my hands and cut some sheet metal to weld into place. ( I think it's goin to look killer when its done)

While the engine is apart and I'm waiting on parts to come in i decided to tackle some of the suspension issues.

Gandrud Chevy had the ZLE solid subframe bushings in stock. So i drove up there and grabbed a set!

Ordered a good chunk of the SPL Parts catalog. Rear knuckle bushings. Front caster arm bushing, Sway bar links, and rear upper camber arm!

Fortune auto coilovers are also on order. ( Full write up when those arrive)

So as the car sits at the moment the heads are off and waiting for parts from GPI, SPL knuckle bushings are now pressed in. Solid subframe bushings installed. just waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive.

That1guy_tim 01-21-2023 09:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Reinstalled the rear knuckle last night. And upper camber arm from SPL Parts. This camber arm did come with lockout spacers for the LCA. Will install those when my coilovers come in

That1guy_tim 01-24-2023 06:02 AM

Placeholder

kropscamaro16 02-16-2023 05:27 PM

you get your new fortune coilovers yet? my buddy told me he wants a set also i said i know a guy that got some lol

That1guy_tim 02-17-2023 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 (Post 11283476)
you get your new fortune coilovers yet? my buddy told me he wants a set also i said i know a guy that got some lol

I haven't gotten them yet. Was told end of Feb. beginning of March.

I did get my Hi-ram, Throttle body, Oil pump, So the cam might be going in this weekend if I can get some motivation.

Blackmonba6Gen 02-17-2023 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That1guy_tim (Post 11283624)
I haven't gotten them yet. Was told end of Feb. beginning of March.

I did get my Hi-ram, Throttle body, Oil pump, So the cam might be going in this weekend if I can get some motivation.

This sounds like good news to me! :thumbup:

ZPirate 02-17-2023 10:26 AM

Love the Apex wheels.

That1guy_tim 02-17-2023 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmonba6Gen (Post 11283726)
This sounds like good news to me! :thumbup:

hell yeah man. I'm getting there. Now if I could only get my Flycutting tool!!!!

That1guy_tim 02-17-2023 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZPirate (Post 11283731)
Love the Apex wheels.

Thanks! They have served me well over the last 3 years. Thinking about getting on the new style that they have a group buy for.

DamonZ28 02-17-2023 10:44 AM

Are you signed up for the Wisconsin Camaro Road America event?

That1guy_tim 02-17-2023 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonZ28 (Post 11283744)
Are you signed up for the Wisconsin Camaro Road America event?

I am not. I do live 20min from there. Where can I find the event info?