CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   SC3 tire life (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624052)

OneTimeAccount 03-12-2024 02:58 PM

SC3 tire life

2 Attachment(s)
Think I can get one more day out of these? They have 4500 miles and 2 track days. 2024 2SS 1LE.

First time running these and I’m not sure how they look right before they cord. Left front and left rear pictured.

Edit: not sure why it posted the rear photo upside down.

beworthy3 03-12-2024 03:32 PM

These tires definitely have life left. You can get one more day out of them. Probably more. They will look like slicks when the cords come knocking

SSEssence 03-12-2024 03:50 PM

Definitely can get one or two more track days out of those.

OneTimeAccount 03-12-2024 03:51 PM

This is good to hear. I got worried about the front left inside since the wear holes are gone. Wasn’t sure how much life was left after they disappear.

My front toe was a bit off and I did lots of street driving.

cdrptrks 03-14-2024 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beworthy3 (Post 11410923)
They will look like slicks when the cords come knocking

If you wear them evenly. Personally I usually cord the inside front edges first even with thousands of street miles mixed in with my track miles.

wakespeak 03-15-2024 09:28 PM

Plenty of life left. They will cord probably on the outside first. Check after each session. My SC3Rs look like that after 6 sessions.

OneTimeAccount 03-16-2024 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakespeak (Post 11411747)
Plenty of life left. They will cord probably on the outside first. Check after each session. My SC3Rs look like that after 6 sessions.

Promising to hear but.. Even when the inside wear holes disappear? There was some but now no more lol. Outside seems to have plenty of life but the inside edge seems like it’s about to cord after a few sessions ��

Dabjbr 03-16-2024 11:04 AM

Just another vote for plenty of life left. At least 1 full track day

wakespeak 03-19-2024 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneTimeAccount (Post 11411915)
Promising to hear but.. Even when the inside wear holes disappear? There was some but now no more lol. Outside seems to have plenty of life but the inside edge seems like it’s about to cord after a few sessions ��

I saw that with too much camber. Also I run 0 toe in front which helps. Lastly too high tire pressure can wear the inside depending on camber/toe.

Inside wear can also indicate driving style. I have learned ("always learning") in terms of tire wear that, just like in pro racing "saving the tires" is part of it as you go faster at the track. Try to minimize relying on the front grip too much. Avoid pushing -ie sliding or understeer- the front end by shifting the weight forward with purpose at corner entry. Brake later, tap the brakes on slow speed, turn small connecting straights into full throttle events. On the gas/on the brakes.

If I feel the front end pushing out I am just burning up the tires and didn't hit the line correctly for that corner. The inside front tire will drag on the inner portion of the tire.

GreenZLE 03-20-2024 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakespeak (Post 11412783)
I saw that with too much camber. Also I run 0 toe in front which helps. Lastly too high tire pressure can wear the inside depending on camber/toe.

Inside wear can also indicate driving style. I have learned ("always learning") in terms of tire wear that, just like in pro racing "saving the tires" is part of it as you go faster at the track. Try to minimize relying on the front grip too much. Avoid pushing -ie sliding or understeer- the front end by shifting the weight forward with purpose at corner entry. Brake later, tap the brakes on slow speed, turn small connecting straights into full throttle events. On the gas/on the brakes.

If I feel the front end pushing out I am just burning up the tires and didn't hit the line correctly for that corner. The inside front tire will drag on the inner portion of the tire.

Would you mind sharing what hot pressures you are running? I was hopeful that MORE pressure would cause the centers to wear more. Is it in fact opposite of that?

kropscamaro16 03-20-2024 10:43 AM

fronts wear out faster than rears i usually get around 4-5 days out of a set of sc3

wakespeak 03-20-2024 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenZLE (Post 11412879)
Would you mind sharing what hot pressures you are running? I was hopeful that MORE pressure would cause the centers to wear more. Is it in fact opposite of that?

I start at 24-27psi depending on how hot the ambient is. Target hot is 32-35psi.

If you have more than around -2 camber (I have always had -2.7 or more so ok might be higher) then you can wear the insides. Sidewalls are stiff on these tires (I would say even with SC3s in addition to SC3Rs) and they are wide enough that they concentrate in a broader way. I never had middle of the tire wear first ever, even at high 38+psi hot pressures..maybe a dozen sets of tires.

From the ZL1 1LE track manual: "Target track alignment camber angles are -2.7° front camber and -2.0° rear camber. These were developed to provide the most even usage of front and rear tires and maximum grip during track driving. It is suggested to start with adjusting the front camber first as there is greater range and resolution in the front camber adjustment."

At COTA -2.7 and I still had too much outside wear but grip was good. Its more even at -3.0 but can cord inside first. Kind of depends on the season and my driving. Cold mornings and the tires will roll over longer until they warm up.

Really good handling tweak guidance regardless of Camaro:

https://www.chevrolet.com/ownercente...prep-guide.pdf

N Camarolina 03-20-2024 09:35 PM

OP, a few things to help clear up some concepts for you related to tire wear:

Front Toe setting may have larger effect on shoulder wear than camber
Most everyone here that tracks will tell you that front toe setting (being positive or anything other than 0) will tend to cause shoulder wear more so than camber does. There is probably some truth to this as many here have adopted higher front camber with zero front toe and observed even wear (across the tire face) on the track.

Tire Hot Target Pressure
Target hot temps of around 36 front and rear. The high performance supplement says 38F and 39R, but it seems to me that the tires tend to get more slippery once they get to 37.

Tire Starting Pressure @ beginning of HPDE events
You'll hear different opinions on this, but I'm getting mine from personal experience at the track (23 days and counting) as well as from a company that used to rent SS 1LEs at VIR: Don't start your tires at 27 or 28 lbs and take 2 or more complete sessions to finally get pressures up to hot target. The problem with doing this is when the tires are under pressure, you are rolling over the outside shoulder and wearing this much more excessively. So instead, better to start at 30 or 31 and get up to hot target pressures by the end of the first session. As the day progresses, let out air from the tires (a little at a time) as needed if the pressures start to exceed the HOT target pressure during a session; So if at the end of a session you get to 37 and you wanted to be at 36, let out 1 pound before the next session.

Higher negative front camber and daily driving
It's debatable how much high camber will wear the inside shoulder (depends on toe and driving style), but bear in mind that higher camber is designed to help turn-in and even out tire wear at the track tilting the tire away from the outside shoulder (towards the inside shoulder) and thus decreasing OUTSIDE shoulder tire wear. Driving with high front camber on regular streets at low G (daily driving) will at best be neutral on inside shoulder tire wear, or at worst accelerate it.