CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   2021 SS 1LE with A10 or 2018 ZL1 A10 ? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583311)

Venomcustom 10-18-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave777 (Post 10887314)
The base ZL1.

I was laughing at his comment a base SS handles about the same as a 1LE.

Now back to your original question. I have a 1LE and my brother a 17 ZL1. After spending quality time with both I will say the 6th gen 1LE is a great car. It’s quick, handles extremely well and is awesome on back roads. The ZL1 Handles extremely well and is just plain faster. It’s an epic machine for the money. You really can’t go wrong with either car. Both will put a smile on your face. That said the ZL1 will be my next upgrade.

gtfoxy 10-18-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave777 (Post 10887314)
The base ZL1.

Having had an SS & now a ZL1, under normal driving conditions the ZL1 is slightly noticeably better to me. On the track is a different story I’m sure.

Power wise the big difference is, obviously, from a dig or anywhere really, when you step into it more than 1/2 throttle. Past that it’s a a completely different animal. It’s shearly invigorating where the SS felt OK at first, but left me longing for more in a short period.

Keep in mind also the pre-20 TCM’s are crackable.

LT4Greg 10-18-2020 08:02 PM

The ZL1! I had a 2016 2SS that I bought new and last year in March I bought a used very low mileage 2017 ZL1 and so far no regrets. The ZL1 is a nice upgrade to the 2SS in my opinion. Either Camaro would be a good choice.��

Memphis SS 10-19-2020 03:59 AM

Well, if you don’t need a back seat for kids and looking at performance I would get the base model Corvette with the z51 package vs the ZL1. You can buy a Corvette z51 package car list price $64,900.00 vs a ZL1 $66,650.00. For me a ZL1 would be hard to consider at this point.
The Corvette takes the ZL1 in just about every area when it comes to performance.

ZL1 0-60 3.5 seconds
Corvette 0-60 2.9 seconds
And that is just one of many track specs

Just food for thought.

Well, I just noticed your looking at used ZL1 Camaro's, too early in the morning LOL... I would agree with others then and say ZL1 if you find a good quality car in your price point with some warranty left for safe measure.

gtfoxy 10-19-2020 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memphis SS (Post 10887444)
Well, if you don’t need a back seat for kids and looking at performance I would get the base model Corvette with the z51 package vs the ZL1. You can buy a Corvette z51 package car list price $64,900.00 vs a ZL1 $66,650.00. For me a ZL1 would be hard to consider at this point.
The Corvette takes the ZL1 in just about every area when it comes to performance.

ZL1 0-60 3.5 seconds
Corvette 0-60 2.9 seconds
And that is just one of many track specs

Just food for thought.

I considered a vette, the wife mentioned it actually, but I just didn’t care for the wrapped up feeling. Yeah it was neat, just think I’d prefer the more open space of the Camaro for a DD.

I did some quick searching now & there are a few 1LT’s for mid-60’s in FL, if OP is interested.

Memphis SS 10-19-2020 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoxy (Post 10887447)
I considered a vette, the wife mentioned it actually, but I just didn’t care for the wrapped up feeling. Yeah it was neat, just think I’d prefer the more open space of the Camaro for a DD.

I did some quick searching now & there are a few 1LT’s for mid-60’s in FL, if OP is interested.

I do see your point, I’m not a fan of the full driver focus cockpit. Well, I’m good with everything but that dang switch area that blocks the driver from the passenger. I thought about one myself but decided to keep my SS for a while, it’s sad to say but, it just turned 1,000 miles on the OD this past week after 3 years of ownership.

gtfoxy 10-19-2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memphis SS (Post 10887448)
I do see your point, I’m not a fan of the full driver focus cockpit. Well, I’m good with everything but that dang switch area that blocks the driver from the passenger. I thought about one myself but decided to keep my SS for a while, it’s sad to say but, it just turned 1,000 miles on the OD this past week after 3 years of ownership.

Don’t get me wrong here, I absolutely love the looks on the new vette.

I could live with the screen facing me, though when with the wife she works the screen from the pass. side, so that’d be hard, & yeah that switch housing was a deal breaker. I like to spread out when I drive. Being in what felt like a caccoon just didn’t appeal to me.

& I thought I didn’t put many miles on LOL

s346k 10-19-2020 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave777 (Post 10887236)
2021 SS 1LE with A10 or..... 2018 ZL1 A10 ?

I’m kind of torn between 2 awesome cars and can’t decide. One day I want SS, the next day I’m thinking a used low mile ZL1.

Which would you choose and why ?

