CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Tire PSI (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532487)

CamaroSS50 06-27-2018 01:00 AM

Tire PSI

Question for you guys.

Got my 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty a month ago, and the baffling thing is the PSI on the tires.

It was delivered with PSI under 30, which I corrected when I found out. Then the dealership did a tire rotation & filled all the tires to 38 PSI.

Shortly after all except one tire has maintained that PSI, while the others have fallen to 35 or 34.

All this with roughly a couple hundred miles.

Is this normal for these tires? I'm concerned.

Soleil 06-27-2018 02:09 AM

The tire preassure is very sensitve. My car stays in a cold garage but as soon as I go out it just takes a few seconds and the preasure of the left side increse as the sun shines on it. I would recomment that you get your self a preasure gauge. The ones at the gas station are not the best and the preasure changes on the way to there.

crosive 06-27-2018 06:00 AM

mine fluctuates quite a bit. I try to keep them at 37 hot, which doesn't put them under 34 cold. however if the car is sitting in the sun, the sunny side tires are always higher than the shade side. It's not uncommon for me to be driving down the road with all the tires anywhere from 34-37 until a few miles heats them all up uniformly.

VinnAY 06-27-2018 06:53 AM

Always check and set mine cold when it's sat in the garage overnight. Anything else and you've got the atmospheric at play like sun and air temp that will effect the PSI. Assuming youre using air vs nitrogen.

Glen e 06-27-2018 07:00 AM

Tires should always be checked and adjusted COLD. Every tire mfr will tell you that.

About five years ago I worked on a project with a Continental tire engineer where we were going around giving information seminars at dealerships regarding the new run flats on BMWs. He spoke of a tip that I use to this day; for a daily driver, for any type tire, always fill when cold, the tire with 1 to 2 pounds more than what is required on the door sill. You get 10-15% better mileage and no problems with wear or handling, it's basically imperceptible.

crosive 06-27-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinnAY (Post 10231922)
Always check and set mine cold when it's sat in the garage overnight. Anything else and you've got the atmospheric at play like sun and air temp that will effect the PSI. Assuming youre using air vs nitrogen.

I'll chime in on nitrogen as I'm hoping no one is paying for it in their tires. If you get it for free, by all means, take it, but do *not* pay for it.

they wanted to charge me $190 for nitrogen when I bought my car. It's stupid. compressed air is already ~78% nitrogen. the principle is sound, that nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen etc. However, since most compressed air is that much nitrogen anyways, you aren't getting much different than what you'd normally get from a simple air compressor.

Everything being equal (same size tire, same temp, same rim, etc) you'd only lose ~1 psi less over the course of ~60 days than with compressed air.

nitrogen in tires is almost like snake oil. If you see otherwise, there are absolutely other factors involved changing what you're seeing.

Also, I agree with Glen. I've always ran 1-2 psi more than recommended (while hot) in everything I drive, and I've never gotten abnormal wear that wasn't alignment based.

BradfordCamaro 06-27-2018 10:13 AM

Run mine at 34. Get to 38 hot.

SDG23 06-27-2018 10:21 AM

I need to put air in mine, especially my rear left one, it's currently got 0 PSI. I'm buying new tires for it instead of replacing my flat run-flat.

HackSaw 06-27-2018 12:04 PM

Ive always run tire pressure couple lbs high for better mileage And a couple lbs low when selling for a better ride

NUCAR 06-27-2018 12:09 PM

They rotated your tires??? On an SS??!! Take it back ASAP:sad0147:paddle:

Emoto 06-27-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 10231926)
Tires should always be checked and adjusted COLD. Every tire mfr will tell you that.

About five years ago I worked on a project with a Continental tire engineer where we were going around giving information seminars at dealerships regarding the new run flats on BMWs. He spoke of a tip that I use to this day; for a daily driver, for any type tire, always fill when cold, the tire with 1 to 2 pounds more than what is required on the door sill. You get 10-15% better mileage and no problems with wear or handling, it's basically imperceptible.

I do this too, because I am frugal. :lol::thumbsup:

CamaroSS50 06-27-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleil (Post 10231854)
The tire preassure is very sensitve. My car stays in a cold garage but as soon as I go out it just takes a few seconds and the preasure of the left side increse as the sun shines on it. I would recomment that you get your self a preasure gauge. The ones at the gas station are not the best and the preasure changes on the way to there.

The PSI numbers are coming from OnStar, etc. I have verified them with my own inflator (Goodyear i8000 120-Volt Direct Drive Tire Inflator).

My concern is the speed to which these numbers drop as well as how much they drop, leaving me to believe there is an issue as the vehicle was built in June 2017, sat on the lot until I purchased it on May 26th 2018

If the swing in PSI is something that is normal, one less things for me to worry about.

GroundhogSS 06-27-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUCAR (Post 10232238)
They rotated your tires??? On an SS??!! Take it back ASAP:sad0147:paddle:

They're asymmetric, not unidirectional. They can be rotated from side to side, just not front to rear.

twoballscrewball 06-27-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GroundhogSS (Post 10232702)
They're asymmetric, not unidirectional. They can be rotated from side to side, just not front to rear.

.....And I just learned something. Figured they were directional looking at them. :)