CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Front side turn lights LED conversion: possible with no resistors? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489745)

Eos 03-31-2017 12:19 PM

Front side turn lights LED conversion: possible with no resistors?

Hi all!,
I've searched the forum and found a couple of the threads talking about the possibility of having a LED conversion on the front turn lights but none of them had a solution.

What I'd like to do is to use a NO ERROR / CAN BUS LED light that could replace the factory 7440NA bulbs on my Camaro without any board computer alarm or hyper flashing. Of course I would like to keep my car harness original (no cuts, etc.) and would not like to use third party resistor harnesses.

Did someone find a solution? Does a "built-in resistor" 7440NA LED bulb exist for this purpose?

See you!!,
Eos

Rob13567 04-01-2017 02:33 PM

ijdmtoy has led with built in resistors

WallsAndFoundations 04-04-2017 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob13567 (Post 9648386)
ijdmtoy has led with built in resistors

Be wary that they aren't "built-in" as the website description says, and in all actuality​ are just the bulbs and have a resistor connected with a wire. They just don't require to be soddered on and spliced.

Rob13567 04-04-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations (Post 9652683)
Be wary that they aren't "built-in" as the website description says, and in all actuality​ are just the bulbs and have a resistor connected with a wire. They just don't require to be soddered on and spliced.

True^ I have em and am very happy with them

Diode Dynamics 04-07-2017 04:58 PM

We offer quality 7440 LED replacements, but they will require you to install resistors. It's a simple process and is easy to install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyUh1ztBH84

Thanks!
Nick C.

RideZX6R 04-09-2017 11:26 PM

How bad is getting to the bulb...

Honestly that's the true determining factor on whether I'd do this mod or not

Eos 04-10-2017 06:11 AM

Hi RideZX6R!,

Quote:

Originally Posted by RideZX6R (Post 9663664)
How bad is getting to the bulb...
Honestly that's the true determining factor on whether I'd do this mod or not

It depends on.. the side! Really, I'm not joking: on my 2.0 Turbo the passenger's side bulb is very easy to access, but the driver's one is covered by the air intake. Nothing impossible, of course.. but popping up your hood will not let you see both of the bulbs straight in front of you! :)

See you!!,
Eos

RideZX6R 04-11-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eos (Post 9663839)
Hi RideZX6R!,

It depends on.. the side! Really, I'm not joking: on my 2.0 Turbo the passenger's side bulb is very easy to access, but the driver's one is covered by the air intake. Nothing impossible, of course.. but popping up your hood will not let you see both of the bulbs straight in front of you! :)

See you!!,
Eos

Intake is the same on the SS, however I pulled it for the ROTOFAB install so it'd be easy to do again.

Is it pretty simple once the intake is out of the way?

Eos 04-11-2017 08:31 AM

Hi RideZX6R!,
I've never done it to my car on the driver's side.. as I will work on it just if I will find a proper 7440 bulb that will not need any resistor (or has it bult-in). I still haven't found one yet..

See you!!,
Eos

Diode Dynamics 04-11-2017 08:41 AM

There are no quality LED replacements with resistors built-in. Resistors, by their very nature, create a significant amount of heat when generating electrical resistance.

Heat is the biggest enemy of LEDs, and will cause them to fail prematurely.

If you had a big enough resistor integrated onto the base of the bulb itself, you would have the heat source close enough to the LED to cause premature failure.

Often times, you'll see manufacturers claim "no error" or "canbus-fix" etc etc to convince customers otherwise.

Nick C.

cellsafemode 04-11-2017 04:41 PM

the only way to use led blinkers without hyperflash is by re-programming/hardware hacking the BCM that triggers it. I tried various "learning" procedures for other GM vehicles that i could find available but none worked on the 2016 camaro.

Otherwise you need the resistors and it's far better to have them installed away from the LED lights for reasons stated above.

Eos 04-12-2017 05:11 PM

Thank you all for your contributions. I'm still trying to get a solution in order to have the LED front (and rear, on European specification cars) turn bulbs.

I have strong technical limits, but I have found this VERY interesting thread on a Honda forum regarding the same problem: the owner didn't want to use a resistor and got the solution!

The thread:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...up-coffee.html

What he did is to make some modifications to the internal resistor circuit of the blinker relay! Using the correct load combination, he got the blinker accept all of the LED bulbs.

I wonder if Diode Dynamics or some skilled guys here on the forum would dare doing something like that: does the 2016/2017 Camaro have a similar flash relay to be properly modified? I've checked the fuse box schemes but it's not stating the relay functions anywhere (they're listed as "K" instead of fuses, listed as "F").

This would eliminate the resistors and their heating & energy spoiling features, too.

What do you think guys?

See you!!,
Eos

ccie6746 05-04-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eos (Post 9669653)
Thank you all for your contributions. I'm still trying to get a solution in order to have the LED front (and rear, on European specification cars) turn bulbs.

I have strong technical limits, but I have found this VERY interesting thread on a Honda forum regarding the same problem: the owner didn't want to use a resistor and got the solution!

The thread:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...up-coffee.html

What he did is to make some modifications to the internal resistor circuit of the blinker relay! Using the correct load combination, he got the blinker accept all of the LED bulbs.

I wonder if Diode Dynamics or some skilled guys here on the forum would dare doing something like that: does the 2016/2017 Camaro have a similar flash relay to be properly modified? I've checked the fuse box schemes but it's not stating the relay functions anywhere (they're listed as "K" instead of fuses, listed as "F").

This would eliminate the resistors and their heating & energy spoiling features, too.

What do you think guys?

See you!!,
Eos

Nope, The 6th gen Camaro's no longer have a flash relay as I just went thru all this with the dealership. The ECM controls this function now. For older cars you can buy LED flasher relays now.

Eos 05-05-2017 08:17 AM

Hi ccie6746!,
I'm sure there's a way out. I guess that the GM software stations can change the configuration of some hardware parameters, as in Volkswagen and Audi cars..

Does someone know if there's a GM-compatible software and which OBD II port harness we could use?

See you!!,
Eos