CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=257)
-   -   2nd Torque Converter Replacement (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536955)

Turkish01 08-22-2018 02:28 PM

2nd Torque Converter Replacement

So I have a 2016 2SS A8. I had the torque converter replaced in March of 2017 with 7500 miles on it. Was good until a couple thousand miles ago. Im at 27500 miles now and it started shuddering and jerking again. Brought it to the dealership yesterday to get an oil change, fix my starter for the second time, and fix the navigation which for some reason cant locate where im at. I read the ask Al thread on the shudder and saw they made an update to the fluid used in the transmission and a new torque converter design that was implemented in May of 2017. My question is do you think the transmission may have been damaged with the bad fluid used originally and then replaced with the same bad fluid? Im not sure if I trust the new converter to last and this will be a final fix. Is there a possibility I can get a new transmission or am I going to be stuck with the same one that could have possibly been damaged? Looking for help from anyone who has experienced this already.

speedup 08-22-2018 06:17 PM

2 TCs, 2 starters, and bad nav. You ready to push that thing off a cliff yet?

Turkish01 08-22-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedup (Post 10290550)
2 TCs, 2 starters, and bad nav. You ready to push that thing off a cliff yet?

I love the car and what it offers. While I’ve had problems with it the dealer has taken care of me (given me a loaner while it’s beimg repaired) I’m just worried it could be a problem down the road out of warranty. I’m not sold on there being a fix for the a8 as of yet

arpad_m 08-22-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkish01 (Post 10290651)
I love the car and what it offers. While I’ve had problems with it the dealer has taken care of me (given me a loaner while it’s beimg repaired) I’m just worried it could be a problem down the road out of warranty. I’m not sold on there being a fix for the a8 as of yet

The general consensus is that a transmission tune is the only permanent fix. May be worth considering once you start pulling close to powertrain warranty expiration. Until then, you should be able to "enjoy" free torque converter replacements galore :yikes:

Turkish01 08-22-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 10290686)
The general consensus is that a transmission tune is the only permanent fix. May be worth considering once you start pulling close to powertrain warranty expiration. Until then, you should be able to "enjoy" free torque converter replacements galore :yikes:

Per Al O, he said to service the transmission as soon as you have any symptoms of the shudder to prevent any damage to the transmission. I did but they used the same outdated fluid and converter as the fix. Wouldn't that still have a negative effect on the transmission?

arpad_m 08-23-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkish01 (Post 10290751)
Per Al O, he said to service the transmission as soon as you have any symptoms of the shudder to prevent any damage to the transmission. I did but they used the same outdated fluid and converter as the fix. Wouldn't that still have a negative effect on the transmission?

Here's what I would do: I'd go back to the dealer and ask about all the other A8 cars and trucks they are probably getting with the shudder issue and what fluid they use with those. If they already have the new fluid recommended in the latest version of TSB 16-NA-175, you could ask them to do a preventive flush with the new fluid because you are worried about longevity.

Members here with much more experience and knowledge about the A8, however, claim these measures are all temporary without a tune.

(My plan for the A8 in my car is a preventive flush followed by a tune.)

aldaran 08-26-2018 01:33 PM

You would think seeing all these issues re-occur after their "solution" GM would acknowledge a tune fix if that is truly the only permanent solution. My car had its TC replaced last year, and here we are again, with the harsh shifting that usually leads into the shuddering. I guess it's time for another free TC.

Turkish01 08-26-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldaran (Post 10293869)
You would think seeing all these issues re-occur after their "solution" GM would acknowledge a tune fix if that is truly the only permanent solution. My car had its TC replaced last year, and here we are again, with the harsh shifting that usually leads into the shuddering. I guess it's time for another free TC.

Yeah, got the car back friday. Service advisor said they used the new converter and fluid. It runs how its supposed to now but for how long?

Rock-It Man 08-28-2018 11:55 AM

All these Gen6 A8 stories are disheartening.

If I owned one, I would sell it while still under warranty. Not sure what I would replace it with at this point.

Full disclosure: I own a 2010 and while I have thought about how I would like to have the faster Gen6, so far I am hesitating.

People say that you hear only the bad news in the forum. But I gotta tell you, several of the Gen5 problems reported here were problems on my car, including the dreaded AFM lifter bleed down and startup clatter. Sure the car is fun, but is it worth investing all my hopes in yet another car with a major drivetrain problem?

aldaran 09-06-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkish01 (Post 10293982)
Yeah, got the car back friday. Service advisor said they used the new converter and fluid. It runs how its supposed to now but for how long?

Exactly, when mine was replaced it ran perfect. Shifted smooth like my old faithfuls (2000 Camaro and 2005 Silverado). But its slowly coming back and will most likely take it in pretty soon. Does anyone know what the revised part number is for the torque converter that is supposedly going to fix this issue?

speedup 09-06-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkish01 (Post 10293982)

glad dealer is taking care of you - please keep us updated on any issues with this TC!

Dysan911 09-06-2018 10:23 AM

Honestly, there were many times I thought I made a mistake going with the M6 but hearing stories like these quite regular on this forum I'm kinda glad I don't have to deal with it. This is the kind of issue that would drive me crazy and having to rely on the dealer to resolve it only makes it worse. Seems GM got the A10 just perfect though.

Hope they get this completely resolved for you guys!.

DiGiam 09-17-2018 08:35 PM

I need another converter too. First one changed at 14k miles and needs another one now at 36k. I’m so done with this car. Looks great and has good power but I’ve had it. Rear end groan, 2 converters, valve body, and to much other shit to type. I’m done

JaxChris 09-18-2018 09:13 PM

Hey OP, have you put at least 200 miles on the new converter and fluid yet? Did they set fast adapt relearn right before they gave the car back to you? What's the verdict? Last time they just flushed and set relearn on my unit they said after 1000 miles it should be like new -- but that was never my experience.

Today my dealer service manager emailed me to say they ordered me a new torque converter and negative & ground cables. I've had TC lockup issues (low speed lunging and reverse delays lockup before slamming into gear at part throttle) and hard restarts when hot (after driving for a couple hours, stop for less than 30 mins and strained/failed restart).

They said it was found that some cables have resistance problems and the issue becomes worse when the car is hot. Torque converter is going to be from the new version; both kits are on order.

I didn't initiate this service. I gave up on GM TAC months ago after they refused to admit the TC lockup and its' programming are the problem -- I specifically called out that it shouldn't be doing lockup in reverse, let alone late, and that engaging lockup at low throttle of 1st and 2nd was also too aggressive. TAC response was mute, so I just stopped going in for service.

I'm quite surprised that the dealer reached out to me months later to say they have new parts on order for me and will reach out once they arrive to schedule the repair. They also mentioned they are currently neck deep in transmission work, so I might not get to bring it in right away.

We'll see what happens.