CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   All Season on SS? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434612)

pkssauce 12-30-2015 11:29 AM

All Season on SS?

So I keep going back and forth on tire/wheel thoughts for winter.

Do I get winter tires on the stock wheels?
Do I get a second set of wheels that are smaller with winter tires?
Do I get winter tires on stock wheels, then buy new wheels for summer?
Do I get all season tires for year round?

I'm kind of sticking with the last one, all season tires year round. I live in the Seattle area, we get little snow, and mostly rain all year. I was thinking maybe it would be best to get the all seasons and just keep them on, then if it does happen to snow I keep the car in the garage and take the wife's AWD SUV. I won't be tracking the car, it will be my daily driver.

What do you think?

SSport16 12-30-2015 11:59 AM

Honestly just leave the stock tires on and if it is snowy or real crappy, leave it in the garage and take the SUV...that is my plan, snow or crappy days, taking the SRX.

leadfoot93 12-30-2015 12:17 PM

I went with Continental DWS06 tires yesterday. I got them more for the driving in NY when its cold out or a inch or two of snow on the ground. Anything more than that I will work from home or take my wife's equinox.

I do plan on getting new rims in the spring for the Goodyear's for the summer

pkssauce 12-30-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadfoot93 (Post 8813911)
I went with Continental DWS06 tires yesterday. I got them more for the driving in NY when its cold out or a inch or two of snow on the ground. Anything more than that I will work from home or take my wife's equinox.

I do plan on getting new rims in the spring for the Goodyear's for the summer

Where did you get your DWSs from?

leadfoot93 12-30-2015 12:39 PM

Local tire place near me. Ended up costing a couple bucks more, but they have great service and always get you in and out fast. I was going to get them from tire rack, but 3/4 of the installers would not replace the run flat. And the others who were left couldn't do 20" rims.

pkssauce 12-30-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadfoot93 (Post 8813956)
Local tire place near me. Ended up costing a couple bucks more, but they have great service and always get you in and out fast. I was going to get them from tire rack, but 3/4 of the installers would not replace the run flat. And the others who were left couldn't do 20" rims.

Did you call ahead to them to determine the run flat part? I've heard that can be an issue.

SPARTAN sui 12-30-2015 01:57 PM

My SS will be my daily driver, I'm getting all season tires on the OEM rims, dealership is going to swap them out and buy back the run flats. When winter rolls around next year I'll pickup some 18" rims and get winter tires for those.

GTIanZ28 12-30-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkssauce (Post 8813775)
So I keep going back and forth on tire/wheel thoughts for winter.

Do I get winter tires on the stock wheels?
Do I get a second set of wheels that are smaller with winter tires?
Do I get winter tires on stock wheels, then buy new wheels for summer?
Do I get all season tires for year round?

I'm kind of sticking with the last one, all season tires year round. I live in the Seattle area, we get little snow, and mostly rain all year. I was thinking maybe it would be best to get the all seasons and just keep them on, then if it does happen to snow I keep the car in the garage and take the wife's AWD SUV. I won't be tracking the car, it will be my daily driver.

What do you think?

I'd go with the all-seasons.

I don't think many people comprehend the amount of time we North Westerners spend driving on wet roads. Year round we can anticipate rain and often standing water (hydroplaning potential).

In addition the freeway traffic in Seattle is nerve racking. Definitely not as bad as the Bay Area but, still terrible.

If you do plan to track your car get a second set of wheels for a dedicated track tire.

I have the 2LT with all seasons and I've been surprised at how good the tires are in the wet and impressed with how composed and planted the car feels in the rain.

pkssauce 12-30-2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 (Post 8814598)
I'd go with the all-seasons.

I don't think many people comprehend the amount of time we North Westerners spend driving on wet roads. Year round we can anticipate rain and often standing water (hydroplaning potential).

In addition the freeway traffic in Seattle is nerve racking. Definitely not as bad as the Bay Area but, still terrible.

If you do plan to track your car get a second set of wheels for a dedicated track tire.

I have the 2LT with all seasons and I've been surprised at how good the tires are in the wet and impressed with how composed and planted the car feels in the rain.

Thanks!

Imp 12-31-2015 07:18 AM

If you look at this frost (plant hardiness) map it generally tells where you need winter tires and where you probably don't....

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...america-im.gif

In the blue zones you should really consider winter tires. In the green zones you should probably get winter tires. In the yellow zone you probably don't need snows, but also good all seasons (like the Conti DWS06) would be preferred as temps get really cold in the winter and summer tires may be an issue, but it wouldn't hurt if you are really safety conscience. In the orange and red zones you don't need winter tires for those few times is gets below 40*, but all seasons should also get you by.

Any time that it gets below 40* at the same time it's wet, summer tires aren't the best choice. :)

--kC

SPARTAN sui 12-31-2015 01:01 PM

Lol I'm in the dark blue area of North Dakota. Can confirm winters are cold AF.

pkssauce 12-31-2015 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui (Post 8815940)

We're not too bad in Seattle. Currently a sunny 26 degrees. Makes me want to not go on my 4 mile run.

SPARTAN sui 12-31-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkssauce (Post 8815971)
We're not too bad in Seattle. Currently a sunny 26 degrees. Makes me want to not go on my 4 mile run.

It's mild right now, actually it's been mild so far this winter. Very little snow compared to prior years. It's currently 19, feels like 7. January & February are typically the brutal winter months. We'll see how this year fairs.

Imp 12-31-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui (Post 8815940)

:lol: So you have the same four seasons...

Cold, Salt, Pothole, & Repair. :lol:

--kC