CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Gone in 200 miles (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583672)

Pappy2020 10-26-2020 12:07 PM

Gone in 200 miles

I ordered a 2021 lt1 and after 220 miles the valve spring broke and the valve dropped and hit the piston.I was not hot rodding the car at all.So I had the car towed back to the dealer.I called the dealer to get an up date on the car and the service rep.said that they are waiting on Chevrolet to decide if they were going to fix the motor or replace it.So I told them I do not want a rebuilt motor,I want to replace the motor (it only had 220 miles on it)So far I drove the car for a little over a week and they have had the car a little over 2 weeks.I’m trying to be calm.They did give me a nice new Silverado pick up as a loaner.I’m happy about that part.

cmking26 10-26-2020 12:09 PM

Thats rough, but if they replace the motor then you should be okay. I would want an entire shortblock too.

KirkH 10-26-2020 12:10 PM

Stay calm and be nice. I had to wait several months for my motor replacement. In the end I got additional warranty. They can and should pay your car payments while you wait.

Let me stress this: GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!

You can read my thread in the Issues sub forum if interested.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560229

EDIT: Did I mention get EVERYTHING in writing?

ChevyRules 10-26-2020 12:19 PM

Looks like your engine may have been built during the period this issue occurred over.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/c...ed-149191.html

gtfoxy 10-26-2020 12:30 PM

You’d figure they would just send out a recall on effected build dates & eat it up front rather than replacing an entire engine, rental fees, paying payments, etc & having pissed off customers.

Tim M 10-26-2020 12:43 PM

Research the lemon law in your state...30 days out of service is one element of an option of a new car...

Thill444 10-26-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy2020 (Post 10891980)
I ordered a 2021 lt1 and after 220 miles the valve spring broke and the valve dropped and hit the piston.I was not hot rodding the car at all.So I had the car towed back to the dealer.I called the dealer to get an up date on the car and the service rep.said that they are waiting on Chevrolet to decide if they were going to fix the motor or replace it.So I told them I do not want a rebuilt motor,I want to replace the motor (it only had 220 miles on it)So far I drove the car for a little over a week and they have had the car a little over 2 weeks.I’m trying to be calm.They did give me a nice new Silverado pick up as a loaner.I’m happy about that part.

Very sorry to hear this. My Camaro is also affected by the valve spring issue and, while the C8 has had a tone of valve spring failures, you are the first Camaro I have read about that had a major issue.

I agree with you, fight for a new motor.

Thill444 10-26-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoxy (Post 10892003)
You’d figure they would just send out a recall on effected build dates & eat it up front rather than replacing an entire engine, rental fees, paying payments, etc & having pissed off customers.

I am sure someone somewhere did the math. This affected all 6.2L V8's so we are talking C8's, Camaro's, trucks, etc. So we are talking a lot of vehicles.

The only good news seems to be most failures happen below 500 or so miles, so you should know soon if you got a bad valve spring.

GM has a history of hedging their bets, it will just suck if this happens to someone and the result is an accident or some other dangerous situation.

RyanR623 10-26-2020 01:21 PM

I feel your pain. My number 6 bearing grenaded and trashed the engine so bad it was unrepairable at 18.5k miles. I was mad at first but since it was a brand new crate engine, my engine warranty is now up in 2025. Push for a brand new engine. Fun fact i looked up the engine part number on my service receipt and the LT1's are $10,995 bucks.

JasonGofast 10-26-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim M (Post 10892011)
Research the lemon law in your state...30 days out of service is one element of an option of a new car...

This here. I'd be pissed if I bought a new car that had to be in the shop for over a month. It wouldn't even feel new when I got it back.

SirJangle 10-26-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoxy (Post 10892003)

This is what they SHOULD do... period.

SirJangle 10-26-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thill444 (Post 10892016)
I am sure someone somewhere did the math. This affected all 6.2L V8's so we are talking C8's, Camaro's, trucks, etc. So we are talking a lot of vehicles.

The only good news seems to be most failures happen below 500 or so miles, so you should know soon if you got a bad valve spring.

GM has a history of hedging their bets, it will just suck if this happens to someone and the result is an accident or some other dangerous situation.

I really don't care what the math is. The bottom line is that they KNOW it's an issue and should take care of it BEFORE it happens. I don't give a damn about their math or how many vehicles it may impact. I'd be severely pissed if I paid for a brand new vehicle and had this issue knowing that they knew about it and rolled the dice with MY money. And, I don't want to hear that's what the warranty is for. The warranty is for unforeseen issues and/or imperfections that happen with a mass-produced vehicle. This is something they KNOW about and they should be proactive instead of reactive. I'm tired of this BS that a multi-billion dollar corporation's money is more important than mine.

There is no good news here. And, GM's history of hedging their bets is why a lot of consumers have lost faith in the brand.

Peace & Progress

KirkH 10-26-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirJangle (Post 10892063)
I really don't care what the math is. The bottom line is that they KNOW it's an issue and should take care of it BEFORE it happens. I don't give a damn about their math or how many vehicles it may impact. I'd be severely pissed if I paid for a brand new vehicle and had this issue knowing that they knew about it and rolled the dice with MY money. And, I don't want to hear that's what the warranty is for. The warranty is for unforeseen issues and/or imperfections that happen with a mass-produced vehicle. This is something they KNOW about and they should be proactive instead of reactive. I'm tired of this BS that a multi-billion dollar corporation's money is more important than mine.

There is no good news here. And, GM's history of hedging their bets is why a lot of consumers have lost faith in the brand.

Peace & Progress

When I went through this, I discovered that more expensive brands like Cadillac and BMW take care of their customers better. It's like, "Oh its just a Chevy" to them.

FH212 10-26-2020 03:20 PM

This is interesting that yours is a 2021. I had heard I think it was on LethalGarage YouTube and I also read it somewhere that this was only affecting 2020’s. I am curious if this is affecting 2021s like mine also.