CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   "Winter Storage" (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562314)

Crushed 1LE 09-19-2019 05:39 PM

"Winter Storage"

For you blokes that put your babies in storage during the winter months. Curious if anyone has had issues with flat spotting tires?

I was also thinking of jacking the car up, but then thought that extending the dampers to their furthest position for an extended time could be detrimental.

Am I over thinking this whole thing?

Glen e 09-19-2019 05:48 PM

Yes you are, normal winter storage wont flat spot modern tires.

Pupilbone 09-19-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 10623399)
Yes you are, normal winter storage wont flat spot modern tires.

Agreed. I have two 'Garage Queens', that I store covered in my garage on their plain old rubber. Never had an issue with flat spots. BTW I put them both into hibernation on Halloween and wake them up around May 01. No issues yet...

drfeelgood 09-19-2019 06:23 PM

:thumbup: Southern California

Mark R 09-19-2019 06:31 PM

My stock tires flat spotted last winter. I burned them up at the dragstrip in the spring, then got a set of Michelins and some tire cradles. There are clearly different viewpoints regarding tire cradles.

7LitreC5 09-19-2019 07:18 PM

Mine was stored for 7 months last winter with no flat spotting.

Scottyz 09-19-2019 07:39 PM

Yeah weird. I’ve stored lots of different vehicles over the years . I usually find they flat spot. Quick couple mile drive and the flat spot is gone. My worst was my Suburban. Michelin LTX tires. They were great but if I didn’t drive it for say a month or 2 they would flat spot. All my others that were left on the ground flat spotted but nothing ever permanent.

1hprush 09-19-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushed 1LE (Post 10623395)
For you blokes that put your babies in storage during the winter months. Curious if anyone has had issues with flat spotting tires?

I was also thinking of jacking the car up, but then thought that extending the dampers to their furthest position for an extended time could be detrimental.

You are correct regarding potential stress on the suspension by letting the tires hang in the air over the winter. I place door mats under my tires when storing, I've never had any issues.

OVERPAR73 09-19-2019 08:47 PM

What I do is use two each of the 4 pc. Anti-Fatigue Foam Floor Mats from Harbor Freight and drive the car up over and on top of these pads, two under each tire. Works like a champ along with the battery tender for long term storage!

Crushed 1LE 09-19-2019 09:45 PM

Greatly appreciate the feedback guys. My garage floor has 'corrocated' tiles. I'll use mats to smooth the surface and see what the results are.

Larrio Andretti 09-20-2019 01:10 AM

Going on the third winter now. I fill the gas tank, park it in the garage and throw the cover on it. Spring time no issues! Tires are still round. Battery doesn’t even need a tender. Starts right up.

tecboy 09-20-2019 05:54 AM

I have stored my car past 3 winters...no flat spotting...i did increase the air pressure in tires to 44-45psi before it went in to storage...

Noreplacement 09-20-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crushed 1LE (Post 10623395)

Overfill the tires to 50 lbs or so. I use carpet squares under the tires to separate from the cement garage floor. Tires will not flatspot.
Use a good battery tender.
Fill the tank with no ethanol, high octane gas and use stabilizer. Run your engine for 5 minutes to get the stabilizer through the system.
You are done.
If you have or worried about nesting mice, glue traps etc. Do not use poison, the mice eat it, crawl away and stink to high h*ll hidden somewhere.

TheRealJA105 09-20-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noreplacement (Post 10623711)
Overfill the tires to 50 lbs or so. I use carpet squares under the tires to separate from the cement garage floor. Tires will not flatspot.
Use a good battery tender.
Fill the tank with no ethanol, high octane gas and use stabilizer. Run your engine for 5 minutes to get the stabilizer through the system.
You are done.
If you have or worried about nesting mice, glue traps etc. Do not use poison, the mice eat it, crawl away and stink to high h*ll hidden somewhere.

This guy knows what he's talking about :thumbup: