CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Paint flaking on bottom edge of trunk. What would you do? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566557)

Living_Quiet 12-09-2019 11:37 AM

Paint flaking on bottom edge of trunk. What would you do?

Camaro is only a few months old.

There is a small spot on the panel edge of the trunk under the bowtie that has finally flaked off. I thought the paint was raised in that area from excess clear coat that had dripped, but it was apparently a bubble that has finally popped and is now flaking.

I can only see it when the trunk is open. It's 1/4" wide and came off the entire bottom edge. The flaking wraps around to the back side of the trunk though, so probably 1/4th in depth as well.

Should I take it to the dealer and have them fix it? Or should I just get some touchup paint and do it myself?

I'm capable with these sorts of projects, so I don't want to waste time at the dealer if that's all they're going to do and I feel I can do a better job at it.

Here's a picture:

https://i.imgur.com/rwbnMJb.jpg

SSDan 12-09-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Living_Quiet (Post 10676293)
I'm capable with these sorts of projects, so I don't want to waste time at the dealer if that's all they're going to do and I feel I can do a better job at it.

I believe you've answered your own question with the best solution.

Zaqwert6 12-09-2019 11:47 AM

If the car is that new, I would take it to the dealer to get any potential paint defect on record.

Chutzpah 12-09-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDan (Post 10676296)
I believe you've answered your own question with the best solution.

Had the same issue with two of my vehicles. I cleaned up loose paint, prepped surface with alcohol , primed and touched up. Zero issues...

wwiiavfan 12-09-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 (Post 10676299)
If the car is that new, I would take it to the dealer to get any potential paint defect on record.

Yup, if you potentially have a situation where your paint starts to really come off due to a factory mistake, you’ll want to have it on record as starting while it was still warrantied.

Remember some of those factory paint jobs in the 80’s and ‘90’s? Gawd, paint coming off literally in sheets, it was redonkulous.

caSStro18 12-09-2019 11:11 PM

Dealer. Paper trails are important to simply CYA. Maybe it's just the way the picture was taken, but it looks like a lot of orange peel on that finish. I just looked at mine and it doesn't seem to be hat pronounced. Of course my car is white so maybe the finish just looks different. I know the underside of the trunk and hood are not as smooth as the exterior, but just makes me wonder if the paint in that area is just subpar.

KirkH 12-10-2019 01:48 AM

My paint surface sucks. There's little bubbles all over the hood and they pop and leave white spots with no paint. I took it in to the dealership and they acted like they couldn't see what I was talking about.

Also the black mosaic scratches and swirls if you breathe on it.

LT4 12-10-2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Living_Quiet (Post 10676293)
Camaro is only a few months old.

There is a small spot on the panel edge of the trunk under the bowtie that has finally flaked off. ....

Paint is covered by warranty for the first 12 months on a new car.

When you hand it over, let them know you are a perfectionist, and make the point of it three times. That way the service manager will know won't they can get a way with a crappy job they would normally give to a leased Cruz, where the owner doesn't give a crap.

Living_Quiet 12-10-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caSStro18 (Post 10676724)
Dealer. Paper trails are important to simply CYA. Maybe it's just the way the picture was taken, but it looks like a lot of orange peel on that finish. I just looked at mine and it doesn't seem to be hat pronounced. Of course my car is white so maybe the finish just looks different. I know the underside of the trunk and hood are not as smooth as the exterior, but just makes me wonder if the paint in that area is just subpar.

Didn't think about that. The orange peel is definitely pronounced under the trunk. I didn't think much of it because some interior facing panels have wrap around base coat but aren't clear coated.

The outside panels of the car have very minimal texture, if any.

crosive 12-11-2019 06:06 AM

I would take it to my dealership, but only because they own a really reputable paint/repair shop right next door.

I had them fix my 2ss when the mormons backed into it. flawless fix.

mikem2104 12-11-2019 08:01 AM

agreed, dealer to document. i wouldn't want them to respray the panel yet, only if it gets worse. for now, get it documented and touchup. IMO

1hprush 12-11-2019 12:56 PM

I would take it to the dealer, have it painted while you can still match the paint. If it’s along the edge, it needs resprayed. If you noticed it coming off, in a place where most people, wouldn’t notice or care, then you’ll notice just a touch up.

JCunningham 12-11-2019 02:49 PM

Needs repaint of entire lid not touch up but dealer probably wont do that. Take it to the dealer tell them you want the whole thing repainted. It will be cheaper in the long run.