Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Front bumper removal problem (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589820)

Bigdumogre 03-21-2021 12:01 PM

Front bumper removal problem

I’m removing the front bumper to install a heritage grill and tranny cooler but I ran into a problem. The top bolt on each side just keeps spinning. The bumper is just hanging on by those 2 bolts and I see in the gap of the fender and bumper the threads that are inside the bumper are just spinning. Is there a easy way to get them out? All I have is a saws all to cut them but can’t fit the blade inside fender wall to cut them.

Camaro2ss2010 03-21-2021 01:10 PM

The only way that I know you could get these out besides cutting them is to apply a little pressure outwards on the head of the bolt with something to get the threads started backing out. It’s a very tight place though.

TheFlyingBananaSS 03-21-2021 02:27 PM

Or outwards pressure on the bumper might work. Good luck.

smokehippielettuce 03-21-2021 02:46 PM

Can't wait to see pics! Ive been thinking of doing that to my car. Did you paint it to match?

Bigdumogre 03-21-2021 03:08 PM

I tried using a screwdriver wrapped in rags to try and apply pressure to the bumper and try to get pressure to get it out to no avail. I also tried a screwdriver in the back but it’s such a tight place I couldn’t get it good enough using hand tools. If I had a air ratchet it would maybe be easier.

I put my car back together for now and will retry in a few days when I get some good ideas to try lol.

I dident paint to match I left it the stock color just like my old OEM grill.

Camaro2ss2010 03-21-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 10977520)
I tried using a screwdriver wrapped in rags to try and apply pressure to the bumper and try to get pressure to get it out to no avail. I also tried a screwdriver in the back but it’s such a tight place I couldn’t get it good enough using hand tools. If I had a air ratchet it would maybe be easier.

I put my car back together for now and will retry in a few days when I get some good ideas to try lol.

I dident paint to match I left it the stock color just like my old OEM grill.

I have taken some fast setting glue and glue the socket to something like this that I could not get behind. It shouldn’t be so tight that it breaks the glue loose before catching the threads. Just another thought.

Bigdumogre 03-21-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2010 (Post 10977542)
I have taken some fast setting glue and glue the socket to something like this that I could not get behind. It shouldn’t be so tight that it breaks the glue loose before catching the threads. Just another thought.

That might be a idea. I got it half way out the bolt so when the bumper and fender separates I can see the nut spinning. Maybe I can try and glue it and try again.

BLU DUCE 03-21-2021 04:56 PM

If they are the ones way up in the front. I had one do that. So I got a pair of needle nose vise grips and a small blade screw driver and put pressure under the head of the bolt when turning it. When I take mine off I jack the car up and take my tires off and the inner wheel well off. A lot easier to get to the screws.

TheFlyingBananaSS 03-21-2021 05:11 PM

Buy new brackets to put in and saw of the old.

Bigdumogre 03-21-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLU DUCE (Post 10977573)
If they are the ones way up in the front. I had one do that. So I got a pair of needle nose vise grips and a small blade screw driver and put pressure under the head of the bolt when turning it. When I take mine off I jack the car up and take my tires off and the inner wheel well off. A lot easier to get to the screws.

Ya I removed the wheels to and made the access as good as it can get. Maybe I’ll try that I used just a screwdriver to add pressure and couldn’t get enough to apply pressure and work a ratchet at the same time.

Bigdumogre 03-21-2021 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS (Post 10977583)
Buy new brackets to put in and saw of the old.

That’s why I was trying the sawsall but the location is horrible. Know any mini saws that would fit? I don’t mind drilling out the old and making it work again.

Camaro2ss2010 03-21-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 10977612)
That’s why I was trying the sawsall but the location is horrible. Know any mini saws that would fit? I don’t mind drilling out the old and making it work again.

You may can use a pneumatic saw if you have a strong enough compressor to run it.

Bigdumogre 03-21-2021 06:48 PM

That I don’t just some hand tools and time on my hands lol. A small cutting wheel would do it in a second.

I even tried to retighten time and snap the bolt that way to no avail.

Bigdumogre 03-21-2021 06:50 PM

Would something like this work? I have a good drill

https://www.amazon.com/Rotary-Cuttin...s%2C154&sr=8-6