CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   2018 Red Calipers (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522955)

Jimabe 03-11-2018 03:32 PM

2018 Red Calipers

Just picked my Red '18 ZL1. 😎
I have a thing for RED brake calipers. From the looking I've done, the 1LE's are the only ones that have red calipers. I don't want the have my grey ones powder coated so thinking my only option is to buy new red 1LE's or find someone who wants to trade. Probably real low odds on the trade thing, so are the new 1LE calipers the same as reg ZL1?

Guessing I'll change my mind when I see the price of new one's!😳

drfeelgood 03-11-2018 03:39 PM

You will DEFINTELY change your mind. They are not cheap at all. But yes, they are the same! I don’t know if the SS brakes are the same as ours, I think (don’t quote me) the SS has an option for them in red also.

speedraider 03-11-2018 05:06 PM

remove your calipers send them to a good powder coater, I had mine done on my z06 for $375. Had them back in a week. PLus, why would you want something that says 1LE when your car isn't that

FringBirdAloha 03-13-2018 10:27 AM

Powder coating is the way to go. And no the SS calipers, even the larger 6 pistons they offer are smaller than our ZL1’s.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 03-13-2018 10:59 AM

I too would like to know this as I think almost any color would stand out and look better than Silver. But if you have them powder coated, how do you get the "ZL1" and "Brembo" back onto them?

kwav8r 03-13-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10106861)
I too would like to know this as I think almost any color would stand out and look better than Silver. But if you have them powder coated, how do you get the "ZL1" and "Brembo" back onto them?

You can buy the stickers and have them put on. I contacted a shop about this and they stated they would do it in the process.

For the life of me I don't understand why GM/Chevy went with silver on these calipers, other than to throw the 1LE guys an extra bone.

I have a SIM and think red calipers would really set the car apart.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 03-13-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwav8r (Post 10106946)
You can buy the stickers and have them put on. I contacted a shop about this and they stated they would do it in the process.

For the life of me I don't understand why GM/Chevy went with silver on these calipers, other than to throw the 1LE guys an extra bone.

I have a SIM and think red calipers would really set the car apart.

I'll have to see if any shops around me will handle that. Do you think that a regular paint would hold up or is powder coating the only way? I can have my bodyshop paint them but if it won't hold up then it's pointless.

DangerZL1 03-13-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10106960)
I'll have to see if any shops around me will handle that. Do you think that a regular paint would hold up or is powder coating the only way? I can have my bodyshop paint them but if it won't hold up then it's pointless.

There are companies that make caliper paint kits that use a high temp paint. I doubt your bodyshop would be the best choice. To powder coat them, they need to be removed and disassembled, so your car would be down.

driven2exceSS 03-13-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedraider (Post 10104713)
remove your calipers send them to a good powder coater, I had mine done on my z06 for $375. Had them back in a week. PLus, why would you want something that says 1LE when your car isn't that

The Chevrolet Performance Big Brake upgrade is not labeled as 1LE specific. http://wildhammermotorsports.com/6-p...t-performance/

Can'tHave2MuchHP 03-13-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerZL1 (Post 10106971)
There are companies that make caliper paint kits that use a high temp paint. I doubt your bodyshop would be the best choice. To powder coat them, they need to be removed and disassembled, so your car would be down.

Yeah I'd take them all off and leave it on my lift, my shop sprays high temp paints as well as regular stuff and looking to outfit it with a powder coating setup just to offer the full range of customization for our performance and exotic car customers. I used to use a guy that was famous on the Corvette Forum called Mike the Powder Coater before but I think he's out of business now.

Sooner Cole 03-13-2018 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THP Coatings does beautiful work. Here is an example:

driven2exceSS 03-13-2018 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10106979)
Yeah I'd take them all off and leave it on my lift, my shop sprays high temp paints as well as regular stuff and looking to outfit it with a powder coating setup just to offer the full range of customization for our performance and exotic car customers. I used to use a guy that was famous on the Corvette Forum called Mike the Powder Coater before but I think he's out of business now.

I just used http://madisonpowdercoating.com.

DangerZL1 03-13-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10106979)

Sounds like you have it covered. :thumb: I'm pretty sure powder coating is the way to go, even if it's a little inconvenient to do.

driven2exceSS 03-13-2018 12:23 PM

Both those listed above are one in the same for the powder coating :thumbsup: