CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   Magnaflow resonated x-pipe (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575872)

HCI2000SS 05-22-2020 05:28 PM

Magnaflow resonated x-pipe

I recently installed the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back on my 2018 V6. There is no drone or rasp, and I like the tone. Only thing I wish is that it was a tad louder. Would the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe make the car louder or quieter? I've been doing some research, and it seems to smooth out some rasp and whatnot, but I can't really find info stating if it's louder or quieter than the stock resonator on a 6th gen V6. If I did this I'm looking at replacing the resonator only...not the secondary cats or anything else.

SoarinSnek 05-22-2020 06:54 PM

On my car that was straight pipe it was louder but still the same amount of drone from a straight pipe system. High RPMs you will hear raspy noises.

HCI2000SS 05-22-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoarinSnek (Post 10795777)
On my car that was straight pipe it was louder but still the same amount of drone from a straight pipe system. High RPMs you will hear raspy noises.

Are you saying you had a muffler delete (aka: straight pipes) and with the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe it was louder than than with the stock resonator?

SoarinSnek 05-22-2020 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10795795)
Are you saying you had a muffler delete (aka: straight pipes) and with the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe it was louder than than with the stock resonator?

Yeah (I plan on getting an MBRP exhaust in the future) the cold start was slightly louder but the high RPMs gave it those raspy exhaust sounds and they sound beautiful <3

HCI2000SS 05-22-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoarinSnek (Post 10795938)
Yeah (I plan on getting an MBRP exhaust in the future) the cold start was slightly louder but the high RPMs gave it those raspy exhaust sounds and they sound beautiful <3

Very interesting! From everything I'm reading it's saying the x-pipe made the car a little smoother and deeper sounding, and maybe just a tad quieter overall. But this info is on the 5th gen V6 Camaro. Can't find much on the 6th gen V6.

Apparently my Flowmaster axle back has the built in Helmholtz design similar to the MBRP, but it's all enclosed the resonated box. If you run the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe with the MBRP I'll be very curious how it sounds, since it should sound similar with my Flowmaster

dgriff14 05-24-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10795944)
Very interesting! From everything I'm reading it's saying the x-pipe made the car a little smoother and deeper sounding, and maybe just a tad quieter overall. But this info is on the 5th gen V6 Camaro. Can't find much on the 6th gen V6.

Apparently my Flowmaster axle back has the built in Helmholtz design similar to the MBRP, but it's all enclosed the resonated box. If you run the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe with the MBRP I'll be very curious how it sounds, since it should sound similar with my Flowmaster

I had that MF Res XPipe. Made my car noticeably quieter. Seemed to take a looot of higher end tone away, I think that’s why it “sounds deeper”. Anyway, I pretty soon after just went with the MBRP SS catback and tossed out the X Pipe

HCI2000SS 05-24-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgriff14 (Post 10796956)
I had that MF Res XPipe. Made my car noticeably quieter. Seemed to take a looot of higher end tone away, I think that’s why it “sounds deeper”. Anyway, I pretty soon after just went with the MBRP SS catback and tossed out the X Pipe

So when you did the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe that's all you changed at that time that you're describing? No secondary cats or anything else at all?

Spudsmaro 05-28-2020 09:31 PM

If you want LOUD get American Racing Headers Down Pipes. they come catless or with cats.....im catless with x pipe following up then straight piped to an MBRP Quad Tip Axel Back Exhaust. @_.spud.__

PS: NOT PROMOTING MY PAGE JUST IF YOU WANA HEAR MY EXHAUST NOTE I HAVE COLD STARTS BURNOUTS DONUTS AND RACING ON THERE. CAR IS FULL BOLT ON WITH TUNE.

HCI2000SS 05-28-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spudsmaro (Post 10799784)
If you want LOUD get American Racing Headers Down Pipes. they come catless or with cats.....im catless with x pipe following up then straight piped to an MBRP Quad Tip Axel Back Exhaust. @_.spud.__

PS: NOT PROMOTING MY PAGE JUST IF YOU WANA HEAR MY EXHAUST NOTE I HAVE COLD STARTS BURNOUTS DONUTS AND RACING ON THERE. CAR IS FULL BOLT ON WITH TUNE.

Thank you for the response, but I'm just looking at something cheap and easy that doesn't mess with the primary or secondary cats. This is my daily driver, and if the resonated x-pipe offered a little more sound over the factory unit, then it would be worth it to me. My car is still under warranty, so messing with the cats is a no go for me. Plus I just want a little more sound. Nothing crazy

dgriff14 05-30-2020 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10796972)
So when you did the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe that's all you changed at that time that you're describing? No secondary cats or anything else at all?

So in order it goes:

-Stock exhaust (embarrassingly quiet)
-Borla Atak axle back (noticeably louder and deeper. Turned out not to be enough)
-Secondary Cat delete (more noticeable loudness on WOT or heavier throttle. Added more rasp that I’m not a huuuuge fan of but it wasn’t a deal breaker)
-Supercharger (not exhaust, I know, but it added a good bit of sound when I get on it)
-MF X Pipe (took away most, if not all, rasp. Took away higher pitched sounds and I think that’s where the “sounds deeper” comments come from. But it didn’t increase depth in my opinion. I guess addition by subtraction. Regardless, it made the whole system quieter which was no bueno)
-MBRP SS cat back race exhaust (louder than ****. The quad tips look dope. Sounds extra crazy with the supercharger)

HCI2000SS 05-30-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgriff14 (Post 10800603)
So in order it goes:

-Stock exhaust (embarrassingly quiet)
-Borla Atak axle back (noticeably louder and deeper. Turned out not to be enough)
-Secondary Cat delete (more noticeable loudness on WOT or heavier throttle. Added more rasp that I’m not a huuuuge fan of but it wasn’t a deal breaker)
-Supercharger (not exhaust, I know, but it added a good bit of sound when I get on it)
-MF X Pipe (took away most, if not all, rasp. Took away higher pitched sounds and I think that’s where the “sounds deeper” comments come from. But it didn’t increase depth in my opinion. I guess addition by subtraction. Regardless, it made the whole system quieter which was no bueno)
-MBRP SS cat back race exhaust (louder than ****. The quad tips look dope. Sounds extra crazy with the supercharger)

Gotcha. So I guess the take away here is that the resonated x-pipe (regardless of the setup) makes the sound a little smoother and less raspy and/or hight pitched. Giving it a somewhat quieter and slightly deeper sound. That's probably not for me then, considering my Flowmaster axle back already has a deeper type sound, but just needs a tad more volumn IMO. Adding the x-pipe might actually make it sound a little to deep, and then also being a tad quieter, it might sound a little odd for a V6 with just an axle back I'm thinking.

Thanks for all the info. It's been a big help

Spudsmaro 06-02-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10799813)
Thank you for the response, but I'm just looking at something cheap and easy that doesn't mess with the primary or secondary cats. This is my daily driver, and if the resonated x-pipe offered a little more sound over the factory unit, then it would be worth it to me. My car is still under warranty, so messing with the cats is a no go for me. Plus I just want a little more sound. Nothing crazy

they offer version with cats plus being completely honest dealers usually never care about modifications unless they are like complete dweebs and also for the modification to void the warranty it has to be the cause of the malfunction/defect.