CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Trailer Tie Down Methods (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623800)

JSH 03-05-2024 02:32 PM

Trailer Tie Down Methods

I'll be hauling the car in a rented 20-24 ft. single-car hauler that will either have four tie-down rings or E-Track connections. With previous cars, I put a tie-down strap thru each wheel such that it pulled against the wheel, not the spoke, and tightened it down with a ratcheting strap.

Wouldn't you think a 6' or 8' ratcheting strap would be long enough for a trailer of this length?

Have you found a better way to tie-down a Camaro?

split_bumper 03-05-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 11409183)
I'll be hauling the car in a rented 20-24 ft. single-car hauler that will either have four tie-down rings or E-Track connections. With previous cars, I put a tie-down strap thru each wheel such that it pulled against the wheel, not the spoke, and tightened it down with a ratcheting strap.

Wouldn't you think a 6' or 8' ratcheting strap would be long enough for a trailer of this length?

Have you found a better way to tie-down a Camaro?

I have my car in my trailer for storage and this is how I had to tie it down. The front I went with an axle strap around the lower control arm, the rear, there was no where easy to tie it down to, the plastic shields around the lower arms make it hard to use axle straps. I ended up having to go around the rims like you mentioned for the rear. I also had it up on some blocks to get some extra room underneath to get straps on. I will follow along to see if anyone else has some better ideas.

If you can get longer straps go with them, having more rather than not enough won't hurt.

Joshinator99 03-05-2024 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tie down through the wheels as well. Seems to work out well.

CalgaryZL1 03-05-2024 05:43 PM

Any connection that eliminates the suspension is a good tiedown point

CalgaryZL1 03-05-2024 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Front and rear strap points if you don’t want to touch the tires, and you don’t need much downforce. The car was designed to be planted already.

Vtor_ZL1 03-05-2024 06:33 PM

I prefer over tire method onto e-track or J-hooks (turn n lock type) into the "frame rail".

Always afraid that pulling wheels away from body would mess up the alignment.

CalgaryZL1 03-05-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 (Post 11409244)
I prefer over tire method onto e-track or J-hooks (turn n lock type) into the "frame rail".

Always afraid that pulling wheels away from body would mess up the alignment.

Good point ! I forgot about the over tire strap/net. The bottom line is avoid suspension load.

JSH 03-05-2024 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 11409222)
I tie down through the wheels as well. Seems to work out well.

Yeah, that's right. I've been thinking of having to use a 24" strap thru the wheel connected to a ratcheting strap but you've avoided that setup