CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Questions about cabin air filter (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574972)

Haoie 05-08-2020 02:07 AM

Questions about cabin air filter

I came into the dealer for the A8 shudder as well as maintenance at 25,991 miles. I was told to change the cabin air filter was going to be $75.99 but decided to skip that and do it myself. Does it matter what brand cabin air filter to get? Any recommendations? How difficult is the task for changing the filter for the 6th gen

cdrptrks 05-08-2020 04:28 AM

It is a pain compared to other cars I have done. You have to physically forcefully bend the plastic sides to clear the stop pegs since they are not removable unlike pegs I have encountered on other cars. A crowbar or pipe will help with the prying. There's a diy guide thread here somewhere that I used.

I was happy with the ACDelco charcoal cabin air filter I bought locally from Advanced Auto Parts. I think it is a Cadillac part number that I found on these forums.

EDIT: ACDelco CF1184C (GM part # 19338054).

mrgoodbytes 05-08-2020 04:35 AM

I'd say it sounds a little steep. You can get an OEM cabin air filter for $16 on newgmparts.com. https://www.newgmparts.com/oem-parts...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

The dealer probably take list price ~$27 for the filter and the rest is for the work.

The cabin air filter sits behind the glove box. I haven't changed it myself, but there are several videos on youtube on how to do it. My take on those would be to use a thin wooden block as a pry tool, instead of a metal tool to not scratch the plastics. I'd say it is definitely doable as a DIY job.

I have dealer/shop phobia, so I'd definitely do it myself.

mrgoodbytes 05-08-2020 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrptrks (Post 10785142)
It is a pain compared to other cars I have done.

From the youtube videos I've seen, this is my conclusion as well. Especially compared to my Lexus and Toyota, those are very easy to do.

I wouldn't personally want to have the dealer do it for me though.

z28pat 05-08-2020 07:53 AM

only takes a few minutes, . It’s considerably more force than you would expect to get the glove box down but once you get it , the air filter is easy to replace.

JT58 05-08-2020 09:29 AM

Do it yourself, it's easy. I got mine at O'Reily's for about $25.00, took only 5 minutes. You will need a large screw driver to use to pry the glovebox on the side so that the pegs can clear and it can open all the way. There are write ups on how to do it.

UnknownJinX 05-08-2020 10:05 AM

Personally I would do it myself, I plan to actually do it after I take delivery.

Why? You can get a nicer one that filter out more stuff with activated charcoal, like the FRAM Fresh Breeze.

Seems like the general steps are similar to most other cars, just a little more difficult. It's not worth pay $150 for, though.

Azerlazer26 05-08-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrptrks (Post 10785142)
It is a pain compared to other cars I have done. You have to physically forcefully bend the plastic sides to clear the stop pegs since they are not removable unlike pegs I have encountered on other cars. A crowbar or pipe will help with the prying. There's a diy guide thread here somewhere that I used.

Agreed! I truly mean this when I say installing my GM CAI was easier than changing the cabin filter. Just get ready to throw a couple cuss words out while trying to get the glovebox open.

nelsont 05-08-2020 11:29 AM

Just did mine, watch the videosand take your time. Its not that bad.

Tim

SixgenSix 05-08-2020 11:44 AM

Long screw driver wrapped in a microfiber towel so you don't accidentally gouge or scratch anything. Plenty of good Youtube videos on it to refer to.

foshjowler 05-08-2020 11:55 AM

I did mine a few weeks ago, think I paid $15-20 for a whatever they had in stock at the auto parts store. There are a couple of good youtube videos that show you how to do it. It does take quite a bit of force to get the glovebox off, other than that it's nothing complicated.

MackSteelPrivateEye 05-08-2020 12:38 PM

Over 3 years and 35k miles, I declined my filter change at the dealer. :mad0259:How exactly would I benefit from a filter change? Will it make my car smell like roses and honeysuckles on a warm summers eve with a cool breeze blowing as I walk the shores of a glistening lake?:cool:

enzia35 05-08-2020 12:42 PM

Ouch, I changed mine at 2 years and 20k miles and it was filthy. Chances are you'll get a lot of air flow back that you didn't know was missing.

Tazcatxena1! 05-08-2020 02:18 PM

cabin air filter

:faint:I did mine and I did cuss.The damper cable slipped off my hook and still haven't found it.