CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   ROTOR RINGS (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598261)

kropscamaro16 10-12-2021 10:49 AM

ROTOR RINGS

since it appears dba is out of stock on rotor rings anybody use the girodisc ones on their ss/1le with the bbk? i have the zzp kit on my car and am going to replace the rotors next year and was looking at oem replacement vs rotor rings and saw these but couldnt find much info on here about them

also anybody try out the girodisc pads? only see front option tho so not sure what people are using on the rears?

olblue75 10-12-2021 02:46 PM

Do you have a link to what your looking at?

kropscamaro16 10-12-2021 02:48 PM

yes sorry

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-item/496...or+Hats+-+PAIR

SDF62 10-12-2021 04:41 PM

Rotors

Hey, back in my racing days, we used Coleman Race Products a lot for the friction rings. You can send them what you need and they will make it for you. Back in the day they were very fair with their pricing. Hope that helps....

MatthewAMEL 10-12-2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 (Post 11083016)
since it appears dba is out of stock on rotor rings anybody use the girodisc ones on their ss/1le with the bbk? i have the zzp kit on my car and am going to replace the rotors next year and was looking at oem replacement vs rotor rings and saw these but couldnt find much info on here about them

also anybody try out the girodisc pads? only see front option tho so not sure what people are using on the rears?

I just talked to Ken about this last week. I am replacing my dba's after this weekend at Sebring.

He says folks are very happy with the Girodisc. I'm going to get a set since he has them on the shelf. You also have to get the hardware kit, but can re-use the OEM hat.

Side note...if you buy a set of the OEM rotors, you get rings and hats. I did that a couple of years ago to have a spare set trackside. I now rotate between the ring sets.

kropscamaro16 10-13-2021 10:13 AM

yea im trying to figure out if i want to buy new rotors or just rings my price is about the same as i have a hookup on pricing...think im gonna go back to oem gm brembo pads for now until i get my 19s and 3rs the hawk dtc60 are too agrressive for the supercar 3s

ZapperZ 10-13-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL (Post 11083334)
I just talked to Ken about this last week. I am replacing my dba's after this weekend at Sebring.

He says folks are very happy with the Girodisc. I'm going to get a set since he has them on the shelf. You also have to get the hardware kit, but can re-use the OEM hat.

Side note...if you buy a set of the OEM rotors, you get rings and hats. I did that a couple of years ago to have a spare set trackside. I now rotate between the ring sets.

Had Gyrodisc fronts for a few seasons and really liked them with Rabestos ST43 pads
Never heard of being able to use OEM hats with Gyrodisc rings
The hardware kit comes along with the rings

kropscamaro16 10-13-2021 11:44 AM

GiroDisc Replacement Rotor Rings - Pair - Slotted - Ring Only
- Direct replacement for your OEM rotor rings.
- Hardware is NOT included - please order separately.

ZapperZ 10-13-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 (Post 11083555)

GiroDisc Replacement Rotor Rings - Pair - Slotted - Ring Only
- Direct replacement for your OEM rotor rings.
- Hardware is NOT included - please order separately.

I forgot you're an SS 1LE owner
I went with the Gyrodisc front kit rotor and hat for ZL1 1LE

kropscamaro16 10-13-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZapperZ (Post 11083585)
I forgot you're an SS 1LE owner
I went with the Gyrodisc front kit rotor and hat for ZL1 1LE

im actually a ss owner with a zzp bbk but its the oem 1le rotors haha

weemus 10-13-2021 08:07 PM

I have the Giro Disc rings. They work just fine but I'll not be buying another set. I bought them because DBA was out and the stock discs were up to $425+. In retrospect I will be buying a stock replacement set next go around. Two issues I have with the Giro Disc rings which may or may not be an issue with others are due to the slotting.
1. The slots create ever so slight pedal feedback so it makes it harder to get crystal clear feedback. Its just different and they work well (see #2) but I prefer the pedal feel on the solid face discs
2. The slots work very well in creating a fresh pad surface but it cost me 1/3-1/5 (track dependent) of the pad life and I'm not getting that back in braking performance so I just increased my consumable costs...

carguy55 10-13-2021 08:35 PM

I've used both DBA and Girodisc.

5.M0NSTER 10-13-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weemus (Post 11083775)
I have the Giro Disc rings. They work just fine but I'll not be buying another set. I bought them because DBA was out and the stock discs were up to $425+. In retrospect I will be buying a stock replacement set next go around. Two issues I have with the Giro Disc rings which may or may not be an issue with others are due to the slotting.
1. The slots create ever so slight pedal feedback so it makes it harder to get crystal clear feedback. Its just different and they work well (see #2) but I prefer the pedal feel on the solid face discs
2. The slots work very well in creating a fresh pad surface but it cost me 1/3-1/5 (track dependent) of the pad life and I'm not getting that back in braking performance so I just increased my consumable costs...

I have noticed what you described with non Gyro Disk slotted rotors as well. The pads disappear more quickly with slotted single piece disks too. I also reached the same conclusion about being better off with solid rotors. :happy0180:

kropscamaro16 10-14-2021 10:16 AM

if the price was the same would you guys do the gyrodisc ones again or just buy full oem rotors?