Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 5GEN ... Power Shuts Down.... NO Warning??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468725)

GhostRider15 10-02-2016 08:07 PM

ZL1 5GEN ... Power Shuts Down.... NO Warning???

Anyone have this happen with thier ZL1. Mine is a 2015 with only 7400 miles. The stability control light starts flashing and car loses power and shuts down. Wait a few minutes then starts back up request you roll down and up both windows. Did it 4x yesterday 10/01/16 trying to get back home. First time after starting back up check engine light came on but didn't come back on after turning off normal and starting back up normal. Really no warning so glad I wasn't trying to make a turn across oncoming traffic..... maybe a ECM, Stability Tract component, or Throttle body failure?

SSmokinSS 10-02-2016 08:32 PM

any mods?

GhostRider15 10-02-2016 08:42 PM

Just a CAI Cold Air Intake system back in August 2016.

nighttowl 10-02-2016 09:56 PM

how is battery voltage?
could possibly be a bad ECM otherwise.

GhostRider15 10-02-2016 10:02 PM

voltage slightly over 12 once restarted and running "normal". I was wondering if it was the ECM too. Thanks for the feedback. Dealer can't get me in until Thursday at this point. Going to try to limp it up to Advanced Automotive to get a code reading but the check engine light isn't on anymore. I assume codes will have already been captured.

fluxzl1 10-02-2016 10:03 PM

bad ground??

GhostRider15 10-02-2016 10:50 PM

I hope to know more after I get the codes pulled tomorrow. I'll post them when I get them. Thanks.

Sven59 10-03-2016 12:47 AM

Most likely ECM. I had the same issues and they replaced it. Many others have had similar experience. A CAI could give you a check engine light if it requires a tune. But if it is a no tune not likely unless you combine it with headers and maybe a throttle body. Then it wants a tune.

KaBoom1701 10-03-2016 09:35 AM

Simple issue....bad ground from changing your CAI.

Bigger issue....bad ECU which the dealer will have to fix.

good luck.

GhostRider15 10-03-2016 08:39 PM

Well took it up to Auto Zone for the codes to be read and surprisingly no codes showed up. My service manager at the dealer said that it may be a bad battery cell due to shutting down and then the window's request reprograming each time. Auto Zone did a battery check and I think it was a circuit check but again everything came back good. I started to leave to drive straight to the dealer and what do you know the car just cut off but radio and mylink display stayed powered up. I had the wife run in and have the guy bring code reader back out without doing anything before plugging it in. Still no codes showed. Car would not turn over at all. We decided to check the fuses and found a blown fuse #22 a 20 amp fuse that dealt with the brakes. We replaced it started up. Took to dealership without shutting off in hopes they can find something or at least reflash the ECM to update it. Stumped.....

GhostRider15 10-03-2016 08:50 PM

I changed the OEM AI out back the first week in August 2016 about two weeks after I bought it. Would it show up this late after install. We got the Cold Air Inductions CAI that was very simple to install. Said it didn't need a tune but I do want to have one done. I bought a SCT X4 7416 model but when I went to install it said it was not supported on my 2015 ZL1. I thought I had researched it pretty well and the amazon compatibility system said it was good. After it said it wasn't supporting my car I did a search again and eBay's system said it was not compatible so go figure. Luckily they had me send it back so just waiting on a refund. Once I get this issue straight I plan to take it to the Maryland International Raceway and have them do a dyno pull and tune it. Hopefully that will work any bugs out.

KaBoom1701 10-04-2016 08:43 AM

Sounds like a bad ground to me.

Double check your CAI install.

JANNETTYRACING 10-04-2016 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostRider15 (Post 9340301)
Anyone have this happen with thier ZL1. Mine is a 2015 with only 7400 miles. The stability control light starts flashing and car loses power and shuts down. Wait a few minutes then starts back up request you roll down and up both windows. Did it 4x yesterday 10/01/16 trying to get back home. First time after starting back up check engine light came on but didn't come back on after turning off normal and starting back up normal. Really no warning so glad I wasn't trying to make a turn across oncoming traffic..... maybe a ECM, Stability Tract component, or Throttle body failure?

Loose battery cables and or connections, you will not find this through the OBD2 port you must start looking and tugging on the cables and grounds.

Ted.

Stephen12ZL1 10-04-2016 10:04 AM

check the firewall connection on the driver's side also. It is a big black plug that may be loose.