CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   supercharging a 2016 SS LT1 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463749)

68camarofan 08-17-2016 08:46 PM

supercharging a 2016 SS LT1

I may be picking up a 2SS 8speed auto and may throw a whipple on it.
I know the crank is forged but what are the pistons and rods ?
How much boost and power can the LT1 handle ?
Where in the central Florida area can I have a blower install and tune done for this car ?
It seems everywhere I look there are a ton of options for Mustangs but not for Camaros.

fzr100098 08-17-2016 08:56 PM

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...45&postcount=3

TransAmx2 08-18-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68camarofan (Post 9264786)
I may be picking up a 2SS 8speed auto and may throw a whipple on it.
I know the crank is forged but what are the pistons and rods ?
How much boost and power can the LT1 handle ?
Where in the central Florida area can I have a blower install and tune done for this car ?
It seems everywhere I look there are a ton of options for Mustangs but not for Camaros.

As the link above shows pistons are not forged and would arguably need to be upgraded at 650 rwhp

I don't have 1st hand experience with installers but Florida Speed & Power in Bradenton (near Tampa) comes highly recommended.

As for the mustang options vs camaro, I think it's just simple math, the Mustang 5.0 coyote engine has been out since 2011, that's almost 6 years of RnD to produce aftermarket supercharger packages. The LT1 only came to the camaro new this year, it will take a little while for the aftermarket to catch up. There are plenty of options, Procharger, Magnuson, Edlebrock E-Force, Whipple, LT4.

Mighunter 08-18-2016 11:08 AM

I'm interested in putting in a supercharger at some point myself, but I don't want to have to upgrade tires, driveshafts etc. so I want to add more power but not to the point of insanity. No idea what the best supercharger for the LT1 is and maybe its too early to add one since I don't want to be on the bleeding edge. I'll wait and see how the different manufactures do and how they perform as well as what ultimately becomes the consensus of people here who have installed one indicate which is best.

mariojmoe 08-18-2016 11:10 AM

My adivice would be an lt4 blower. It's not too big and makes great dd power along with a cam and dod delete. It's the way I'm going (along with lt4 heads)

Mighunter 08-18-2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariojmoe (Post 9265643)
My adivice would be an lt4 blower. It's not too big and makes great dd power along with a cam and dod delete. It's the way I'm going (along with lt4 heads)

Where is the best place to buy one?

Mighunter 08-18-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariojmoe (Post 9265643)

I see ADM has posted some threads about putting an LT4 blower on a 2016 SS. They appear to be selling a kit on their website. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm not very knowledgeable bout this stuff to be honest, but from what I understand this is the same set up that comes factory in the Z06. I like the fact that these are the same parts used by the OEM.

Is this one difficult to install? Does it have any issues/bugs?

Atomic Ed 08-18-2016 02:05 PM

In my opinion, the LT4 SC is a great choice, but be aware that the torque comes on very quickly, which does hammer/strain the engine more than the other kits. On the other hand, early torque makes driving a hoot. Not saying the LT1 can't handle it, it's just more, quicker.

Go to the FI sub-section and study. Don't get in a hurry.

Mighunter 08-18-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomic Ed (Post 9265996)
In my opinion, the LT4 SC is a great choice, but be aware that the torque comes on very quickly, which does hammer/strain the engine more than the other kits. On the other hand, early torque makes driving a hoot. Not saying the LT1 can't handle it, it's just more, quicker.

Go to the FI sub-section and study. Don't get in a hurry.

Yeah I'll spend some time over there this weekend. Again, I know shit about superchargers. What I do know is that if I were to put one on, I want one that is as bug free as possible. I would be glad to give up 50-100 horse power for a unit that will work all the time every time.

Seems to me that if the LT4 is being used by the factor on the LT1 engine, that makes it the most attractive option for me. I'll be 44 next week, I'm not looking to set my hair on fire, but adding some more power would be fun.

I did email ADM performance and I was told that they can't do a 2017 yet because they had some software/hardware issues to work out. They also said they aren't sending kits out yet but are doing them in house.

I was told that it would be $6200 plus the cost of transporting the car to Texas from where I live in RI.

Since its not my daily driver, if they get stuff straightened out, it might be a good thing to do during the winter months but i'm not in any rush.

I'll read up and get a bit more intelligent on this issue but looking forward to hopefully reading more reviews from people who have added the LT4 to their 2016 camaro.

Joe

My87z28 08-18-2016 05:56 PM

$6200 is a great price if that's the supercharger, install, and dyno tune!

I've had one semi-local place quote me $10,000 for a maggie install, using the maggie tune, so not dyno tuned. Needless to say my car is still NA.

Mighunter 08-19-2016 12:17 PM

I emailed Whipple and they said their supercharger will be out in about 60 days for the 2016-17 camaro's. I like that you can get them in different colors. may have to go with the white one on mine. :)

Lhughes 08-19-2016 02:51 PM

Whipple Color option adds $600 to cost..

Mighunter 08-19-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhughes (Post 9267901)
Whipple Color option adds $600 to cost..

I know, the cost of being cool I guess :)

68camarofan 08-21-2016 04:25 PM

Any opinion of Magnussen vs Edelbrock supercharger or opinion about the Whipple ?

It seems the Edelbrock and Magnussen are both 2300 TVS.
Which is better ?