CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Drove One (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431189)

Blueclyde 11-28-2015 01:35 PM

Drove One

2SS, 8 speed auto, Mag Ride, Dual Mode Exh, Navigation, etc. All I can say is impressive. This is a very nice car. I'd have no problem changing out of my 630ish HP ZL1 for an SS. Exhaust note is awesome. Engine is very snappy and car is fast. Not ZL1 fast but feels way faster than 5th SS. The 8 speed auto is awesome. The SS would be a phenomenal daily driver. I probably shouldn't have driven it, because now I want one!

alfonsoj23 11-28-2015 01:39 PM

I can't wait to hear the damn npp in person! A lot of mix reviews about it!

LesserO2Evils 11-28-2015 01:39 PM

Good timing on this post! Im juggling a new ZL1 vs 16SS myself.

Blueclyde 11-28-2015 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils (Post 8759801)
Good timing on this post! Im juggling a new ZL1 vs 16SS myself.

I think I'd go with the 6th Gen. I wasn't thinking that way before I drove it but now have a different perspective.

bybcous 11-28-2015 02:00 PM

Was the shifting smooth through all gears when you first drove off?

Blueclyde 11-28-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bybcous (Post 8759836)
Was the shifting smooth through all gears when you first drove off?

Yes and more firm and aggressive in track mode. Very impressed with the auto.

HDRDTD 11-28-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueclyde (Post 8759793)
2SS, 8 speed auto, Mag Ride, Dual Mode Exh, Navigation, etc. All I can say is impressive. This is a very nice car. I'd have no problem changing out of my 630ish HP ZL1 for an SS. Exhaust note is awesome. Engine is very snappy and car is fast. Not ZL1 fast but feels way faster than 5th SS. The 8 speed auto is awesome. The SS would be a phenomenal daily driver. I probably shouldn't have driven it, because now I want one!

Let me guess, it was Hyper Blue.

Becky showed it to me yesterday. I didn't drive it, but she did fire that bad boy up and yep, that exhaust note is AWESOME.
Sounds just as if not more aggressive than my ZL1.

Very impressed with the look and feel of all the controls inside.

We were looking under the hood at the shock towers and Becky noticed that the surface is no longer smooth enough for the usual autographs since they're now cast aluminum and ribbed for strength, but if you look at the leading edge of the hood when it's open, there's a wonderful flat surface right there in your face for all the autographs your ever to get.

The accent lighting with all the colors, and show mode, etc, is a bit of excess gadgetry as far as I'm concerned.

There are plenty of wonderful subtle accent creases all throughout the body sheet metal that you can't see in photographs.

We noticed that on the entire car, there were only four (maybe five) pieces of chrome. The lock buttons on each door handle and the Camaro badges on each fender. The door handles themselves were body color.

It's a beautiful car.

Will I be selling my ZL1 convertible for one?
Not a chance in heck. I'm KEEPING that beast forever.

Am I tempted? you bet. Let's just wait and see what the successor to the ZL1 might be.

Blueclyde 11-28-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDRDTD (Post 8759901)
Let me guess, it was Hyper Blue.

Becky showed it to me yesterday. I didn't drive it, but she did fire that bad boy up and yep, that exhaust note is AWESOME.
Sounds just as if not more aggressive than my ZL1.

Very impressed with the look and feel of all the controls inside.

We were looking under the hood at the shock towers and Becky noticed that the surface is no longer smooth enough for the usual autographs since they're now cast aluminum and ribbed for strength, but if you look at the leading edge of the hood when it's open, there's a wonderful flat surface right there in your face for all the autographs your ever to get.

The accent lighting with all the colors, and show mode, etc, is a bit of excess gadgetry as far as I'm concerned.

There are plenty of wonderful subtle accent creases all throughout the body sheet metal that you can't see in photographs.

We noticed that on the entire car, there were only four (maybe five) pieces of chrome. The lock buttons on each door handle and the Camaro badges on each fender. The door handles themselves were body color.

It's a beautiful car.

Will I be selling my ZL1 convertible for one?
Not a chance in heck. I'm KEEPING that beast forever.

Am I tempted? you bet. Let's just wait and see what the successor to the ZL1 might be.

I'm potentially looking to change to something that I drive more frequently and the SS with an A8 transmission would be a great position and drivable for the ladies in my household. I love my ZL1 and it is definitely more violent in the acceleration department. I'm willing to give that up for this car. This SS is going to surprise some people once they hit the streets. It's very fast.

The next Zxx I'm sure will be a monster in performance and price. I'm just not sure I need it. History says I change my mind a lot though.

TheSpectre 11-28-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueclyde (Post 8759793)

Way to go. Now I'm still conflicted about my want for a 5th ZL1 vs a 6th gen SS!

Blueclyde 11-28-2015 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSpectre (Post 8759954)
Way to go. Now I'm still conflicted about my want for a 5th ZL1 vs a 6th gen SS!

Always go with the newer platform. The 5th Gen ZL1 is a great car but this 6th Gen is way more nimble and nice.

TheSpectre 11-28-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueclyde (Post 8759956)
Always go with the newer platform. The 5th Gen ZL1 is a great car but this 6th Gen is way more nimble and nice.

It's good advice, and I have yet to drive either, so I need to do that, but all the videos I've seen and heard, the ZL1 is just the meanest mother effing looking beast, and the LSA has a nastier, "warmer" exhaust tone.

Keep in mind that whatever I do buy, I plan on keeping till death, so the relative newness of one vs the other matters little to me.

Zack46 11-28-2015 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSpectre (Post 8759967)
It's good advice, and I have yet to drive either, so I need to do that, but all the videos I've seen and heard, the ZL1 is just the meanest mother effing looking beast, and the LSA has a nastier, "warmer" exhaust tone.

Keep in mind that whatever I do buy, I plan on keeping till death, so the relative newness of one vs the other matters little to me.

The ZL1 is a sick beast. Truly a monster of a car............

Blueclyde 11-28-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSpectre (Post 8759967)

The ZL1 is truly a great car. It's good at everything. Mine has a couple basic bolt ons and it is a phenomenal car. It's very fast in a straight line and on a road course. I've been to Gingerman Raceway two times with the car. It is very capable at the track. The ZL1 is a big heavy car though and I really see this after experiencing the new car. Also, the ZL1 has summer specific sticky tires that are horrible in cooler temps.

The ZL1 has more of an old school muscle look and feel to it. It definitely has a deeper exhaust not but does not have the throttle response that I felt in the LT1. It's bigger though and you can really feel it.

The new car has a more nimble feel to it, not over whelming but definitely noticeable. It has great steering feel and the mag ride provides all the required chassis feel and performance options. The interior is nice and well laid out. The IP and touch screen are definitely more modern. My ZL1 almost feels old school compared to the new interior, still nice but dated.

The clincher for me is the 8 speed auto transmission coupled with the more power and nimble feel. I want to drive this car more than my ZL1 and this SS will be a better driver. It won't be a daily driver but something I want to drive. My ZL1 is not the car for this given where I live and Michigan winters.

KMPrenger 11-28-2015 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueclyde (Post 8759828)
I think I'd go with the 6th Gen. I wasn't thinking that way before I drove it but now have a different perspective.

Thats high praise coming from a modded ZL1 owner.

Makes me very excited about my incoming 1SS auto with the NPP exhaust. With my skinny butt inside it, it will be about the lightest auto package you can get lol.