CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Spark plug wire differences (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613096)

Redlinez 01-25-2023 10:09 AM

Spark plug wire differences

So I have a set of wires that have 140-150 ohms. The stockers measured 1400-1500 ohms. I'm wondering what difference, if any, I might notice if I went with Granatelli's 0 ohm or Texas Speed's 30 ohm wires. Big difference in the money, but I will say Granatelli did back to back dyno tests showing several Camaros/Corvettes and the gains were significant (assuming they didn't play any dyno tricks). Other wires I've seen are Fast Firewires at 25 ohms and Dragon Fire Race series.

6spdhyperblue 01-25-2023 10:59 AM

Here it comes
:popcorn:

Redlinez 01-25-2023 01:24 PM

I'm not going to bash another manufacturer, but one set dropped my gas mileage 2mpg over several tanks. I'm wondering what difference the resistance of the wires really makes. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do know it has to have some effect on the performance of the ignition system. I've seen spark plugs cause some cars to run like absolute crap, switch back to the ones that came in it and everything is fine. It's pretty hard to have the time to do back to back dyno runs and swap them out unless your friends owns a dyno.

SomeGeoffGuy 01-25-2023 02:13 PM

I always like MSD because you could put a little bend in the boot when you have headers.

-Geoff

302crossram 01-25-2023 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue (Post 11276069)
Here it comes
:popcorn:

so tempting :happyanim:

KingLT1 01-25-2023 03:13 PM

MSD seem to be problematic these days.

Granatelli, Speed Engineering, Stock all work fine. The main factors is heat resistance and durability. No gains otherwise in wires that are a foot or less in length.

adamjwilson 01-25-2023 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingLT1 (Post 11276197)
MSD seem to be problematic these days.

Granatelli, Speed Engineering, Stock all work fine. The main factors is heat resistance and durability. No gains otherwise in wires that are a foot or less in length.

I returned my MSD wires to Wildhammer. The ones they show on their site for MSD are only 10" long and do not work if you have headers. You really need a 12" set like the stock ones if you have headers. They recommended TSP wires, but I ended up staying with stock for now, as my knowledge about gains with changing out spark plug wires is nil.. :smiling1:

Redlinez 01-25-2023 03:29 PM

Thanks. I have fiberglass "heat socks" on mine.

Whitespeed 01-25-2023 04:41 PM

Resistance is not a useful metric in determining spark plug wire performance...

Quoted from Magnacor...

What is not generally understood (or is ignored) is that as a result of the laws of electricity, the potential 45,000 plus volts (with alternating current characteristics) from the ignition coil (a pulse type transformer) does not flow through the entire length of fine wire used for a spiral conductor like the 1 volt DC voltage from a test ohmmeter, but flows in a magnetic field surrounding the outermost surface of the spiral windings (skin effect). The same skin effect applies equally to the same pulsating flow of current passing through carbon and solid metal conductors.

A spiral conductor with a low electrical resistance measured by an ohmmeter indicates, in reality, nothing other than less of the expensive fine wire is used for the conductor windings — a construction which cannot achieve a clean and efficient current flow through the magnetic field surrounding the windings, resulting in poor suppression for RFI and EMI.

Joshinator99 01-25-2023 04:45 PM

Sorry, we’ve already had our weekly “best spark plug thread” a few days ago so time to close this one down. :smiling1:

Redlinez 01-25-2023 04:46 PM

That's what I was trying to figure out. Thanks a bunch! I am looking at high temp wires with suppression for RFI and EMI.

RobbyBeefcake87 01-31-2023 03:27 PM

I have the GPI wires, made by Scott's I believe, and they fit perfect with headers. Just the right length with plenty of clearance, 45 degree boot angles on both ends, thick insulation, and 30 ohms rated. Also you can get then in the color or your choice.

Redlinez 01-31-2023 03:44 PM

Thanks, I will look at those and Texas Speed’s.

Kerry 01-31-2023 06:03 PM

I really like the performance of the gpi wires. I went back to stock for a test and got many misfires. Put the gpi back on mis fires gone. The fit is perfect as well for headers. My headers are coated.