CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   GM Paint Protection Film (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556018)

Chulai 06-08-2019 09:24 AM

GM Paint Protection Film

I plan on replacing the PPF in front of the rear tire on my brother's '17 SS today. I noticed the piece of OEM film has both a backing sheet and a top sheet. I've never seen this before. Other films just have the backing sheet. Just wondering if anyone has worked with this type of PPF? The top sheet does not look like it removes easily especially when wet in order to get it positioned. I may have to wait until it "sticks" to the car and then try to pull it off. Any advice would be appreciated.

cmitchell17 06-26-2019 09:30 PM

I would like to remove mine too and install rock guards. I would think we should be able to do it just with careful use of a heat gun?

I really wish GM would have covered the area better the film is just to small to protect the critical parts. Also I don't think this is actually considered PPF like other people consider PPF? Or is it? Seems to me like its just an adhesive sticker type thing?

ScaryFatKidGT 06-27-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitchell17 (Post 10556086)
I would like to remove mine too and install rock guards. I would think we should be able to do it just with careful use of a heat gun?

I really wish GM would have covered the area better the film is just to small to protect the critical parts. Also I don't think this is actually considered PPF like other people consider PPF? Or is it? Seems to me like its just an adhesive sticker type thing?

Fer real, it's like giving someone a bullet proof vest them going at them with an AA12 loaded with bird shot

Chulai 06-27-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitchell17 (Post 10556086)

It was already removed for a minor body repair. I have completed the installation since my original post with less than ideal results. The GM film seems to be thicker and "stickier" than other film that I've worked with which made it quite difficult to install. I kept it very wet during the process but it still stuck firmly before I had it exactly where I wanted it. The position isn't terrible but it does have several air bubbles that I could not remove. The next step is a fine needle to, hopefully, remove the bubbles.

ItsChristianInHD 06-27-2019 12:39 PM

My PPF turned white...you can only see it up close. Some crappy material.