CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Supercharger setback (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583840)

jtengr87 10-29-2020 06:46 PM

Supercharger setback

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to my hell,

I was on cloud 9 yesterday waiting the arrival of my used tvs2300. Bought a six pack for the occasion and informed the wife she might not see me until bedtime.

Popped open the box unwrapped countless layers of bubble wrap then I saw it.:frown::frown::frown:
my heart sunk. Turned it over and matters just got worse. After kicking myself for not taking the 5 hour trip to meet the seller, :doh: and exhausting all our options with UPS. I immediately inspected the supercharger, because surely some some other poor soul has encountered this issue. Since I had been already talking to the guys over at superchargersonline. I quickly sent pictures to see if they could provide a replacement casing. I got a "hell no" to a replacement casing question. And an offer for a refurbished supercharger with warranty for $3500.

Now to my question: After doing some intense googling i found repairs to aluminum casings can be done. Does anybody have any experience on repairs of this nature? I think i've found a local race shop that may have the necessary skills

asthmamax11 10-29-2020 07:46 PM

Post who/where you got it from

jtengr87 10-29-2020 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wasn't the sellers fault, he's been real cool about the entire process. I like i said it was wrapped in several yards of bubble wrap, it laid perfectly in the box to hit the only exposed part... just my luck.

asthmamax11 10-29-2020 08:07 PM

Hmmm
So was it insured ?
Damaged before it got to you sounds like you should get your $ back.

jtengr87 10-29-2020 08:33 PM

No insurance, yea I took some assumptions instead of covering myself... he did display all of the parts and the supercharger itself so all was well before it was packaged up, pretty sure we both learned some hard lessons on this one, pretty much left the packaging and handling/shipping up to ups

Fast6.3 10-30-2020 07:00 PM

Feel for you brother. Sounds like my kind of luck

laynlo15 11-01-2020 06:58 AM

That can be repaired, contact Brian at Superchargersonline. He is the largest Magnuson dealer and see what he says. You could actually message him on face book with that picture. They do repairs on just about every Supercharger built.

KingLT1 11-01-2020 08:06 AM

Bubble wrap isn't enough for something that heavy. That is why most superchargers come encapsulated in a foam molding. So due to improper packaging that is the sellers fault and he should have to foot the bill. I have been on that end of the stick before shipping out a set of speakers I sold that I used triple layer card board and bubble wrap. The corner ended up smashed on it's 1000mi trip out to CA. I refunded the buyers money and told him to keep the speakers. Yea that sucked but that is the chance you take when you sell shit online and ship it. Better have original packaging or you are liable.

toohighpsi 11-03-2020 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 10895579)
That can be repaired, contact Brian at Superchargersonline. He is the largest Magnuson dealer and see what he says. You could actually message him on face book with that picture. They do repairs on just about every Supercharger built.

Sorry Greg, that one would need the housing replaced.

laynlo15 11-03-2020 10:09 AM

Auh, thanks Mike for helping me out on that one. I thought Brian might be able to fix it. Wonder if Brian has a spare housing.

jtengr87 11-03-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLT1 (Post 10895598)
Bubble wrap isn't enough for something that heavy. That is why most superchargers come encapsulated in a foam molding. So due to improper packaging that is the sellers fault and he should have to foot the bill. I have been on that end of the stick before shipping out a set of speakers I sold that I used triple layer card board and bubble wrap. The corner ended up smashed on it's 1000mi trip out to CA. I refunded the buyers money and told him to keep the speakers. Yea that sucked but that is the chance you take when you sell shit online and ship it. Better have original packaging or you are liable.

I was thinking the same thing. I've been looking into fixing things first before working out a resolution. I'm starting to thing a refurbished supercharger might be the only solution.

jtengr87 11-03-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toohighpsi (Post 10896707)
Sorry Greg, that one would need the housing replaced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 10896850)
Auh, thanks Mike for helping me out on that one. I thought Brian might be able to fix it. Wonder if Brian has a spare housing.

I have been talking to a reputable shop nearby, with a top notch welder. They seem to think there is a possibility the section of casing could be welded back. But the o-ring slot would be compromised. They suggested filling in the slot
and going old school with RTV to create the seal? Sound possible?

laynlo15 11-03-2020 03:08 PM

I really don't know on that. I do know that SCOL does have some used 2300s as he took some in when the 2650 came out. Not sure what he has left.

Murph18 11-04-2020 12:14 PM

I have a maggie 2300 that I just took off this week if you still need one. I'm in Wilmington, NC. Just message me if you are interested.