CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Sports Lounge (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   College athletes unionizing? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349545)

bigd1276 03-26-2014 03:30 PM

College athletes unionizing?

Any thoughts??

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/college-f...s-can-unionize

45thAnniversary2SS 03-26-2014 03:32 PM

I think they deserve to be reimbursed, so let them unionize. Colleges make billions off those players.

bigd1276 03-26-2014 05:37 PM

Then they could go on strike? Have lockouts? Pay them union dues? Have union reps? Collegiate political action committees? When would they have time for class?

45thAnniversary2SS 03-26-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd1276 (Post 7528304)
Then they could go on strike? Have lockouts? Pay them union dues? Have union reps? Collegiate political action committees? When would they have time for class?

Yes to all of the above. Regarding time for class.. that doesn't make much sense. Doubt it would change much in that respect.

jrhagen 03-26-2014 06:11 PM

The scholarship is to attend the university not play football.

FenwickHockey65 03-26-2014 06:16 PM

Gotta love how they get to go to college for free because they're good at playing a game when others have to work their asses off just to pay for a semester.

45thAnniversary2SS 03-26-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7528399)
Gotta love how they get to go to college for free because they're good at playing a game when others have to work their asses off just to pay for a semester.

True, but think of all the hard work they put in developing those skills. Disclaimer: I'm one that worked their ass off (2 jobs to pay my way through college).

Bhobbs 03-26-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS (Post 7527984)
I think they deserve to be reimbursed, so let them unionize. Colleges make billions off those players.

They do get reimbursed in the form of tuition, food, books, housing and all the other crap other students have to pay for.

bigd1276 03-26-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 7528757)
They do get reimbursed in the form of tuition, food, books, housing and all the other crap other students have to pay for.

Not to mention all of the preferential treatment and glorification they receive. Guess that's not enough.

dorfmac 03-26-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd1276 (Post 7528783)
Not to mention all of the preferential treatment and glorification they receive. Guess that's not enough.

As a former college athlete, I can tell you first hand that those who are glorified are few and far between in the overall college athletics landscape. For every University of Georgia football player, there are 50 Quinnipiac University women's soccer players.

Playing a division 3 sport, I was swimming/doing swim team stuff for over 30 hours a week. Division 1 athletes (particularly for the big sports) are involved for well over 40 in many cases. Between mandatory study halls, class, training, etc. there is no way these people have time for a job to earn themselves spending money - it was tough to even make sure I could afford my beer for the weekend. There are plenty of things to pay for in college besides just tuition, books, and meals.

Some of these athletes bring in so much money for the school, the school should give some back.

For those saying it's unfair to "regular" students, at a lot of these schools that could afford to pay their athletes, it's the athletic department that is the schools greatest source of income after tuition revenue. All that money benefits all students on campus re: facilities (academic and athletic), faculty hiring/retention/development, etc.

Everyone benefits from these athletes endeavors, many of whom (athletes) don't have a monetary future in their sport anyways.

AZCamaroFan 03-26-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7528399)

:word:

while I agree the college's are making a ton off sports, they are really making it off the loyalty to that college, not the particular athlete's there.
so basically this is opening the door to athlete's going to school for free AND getting paid.

Everyone else pony up tens of thousands per year.
Oh and since the schools are making this much off of sports I think we need an investigation as to why tuition is going up and Up and UP.

45thAnniversary2SS 03-26-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 7528757)

No, definitely agree there. I don't think that reimbursment should come from the school. That money is theirs.

I'm only saying if a player is good enough for Nike, etc. to offer them a shoe sponsorship then then should be able to get paid.

Silverlsinva 03-26-2014 11:33 PM

This is one of those catch 22 or damn if u do and damn if don't type of things. yes the schools make out a lot of money from some of the top student athletes in football and basketball and if they get reimbursed for play so will every other student who receives a scholarship who plays any sport even if it doesn't make the school a ton of money. I don't know the perfect answer to solve the issues but I was watching Crowd Goes wild on Fox sports 1 and one of the panelist said give the students a choice of Paid school or Pay to play the game and nothing else, Also one said that maybe they should get paid when they finally do graduate from said school after 4 years of playing also not all of the scholarship students end up in the Nfl or Nba making millions of dollars either.

dorfmac 03-27-2014 07:54 AM

I also think that at the very least, college athletes should be provided medical insurance by the school.

I think they should receive a nominal stipend for additional expenses besides books/tuition/food ($1000/month school is in session?). Rhode's Scholars receive monthly stipends, so they must think it's a good idea, and I'm sure whoever runs that program is pretty smart...

I think they should be allowed to pursue outside sponsorships.