CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   A10 3 to 4 shift struggling (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561565)

angryBits 09-04-2019 08:31 PM

A10 3 to 4 shift struggling

I have a 2019 ZL1 1LE A10, I often drive in manual mode (probably 3/4 the time) and I've noticed the car is beginning to strain when shifting from 3rd to 4th under all load conditions, especially noticeable when not driving hard. It happens every time but only 3 to 4.

By strain I mean, it takes longer and a slight whine builds up just before the shift.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

**Update** 10/17/2019

ScottMZ3 09-04-2019 09:04 PM

I’ve had issues going from 4th to 3rd in manual mode. I’d say about 30% of the time the car doesn’t rev match for some reason and causes a very violent jerk. Every other gear works great. No issues upshifting in any gear.

URBAN LEGEND 09-04-2019 09:47 PM

I noticed if you give it more gas on the upshift around it will responds quicker. Not PSA roll quicker but quicker.

angryBits 09-04-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 (Post 10613177)
I’ve had issues going from 4th to 3rd in manual mode. I’d say about 30% of the time the car doesn’t rev match for some reason and causes a very violent jerk. Every other gear works great. No issues upshifting in any gear.

I only notice this if I'm on the brakes while coming to a stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND (Post 10613193)
I noticed if you give it more gas on the upshift around it will responds quicker. Not PSA roll quicker but quicker.

This is one of the tricks I've learned to get better responsiveness out of the A10. I find even a slight acceleration greatly improves upshifts and maybe downshifts too but that could be my imagination.

Unfortunately my "straining" is unaffected by this trick.

I'll try to get a PDR video, hopefully the recorder will pick up the sound.

TRZ06 09-04-2019 10:09 PM

This is why I will never own an auto in a performance car unless it is a dual clutch.

Slush boxes have come a long way, but you still already hear about weird behavior with them and they are never as crisp/snappy as a dual clutch, especially on the down shift and lag time of the paddles.

collinms 09-04-2019 10:40 PM

I've never had lag or slow shifts on upshifts. Works great for me and I find the shifting to be very fast. I always drive in manual mode. Yes, there is an occasional jerk on the 4 to 3 shift but this can be eliminated by either keeping the revs high or low. The stutter usually only occurs in the middle rpm range.

nicktechla 09-04-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZ06 (Post 10613210)
This is why I will never own an auto in a performance car unless it is a dual clutch.

Slush boxes have come a long way, but you still already hear about weird behavior with them and they are never as crisp/snappy as a dual clutch, especially on the down shift and lag time of the paddles.

totally. The automatic is near perfect, but it just doesn't have that same direct change like a DCT.

and no, i haven't had that issue, but i very rarely use the paddles.

TRZ06 09-04-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collinms (Post 10613238)
I've never had lag or slow shifts on upshifts. Works great for me and I find the shifting to be very fast. I always drive in manual mode. Yes, there is an occasional jerk on the 4 to 3 shift but this can be eliminated by either keeping the revs high or low. The stutter usually only occurs in the middle rpm range.

I said DOWNSHIFTS.

I agree upshifts are just as quick as a DCT, but not downshifts and the latency issue is not there in a DCT since the gear is already selected and it just needs to engage the other COG.

URBAN LEGEND 09-05-2019 07:57 AM

I’m talking bsing around town. Not WOT highway roll runs. PSA ain’t no joke.

Baldilocks01SS 09-05-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZ06 (Post 10613210)

I own two cars with a DCT and trust me, they don't always shift smoothly. Often times they even hang at a red light and take a second or two to engage. Sure, they shift quick, but they aren't as robust as the single clutch auto.

gotswap 09-05-2019 09:39 AM

No issues from me, sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order

Artos 09-05-2019 12:28 PM

The 3-4 & 4-3 has been a repeated topic here ever since the 17's came out...mine has settled down compared to when I first got it, but still shows itself from time to time. More noticeable when the trans isn't up to operating temps.

It isn't bad & you do sorta learn throttle control to minimize...seems to act a little different in the varying driving modes.

Gunkk 09-05-2019 03:57 PM

At least it's not as bad as the manual rev match bug that tries to kill people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artos (Post 10613641)
The 3-4 & 4-3 has been a repeated topic here ever since the 17's came out...mine has settled down compared to when I first got it, but still shows itself from time to time. More noticeable when the trans isn't up to operating temps.

It isn't bad & you do sorta learn throttle control to minimize...seems to act a little different in the varying driving modes.

+1 this.

The Trans shifts a bit too quick during some 4-3 shifts, before the revs have risen to the correct/matched RPM. Then it keeps revving to the match, bucking the car. Kinda like when you first learned to drive a manual and bucked the car, only 10x faster and not as visibly embarrassing :biggrin:

I can make mine do the rough 4-3 at part throttle & low-to-mid on the tach.

nicktechla 09-05-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunkk (Post 10613813)
+1 this.

The Trans shifts a bit too quick during some 4-3 shifts, before the revs have risen to the correct/matched RPM. Then it keeps revving to the match, bucking the car. Kinda like when you first learned to drive a manual and bucked the car, only 10x faster and not as visibly embarrassing :biggrin:

I can make mine do the rough 4-3 at part throttle & low-to-mid on the tach.

yeah, when I'm on the race track it downshifts and I bang my head on the headrest. :bonk: