CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=254)
-   -   Max Spark Timing for LT4s on E85 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614429)

radz28 03-17-2023 08:30 AM

Max Spark Timing for LT4s on E85

Would anyone be willing to share what they've heard about what is considered safe MAX TIMING is for E85 (E70, or so, in my area, apparently)? I know there's a point timing doesn't add power, and that E85 won't necessarily knock, but the engine, essentially, can mechanically knock, and beat the bearings up bad.

I'm seeing and hearing about 25* is about as much as LT4s will handle. Does that sound right? Is that for E-content for as low as, like, E70? I don't have a cam, so does that 25* matter for me?

I'm just looking for a good number that will take advantage of everything I've invested into what I'm doing. I don't, really, have a practical way to test the effects of changing timing, so I'm just hoping I could get some feedback into what others have found, or heard, from reliable sources.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

toohighpsi 03-22-2023 12:41 AM

25 is a good number, pretty much the point where we start to see diminishing returns on an LT4, you'll still make slightly more power up to 28-29 degrees as long as there is no knock, but you'll have plenty of smiles at 25...

Run stock LT4 knock sensor values once you're on E (not the Magnuson values), just gives you some extra safety margin as you push the tune further on E.

KingLT1 03-23-2023 09:14 AM

Basically, what I said to Chuck in a PM. 24-25 degrees is as far as I take a streetcar. You are getting 98-99% of available engine power and it's safe. Sure, if you are at a grudge race for 50k and ok that there is a chance your engine will meet the Reaper, then send it with 27-28 degrees on full E. But I am not setting up street cars that way.

radz28 03-23-2023 12:10 PM

Thank you all for reaffirming, gentlemen. I don't trust anyone with my car, so getting to a dyno I trust is a little tough. Seeing a safe limit, for now, is what I was hoping for.

Thank you both for your continued help :)

6spdhyperblue 03-23-2023 05:48 PM

So I’ll reconfigure and run the humidity table similar to how gmpp has it setup.

I’ll run 25-26 in no humidity and 28-29 when it’s max humidity on a bolt on SS.

Seems to work well for me. What do you think about that

KingLT1 03-24-2023 04:13 PM

NA LT1 I would 28 degrees on E regardless of the humidity. That table is basically for pump gas due to the compression being high enough were 93 is still touchy due to the LT1's high compression. On E it won't matter.

Ethanol is like liquid intercooling in the cylinder. It drops cylinder temps hundreds of degrees during the combustion cycle. For that reason it actually likes a little heat. Also why gas stations drop the E content back in the winter.

radz28 03-27-2023 07:29 AM

Do you start bringing the timing up to 25* (LT4s) AFTER peak torque? That's been my understanding.

KingLT1 03-27-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 11298714)
Do you start bringing the timing up to 25* (LT4s) AFTER peak torque? That's been my understanding.

Depends on the setup. Bigger blower not spinning as hard, I bring it in early as possible. Stock blower being overspun I ramp it in. Small blower over spun hits harder, demands more fuel, harder on bottom end.

radz28 03-27-2023 09:23 AM

Something just occurred to me (forgive me)...

Would it be fair to say that I should be able to look back at my LOGS, running a 94-octane blend, and add a few degrees to that, in most places for E'? For example: if I see that the car was tolerating 20* of timing on 94-octane, it's probably safe to add a couple degrees in that same area on the FLEX SPARK table? I feel like the answer could be "YES"... I think I'm asking if I go back, and look at old 94-octane LOGS, and add a few degrees (to about 25* TOTAL SPARK at WOT, as I move into higher RPMs and higher across the AIRMASS scale), that's probably pretty reasonable/safe?

KingLT1 03-27-2023 09:47 AM

24-25 degrees on E50+ from 4k rpm on up should be perfectly fine on your setup.

radz28 03-27-2023 10:02 AM

OK. After taking more time to think about it, I wasn't too far off this time.

Thanks King.

KingLT1 03-27-2023 11:15 AM

:happy0180:

Megahurtz 03-27-2023 12:37 PM

On E60+ I usually run up to 28 degrees on the LT4's before any modifiers( Humidity and IAT's) and 29 on the LT1's before any modifiers. Even in full humidity, the modifier pulls half a degree. Then if things heat up the logic will pull more timing. I choose the set this up like OEM logic. I know some tuners remove most of the logic and lock in on a lower number timing number for consistency. I'm not saying I am right or they are wrong. I just do things a little differently. I have quite a few cars running around on the street with this setup with no issues.

I've seen one reputable shop run up to 32 degrees on the dyno on the LT4's with E62. However, I'm sure they back it down once it's off the dyno. I can't imagine that living very well on the street.

If the car is boosted to the moon I'll back that number down to 26-27 depending on the setup. Cammed cars are a little different as well. So my above numbers are stock heads and stock cammed cars. Timing is ramped up on the LT4 from a lower value to a peak value at redline. The LT1's are a little different. They like more timing pre peak torque, then less timing during peak torque then more timing after peak torque. I don't desensitize the knock sensors either.

radz28 03-27-2023 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megahurtz (Post 11298884)
On E60+ I usually run up to 28 degrees on the LT4's before any modifiers( Humidity and IAT's) and 29 on the LT1's before any modifiers. Even in full humidity, the modifier pulls half a degree. Then if things heat up the logic will pull more timing. I choose the set this up like OEM logic. I know some tuners remove most of the logic and lock in on a lower number timing number for consistency. I'm not saying I am right or they are wrong. I just do things a little differently. I have quite a few cars running around on the street with this setup with no issues.

I've seen one reputable shop run up to 32 degrees on the dyno on the LT4's with E62. However, I'm sure they back it down once it's off the dyno. I can't imagine that living very well on the street.

If the car is boosted to the moon I'll back that number down to 26-27 depending on the setup. Cammed cars are a little different as well. So my above numbers are stock heads and stock cammed cars. Timing is ramped up on the LT4 from a lower value to a peak value at redline. The LT1's are a little different. They like more timing pre peak torque, then less timing during peak torque then more timing after peak torque. I don't desensitize the knock sensors either.

Thank you for the additional comments!!! :happy0180: