CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   Ride quality (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537132)

beedo 08-25-2018 03:25 AM

Ride quality

I am in the market for a camaro and had my sights on a zl1 but I need them to come down in price about 15k so the wife wont get too btchy about the payment. I just found about the ss 1le and I have to say the car is beautiful and in my current budget. I have read the zl1 1le is like riding in a tank and was wondering if the ss 1le rides the same as the car will be a mostly daily driver unless its raining too much and I'll drive the wifes Denali.

JeromeS13 08-25-2018 03:37 AM

The ride quality will be essentially the same between the regular ZL1 and the SS 1LE.

beedo 08-25-2018 03:44 AM

Kinda what I thought but with the magnetic ride I wasn't sure. I have read on here a lot of guys dd the ss 1le and very few do it in the zl1 forums.

Gunkk 08-25-2018 04:43 AM

:welcome: beedo

I test drove a 2ss w/ MRC before the Z. SS 1LE wasn't available and besides I'm a vert type. I liked the firmer non-1LE-ZL1 more (more grip, more tossable, more stable, without any more harshness). Like Jerome, I would expect the SS1LE to be similar in ride and handling to the Z for $30k less with the bonus of a couple hundred pounds less weight and penalty of a couple hundred less HP.

Recommend you go drive both and decide for yourself.

pbsinternet1le 08-25-2018 06:48 AM

Ride is not an issue in the 1le..

TrackClub 08-25-2018 07:16 AM

With MRC you can select 3 different ride settings: touring, sport and track. I dont think youll get a ZL1 for $15G below msrp, so drive an SS 1le and see what ya think. I drive mine some long distances to/from tracks plus some dd in touring and like it tons. But dont expect Denali like experience :)

benjj 08-25-2018 07:16 AM

The zl1 1le is a more aggressive version of the zl1. Its suspension is geared for turning great lap times with little to no focus on everyday comfort driving. The zl1 and regular ss both have adjustable mag ride that can be made comfortable for everyday driving with the click of a button. I daily a ss 1le and can say it’s completely livable and wouldn’t equate it to a tank.

WhyUMad1LE 08-25-2018 10:11 AM

The ride is good unless you are on some really uneven pavement that flexes the sway bars.

Turbo_J89 08-25-2018 10:50 AM

MRC on the SS 1LE has 3 mods:

1) Firm
2) Really firm
3) Dear God that's firm

I DD in the softest setting and although it's a little rough, it's not punishing. Really fits for what the car is...and all Camaro's have been given the tank analogy since 2010. You either love the car or you don't.

wjones14 08-25-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 (Post 10293109)
MRC on the SS 1LE has 3 mods:

1) Firm
2) Really firm
3) Dear God that's firm

I DD in the softest setting and although it's a little rough, it's not punishing. Really fits for what the car is...and all Camaro's have been given the tank analogy since 2010. You either love the car or you don't.

I agree with this. The magnetic ride control is not some miracle that gives you a plush ride. Compared to the BMW I traded in, the Camaro is stiff and rides rough. Around town, I used the MyLink settings to keep the suspension in Tour mode no matter what, and even at that setting, it's still stiffer and bounces around more than my BMW did in Sport mode. Maybe it's not fair comparing the ride to a BMW, and I'm not saying the Camaro is a horrible ride, but it's certainly way more on the sporty side than the luxury side.

Apex_Missing_Ape 08-25-2018 11:39 AM

For me the SS 1LE rides really well, but I came out of a Focus RS that would just beat the shit out of you. I would compare the SS 1LE comfort to that my old E92 M3.

beedo 08-25-2018 12:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I have debated waiting on getting a low mile zl1 in 6 to 8 months or a ss 1le tomorrow lol. I dont mind a firm ride at all but it is the wife that will complain! Love the info on this site thanks!

Turbo_J89 08-25-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beedo (Post 10293185)
Thanks for all the replies, I have debated waiting on getting a low mile zl1 in 6 to 8 months or a ss 1le tomorrow lol. I dont mind a firm ride at all but it is the wife that will complain! Love the info on this site thanks!

Buy the car you want and let your wife deal with it. If she doesn't like it, she can drive the Denali :headbang:

I've got the same deal going with my wife. I drive the SS 1LE which she refuses to ride in for over 30 min and she's got the Silverado crew cab 1500 high country. Long trips are taken in the truck. Win win scenario.

beedo 08-25-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 (Post 10293204)
Buy the car you want and let your wife deal with it. If she doesn't like it, she can drive the Denali:headbang:

She drives the Denali, I drive a kia :crazy:. I have a built ws6 I'm going to sell as well, I am about to turn 40 and my son started college and my daughter will be driving in 4 months so I no longer need a family car for once in a lonnnnnng time, I want the zl1 and that's what I'm shooting for but the 1le sure is sexy.