CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   1LE Black Hood - Temps on Track? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606508)

Corbs09 06-13-2022 03:48 PM

1LE Black Hood - Temps on Track?

Does anyone have any data of under hood temps while tracking their car with the matte black vinyl installed? I recently removed my vinyl because it was trashed with water spots and have a white car. I want to reinstall the vinyl, however was afraid in Texas this may just make more heat under the hood.

My assumption is under hood temps will be higher with the matte black hood, particularly at the track in Texas this summer. Anyone have any real life experience on this?

kropscamaro16 06-13-2022 04:05 PM

i just got a hood vent installed in my hood and was going to wrap it after maybe but i thought about same thing the other day lol

synolimit 06-13-2022 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corbs09 (Post 11186662)
Does anyone have any data of under hood temps while tracking their car with the matte black vinyl installed? I recently removed my vinyl because it was trashed with water spots and have a white car. I want to reinstall the vinyl, however was afraid in Texas this may just make more heat under the hood.

My assumption is under hood temps will be higher with the matte black hood, particularly at the track in Texas this summer. Anyone have any real life experience on this?

the hoods in 2 pieces. this acts as heat shield in either direction. once moving, airs flowing over both ways, it doesnt matter.

Corbs09 06-14-2022 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synolimit (Post 11186808)
the hoods in 2 pieces. this acts as heat shield in either direction. once moving, airs flowing over both ways, it doesnt matter.

Yeah, I had to take the hood apart to unwrap it. I might re-wrap it or do some testing at my next track day. I think once air is moving over it, it would be fine, but I am not as sure when it comes to sitting in the paddock after a session with the hood down.

LOL sounds like I am overthinking this.

ponyboy96 06-14-2022 01:46 PM

No different than a black car my guess. I’d suggest keeping the hood open on the paddock.

SATINSTEEL1LE 06-14-2022 03:04 PM

The point of the black hood wrap is *ONLY* to stop any reflection from the sun bouncing off the hood and into your eyes/windshield. There is no heat benefit from it intended or otherwise.

Sure it looks cool, but its literally to cut down light refection on-track.

Corbs09 06-14-2022 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE (Post 11187099)
The point of the black hood wrap is *ONLY* to stop any reflection from the sun bouncing off the hood and into your eyes/windshield. There is no heat benefit from it intended or otherwise.

Sure it looks cool, but its literally to cut down light refection on-track.

Well you learn something new every day! Thank you