:noidea:

ZL1. i chose ss simply because of money. in late 18 it was impossible to find a low mile ZL1 for the same money. i bought my 2018 1LE car in late 2018 with 2k miles on it for $36k. previous owner had it 2 months.

if i were looking now, i'd buy a ZL1 in a heartbeat. (comparable) used ss deals don't exist and the ZL1 is much more car for the same money. with that being said, i think i've done enough bolt ons to match an m6 ZL1 to ~140 mph, but it required a lot of work and about $4k in parts.

CHASLT1 10-19-2020 05:58 AM

I don't know how you guys get any traction with 650hp. Even with more sticky non runflats my modded Vettes would never hook up worth a hoot from a roll.

CHASLT1 10-19-2020 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoxy (Post 10887456)
Don’t get me wrong here, I absolutely love the looks on the new vette.

I could live with the screen facing me, though when with the wife she works the screen from the pass. side, so that’d be hard, & yeah that switch housing was a deal breaker. I like to spread out when I drive. Being in what felt like a caccoon just didn’t appeal to me.

& I thought I didn’t put many miles on LOL

I just hated my C7 for reasons i have talking about on here and felt cramped up sitting inside of my C7 while the C6 was a much better fit for me. Never sat in a C8 yet.

Fraxum 10-19-2020 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes (Post 10887321)
The 1LE is the ZL1, minus the supercharger. Same chassis/handling improvements. Slightly smaller brakes because, well, it's lighter. Same size wheels/tires, same magnetic ride, etc. Shifting out of 2nd to third at WOT in the 1LE and you are already going more than 75mph.

There are more differences of course.

But I agree with you. I have owned a M6 2SS, an A10 ZL1, and now I have settled down with a M6 LT1. After losing a very fast TT 5th Gen 1LE on a race track I know how easy it is to lose control at high speeds. The driver was lucky. A ZL1 cannot be used anywhere near its limits on the street unless you have some loose change upstairs. Although it is the most approachable supercar on the planet. Used ones with no mods are a steal and super reliable. It was built to run hard and be put away wet.

To me the LT1 motor just like the coyote is a sweet spot of power. Fast enough to be big fun, but when used with care somewhat safe. And they are faster than all the cars we drool over on Mecham Auctions. :)

And with the Camaro chassis and SS suspension all of these LT1 powered Camaros are the perfect balance of middle class cost and big performance. A Super Sports muscle car.

Although the LT4 supercharger is too small due to the C7 availale space, I do miss looking at that motor under my hood. :) It is a work of art.

RobbyBeefcake87 10-19-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoxy (Post 10887328)
Having had an SS & now a ZL1, under normal driving conditions the ZL1 is slightly noticeably better to me. On the track is a different story I’m sure.

Power wise the big difference is, obviously, from a dig or anywhere really, when you step into it more than 1/2 throttle. Past that it’s a a completely different animal. It’s shearly invigorating where the SS felt OK at first, but left me longing for more in a short period.

Keep in mind also the pre-20 TCM’s are crackable.

While this is not wrong, he's talking about an ss 1le. A zl1 is faster and more powerful than an ss 1le but does not handle better.

RobbyBeefcake87 10-19-2020 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan (Post 10887282)
ZL1 is a no-brainer, 1LE doesn't handle too different from a base SS.

If you're talking handling, an ss 1le handles better than an ss, a zl1 does not handle better than an ss 1le.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, a zl1 is obviously faster and more powerful than an ss 1le.

UnknownJinX 10-19-2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraxum (Post 10887488)
There are more differences of course.

But I agree with you. I have owned a M6 2SS, an A10 ZL1, and now I have settled down with a M6 LT1. After losing a very fast TT 5th Gen 1LE on a race track I know how easy it is to lose control at high speeds. The driver was lucky. A ZL1 cannot be used anywhere near its limits on the street unless you have some loose change upstairs. Although it is the most approachable supercar on the planet. Used ones with no mods are a steal and super reliable. It was built to run hard and be put away wet.

To me the LT1 motor just like the coyote is a sweet spot of power. Fast enough to be big fun, but when used with care somewhat safe. And they are faster than all the cars we drool over on Mecham Auctions. :)

And with the Camaro chassis and SS suspension all of these LT1 powered Camaros are the perfect balance of middle class cost and big performance. A Super Sports muscle car.

Although the LT4 supercharger is too small due to the C7 availale space, I do miss looking at that motor under my hood. :) It is a work of art.

Yeah, I agree with that.

More than happy with my SS 1LE. Pretty much the only places I wished I have more power are some Alberta highways(far from me now) and a track(my skill is not nearly good enough to utilize the power), and so SS is pretty much the sweet spot for power.

But to each of their own, everyone has a different use case and not to mention, budget. Both are good choices and if I am offered a ZL1, I wouldn't turn it down.

Can't speak for C8 but I am pretty sure even ZL1 is cheaper, and while it's not OP's concern, Camaro's can still be had with a stick shift.

Sent from toaster or something