CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   School Me on Catch Cans (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545273)

Silverado57 01-01-2019 09:19 AM

School Me on Catch Cans

Happy New Year guys.

I'm the proud owner of a 2017 2SS. I see a lot of posts and discussions here about catch cans. My son just put one on his Chrysler SRT8 and insists the Camaro should have one too.

What is the purpose for the catch can? I have zero intention of tracking my Camaro convertible. Is there some benefit even for a car that will not necessarily be tracked or raced? Thanks. :pop2:

Soleil 01-01-2019 09:29 AM

Before I start writing for hours just watch a few movies.
https://youtu.be/Tbja6B79-rM

Dysan911 01-01-2019 09:33 AM

Yes! Pretty much all direct injected engines would benefit greatly from a CC. back in the day when Fuel Injectors were part of the intake, that oily mist being pulled into the intake by the PCV valve was being rinsed in Fuel keeping the valves clean so no harm but with Direct Injection there isn't any fuel vapor being mixed in the Intake so that oily mist gets all over the valves and eventually builds up, hardens and disrupts airflow on intake/exhaust valves.

The Catchcan is just an Oil separator and will literally catch the oil before it enters the intake. You'll just need to empty it periodically like say when you do an oil change.

Hope that helps!

Magnum922 01-01-2019 10:09 AM

If you care about a warranty don't do it. if no warranty try it. Just remember to empty it every oil change.

avalonandl 01-01-2019 10:13 AM

Catch cans are not needed...... Thats one side of the argument.

They are great at catching moisture/condensation.... not good for your motor....

Martinjlm 01-01-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avalonandl (Post 10398322)
Catch cans are not needed...... Thats one side of the argument.

They are great at catching moisture/condensation.... not good for your motor....

This is almost exactly what I was told by the Chief Engineer for the Small Block V8 (includes LT1 and LT4). He stopped short of saying it would cause damage, but did say it would void my warranty and that there were much better ways to spend my money. I asked him about it before I bought my 2017 LT1 Vert as I approached my retirement from GM.

Silverado57 01-01-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 10398372)
This is almost exactly what I was told by the Chief Engineer for the Small Block V8 (includes LT1 and LT4). He stopped short of saying it would cause damage, but did say it would void my warranty and that there were much better ways to spend my money. I asked him about it before I bought my 2017 LT1 Vert as I approached my retirement from GM.

When you say "it would cause damage" are you referring to the catch can or the moisture?

Martinjlm 01-01-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinjlm (Post 10398372)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverado57 (Post 10398387)
When you say "it would cause damage" are you referring to the catch can or the moisture?

That's probably a better question for avalonandl. As I mentioned, Jordan stopped short of saying anything about damage, but said it would void my warranty. That was a conversation specifically about catch cans.

Martinjlm 01-01-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullpower (Post 10398436)
I, and I am sure the OP, am looking for a definitive clarification as to exactly WHY a catch can would void warranty. Just because it’s there is NOT a reason.

We need an engineers explanation of how exactly a catch can will in FACT cause problems that would not be covered under warranty.

It wasn’t part of our conversation or I would have mentioned it. Hearing from the CE that it wasn’t worth the $$ AND that it would void my warranty was enough for me to walk away from it. And again, he did not say that it would cause problems. I can say from my knowledge of service and warranty policies that the process of modifying the engine with parts not previously certified by an automaker is grounds for voiding the warranty. The parts themselves do not have to be proven to cause damage. The performance of the modification to add them voids the warranty. For example...adding a GM Accessories CAI and tune will not void your warranty, because GM has tested and certified it. Adding a third party brand CAI and tune will void your warranty. GM doesn’t have to prove that your CAI caused a problem. Just that it was an unauthorized uncertified modification is enough to void the warranty.

DC5 01-01-2019 02:34 PM

Catch can=snake oil.

That's all you need to know, though many will disagree with this position.

redcoats1976 01-01-2019 02:37 PM

i have to admit i was surprised when my tech advisor at the GM dealer said it would void my warranty.never put one on for that reason ,and at 40,000 miles everything is still fine.

Martinjlm 01-01-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullpower (Post 10398514)
There still has to be a reason it voids the warranty. It’s illegal for any car company to arbitrarily void a factory warranty without proving the modifications directly cause any issues.

Believe that if you want. You would be wrong.

18ss376 01-01-2019 04:17 PM

Don't buy Mishimoto, mine did not work at all. I have a JLT on order & have heard better results than the Mishimoto.