CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Single turbo - Going to GPI for drop-ins + ?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586245)

GN_Drake 12-25-2020 01:24 PM

Single turbo - Going to GPI for drop-ins + ??

5 Attachment(s)
Only post a few times, but figured ide pipe up for advice prior to dropping the car off next month to GPI. 2016 SS with custom single turbo and baby 3" DP (I'm aware it'll be a restriction)

Long story short, had a very bad experience with a local shop who I dropped car off to only do hpfp, lt4 injectors, and base E85 tune. Car now needs refreshed with only 4k miles due to overboosting after they botched the WG.

So, quick breakdown of what I ordered:

- Aux low side (already have full lt4 low/high plus JMS)
- SS2 turbo cam plus CHE and all DOD items
- Ported stock heads with valve upgrades to Manley
- Head studs
- Mains upgraded
- Circle D 32-3400 258mm stall
- Drop in rods/piston combo (lower CR)
- Snow stage 2.5
- AEM EBC

That's the just of the main parts. What am I missing? Anything else I should do while it's all out? Debating options on DP, how it's routed doesn't leave ANY room for larger downpipe after bend, but might be able to get 4" to the first 90* and then drop to 3".

No real goal, primary objective is to do what's necessary to hold power around 800whp. If fuel can't keep up without being reliant on meth, I'll be fine around 700whp until more options are on market for high side.

MERRY XMAS YALL

Herold Motorsports 12-26-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GN_Drake (Post 10925085)
Only post a few times, but figured ide pipe up for advice prior to dropping the car off next month to GPI. 2016 SS with custom single turbo and baby 3" DP (I'm aware it'll be a restriction)

Long story short, had a very bad experience with a local shop who I dropped car off to only do hpfp, lt4 injectors, and base E85 tune. Car now needs refreshed with only 4k miles due to overboosting after they botched the WG.

So, quick breakdown of what I ordered:

- Aux low side (already have full lt4 low/high plus JMS)
- SS2 turbo cam plus CHE and all DOD items
- Ported stockers with valve upgrades to Manley
- Head studs
- Mains upgraded
- Circle D 32-3200 258mm stall
- Drop in rods/piston combo (lower CR)
- Snow stage 2.5
- AEM EBC

That's the just of the main parts. What am I missing? Anything else I should do while it's all out? Debating options on DP, how it's routed doesn't leave ANY room for larger downpipe after bend, but might be able to get 4" to the first 90* and then drop to 3".

No real goal, primary objective is to do what's necessary to hold power around 800whp. If fuel can't keep up without being reliant on meth, I'll be fine around 700whp until more options are on market for high side.

MERRY XMAS YALL

What kit is this? And why is there a wastegate flange on the downpipe/exhaust as well as only 1 bank on the crossover?

laynlo15 12-27-2020 07:06 AM

Cool build

parish8 12-27-2020 07:21 AM

:coolpics:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer@DarkNight (Post 10925743)
What kit is this? And why is there a wastegate flange on the downpipe/exhaust as well as only 1 bank on the crossover?

The flange on the down pipe is to tie the wg back in for quiet exhaust. Some people just dump the wg and some tie it back it.

The wg is mounted to the cross over. When it open it reduces the volume of exhaust gas to the turbo. It seems like a less than ideal location but I have had kits with it in this location and it worked fine there.

GN_Drake 12-27-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parish8 (Post 10925791)
:coolpics:

The flange on the down pipe is to tie the wg back in for quiet exhaust. Some people just dump the wg and some tie it back it.

The wg is mounted to the cross over. When it open it reduces the volume of exhaust gas to the turbo. It seems like a less than ideal location but I have had kits with it in this location and it worked fine there.

What Parish said.

Kit was made by Triangle Speed before I purchased the car. WG picture doesn't show exactly how it's tied in, but I agree with what Parish said. They actually had the WG in 3 locations when building the kit, this one controlled the boost best. Dumping to atmosphere for now, not worried about noise at WOT.

Choda 12-29-2020 08:53 AM

thats a great looking kit. If you are looking to burn money, add a electric cutout to the list and put it in the DP right under the starter. You have a great list of parts already. What turbo is that? The 3inch dp will still allow you to make great power.

wolfdog 12-29-2020 12:22 PM

I am currently doing my homework to build a gen6 single turbo so thanks for the thread.

What manifolds?
What AR/trim turbo?
Did you do a baro break out on this build?
I'm curious about the tuning.

Sorry for all the questions lol.

parish8 12-29-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfdog (Post 10927175)
I am currently doing my homework to build a gen6 single turbo so thanks for the thread.

What manifolds?
What AR/trim turbo?

The turbo doesn’t care. That is the thing about turbos. Wrong cam, wrong turbo, wrong this and that and it still works well.

The limiting factor on this set up will be the turbo itself.

GN_Drake 12-29-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfdog (Post 10927175)

What manifolds?
What AR/trim turbo?

Choda, I agree with cutout. Been debating options to keep the 3" from limiting the setup, but nothing is as easy as a cutout.

Stock passenger manifold crossovers to fabbed drivers manifold.
Yes it has baro and IAT breakout.
Precision 7675 CEA T4 stainless .96 is current turbo. Haven't decided if I want to swap to something different yet, open to suggestions.

Choda 12-30-2020 08:47 AM

Thats a nice sized turbo for good power and instant spool. Where are you getting your oil feed from? and where are you returning it?

parish8 12-30-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choda (Post 10927644)
Thats a nice sized turbo for good power and instant spool. Where are you getting your oil feed from? and where are you returning it?

I think 90% of people use too small of a turbo. This seems pretty small to me. 6.2, cam, ported heads... this thing is going to flow some air. Combine that with drop in’s lt4 stuff and meth and the strength and fuel will be there to make a lot of power if wanted. My guess is it will run out around 800-900hp. I hope he pushes it so I can see if I am wrong. Of course 900hp is plenty for most people and it should spool crazy fast.

KingLT1 12-30-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parish8 (Post 10927705)
I think 90% of people use too small of a turbo. This seems pretty small to me. 6.2, cam, ported heads... this thing is going to flow some air. Combine that with drop in’s lt4 stuff and meth and the strength and fuel will be there to make a lot of power if wanted. My guess is it will run out around 800-900hp. I hope he pushes it so I can see if I am wrong. Of course 900hp is plenty for most people and it should spool crazy fast.

I agree on turbo sizing but the Turbo kit was on the car when he bought it. I believe it was a prototype that the shop had plans on producing but the project was scrapped.

Umbriel 12-30-2020 10:33 AM

I had that exact turbo on a 383 LS motor and it maxed out in the mid 700s if I remember correctly. Swapped over to a Borg S480 with a 1.25 housing and was able to make over 1000 with it on a 408, 383 started knocking right after the swap.

GN_Drake 12-30-2020 10:57 AM

King is accurate. Turbo setup was built by shop with intent to market for bolt on kit, not full tilt build. I feel the turbo was sized accurately for the intention at the time.

Open to turbo suggestions, as I could keep this for my GN project that will happen next year. Car goes to GPI on the 22nd, so I'm trying to have everything lined up.