CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   ZL1 exhaust/tune questions and opinions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546721)

benjaminforeal 01-22-2019 08:50 AM

ZL1 exhaust/tune questions and opinions

Hi all. Proud new owner of a black 2019 ZL1. She's at the shop now getting ppf and window tint.

Looking at general ideas to get some more sound. I have a few questions..

I must pass emissions in my state. Will deleting 2nd cats hinder the emissions passing?

I'm leaning towards an x-pipe and axle backs. Will I be able to keep the functionality of the exhaust mode tone change?

Last but not least, what are my limitations for stock tune parameters.. I want to do exhaust, Cai, and probably a mild ported throttle body to help with the throttle respond. Would I be ok with all of these bolt ons?

Thanks
Ben

Can'tHave2MuchHP 01-22-2019 10:03 AM

No tune needed for TB, CAI and Exhaust. If you delete PRIMARY cats and/or add Headers, then you will need a tune.

Any axle back is going to remove the OEM valved exhaust. However, there are some exhaust companies, namely Borla, that DO have valves on them and operate like stock. Namely Borla has this setup. Then go for a Roto-fab CAI and either a Katech or Tony Mamo TB and you'll be set.

No idea on the emissions in your state. Note that any cat-back exhaust that does not delete secondary cats will require you to cut the factory exhaust.

CompleteStreet 01-22-2019 10:19 AM

Give us a call @ the number below. We cans set you up on a great deal with something like Borla that keeps your NPP.

RedHot18 01-22-2019 10:23 AM

I put a TB, cold air, Borla Attack cat back exhaust , no check engine light and it runs great.
Best of all warranty is still good.

benjaminforeal 01-22-2019 10:59 AM

Great advice guys, thank you! Looking forward to getting some parts slapped on this beast!

waterman 01-22-2019 02:39 PM

I believe that the secondary cats are to meet CARB level emissions requirements.

CARB required states are CA, CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NJ, and NM manufactured 2011 and later.
CARB (2016 and later) now also includes NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA and DC.

GA is non CARB. You SHOULD have no problem with emissions testing. I would however double check your state regs.

SJFGTO 01-22-2019 03:46 PM

You will not need the secondary cats if you are in a county in Georgia that requires emissions testing. I live in Georgia.

Stealth7 01-22-2019 03:51 PM

My '18 ZL1 A10 has Rotofab Intake (normal, dry) and Borla S-Type Exhaust (complete from Secondary CATS/Resonators back). Awesome sound, retains sound Valves and no codes. Highly Recommended! Both adds appear to be excellent quality!

BDivine76 01-22-2019 06:08 PM

TB and CAI

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompleteStreet (Post 10417355)
Give us a call @ the number below. We cans set you up on a great deal with something like Borla that keeps your NPP.

I'm a fan of your YouTube videos. How about a deal on a TB and CAI?

hashtag 01-22-2019 08:55 PM

Borla S-Stype is a factory option on many GM models. Best sounding exhaust & the NPP Active exhaust stays intact. It is not inexpensive by any means but you get what you pay for. I have a Ported T-Body, Roto-Fab CAI & the Borla exhaust. Car is fast as F.

fosterelli 01-22-2019 10:06 PM

I'm thinking of getting the Borla ATAK. I like that it'll have the exhaust valves. Told the wife I'd wait until next month since I'm getting the PS4S mounted tomorrow.

Chris C 1SS 1LE 01-23-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fosterelli (Post 10417968)
I'm thinking of getting the Borla ATAK. I like that it'll have the exhaust valves. Told the wife I'd wait until next month since I'm getting the PS4S mounted tomorrow.

Sig...👀

fredz 01-23-2019 02:18 PM

Boys, gotta be honest, I just want the sound, requested below. I am a car person but clueless re: exhaust....deletes, and what to delete.....cat back vs axle back...Lost boy here.

I am in the look stage and so confused with so many options.
Personally, I had the Shelby gt350 and the OPEN exhaust was the tops!!!! I would love th get something like that. I am thinking Cat delete, or muffler delete or resonator delete.....something simple and easy that keeps the NPP working while still getting the deep throated sound. I want it noticeable and growling but not totally obnoxious

Stealth7 01-23-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredz (Post 10418512)
Boys, gotta be honest, I just want the sound, requested below. I am a car person but clueless re: exhaust....deletes, and what to delete.....cat back vs axle back...Lost boy here.

I am in the look stage and so confused with so many options.
Personally, I had the Shelby gt350 and the OPEN exhaust was the tops!!!! I would love th get something like that. I am thinking Cat delete, or muffler delete or resonator delete.....something simple and easy that keeps the NPP working while still getting the deep throated sound. I want it noticeable and growling but not totally obnoxious

Borla S type cat-back.