CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Microphone pick up problem.... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560818)

AcmeCamaro 08-22-2019 11:19 PM

Microphone pick up problem....

When I'm connected to my phone through the car and taking a call.... everyone i talk says I sound extremely muffled and very hard to hear. Every when I'm almost yelling.

Anyone else have this problem?? Or even know where the microphone is located?

LT4 08-23-2019 08:11 AM

the mic is the two little holes in your A-pillar, about eye level. I'm not sure this is the best place for it, Corvette has same spot. In some cars the mic is up near the visor.

red_johnny 08-23-2019 09:04 AM

Some have played around with the mic location and or angles to get less of a muffled sound. Might be some foam around it. I have not personally had this issue but others have. I would try a search to find better info. :thumb:

AcmeCamaro 08-23-2019 01:39 PM

Makes sense...... the problem arose when I put an aftermarket pillar gauge pod mount. Thanks guys.

I might play with the idea of moving it or using a different mic if i can solder it in

Need4Camaro 08-23-2019 01:51 PM

I really need assistance on this too. Where can I relocate my mic to get better call quality? Nobody can hear me when I'm driving.

LT4 08-23-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro (Post 10604181)
I really need assistance on this too. Where can I relocate my mic to get better call quality? Nobody can hear me when I'm driving.

Best place is right above your head (on the visor, or right behind it).

Also, if you keep your head pointed forward during the entire conversation, that would be the cheapest option :biggrin:

trohde78 08-23-2019 03:12 PM

The microphone is in a terrible location in these cars.

PnCRedJwl2SS 08-23-2019 03:34 PM

I'm guessing there is an issue with positioning of your mic behind the A-pillar or with the wiring.

My mic works just fine. Even with AC fan running. Hope you are still under warranty.

rshelar 08-23-2019 04:51 PM

Mine seems to work out fine.
Even with the top down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GroundhogSS 08-24-2019 07:14 PM

The mic is just stuck on with some tape and a little clip. If the installation of your gauges pulled on the wire, it could have easily moved the mic away from the openings in the A pillar. Pulling the A pillar cover out or off will often move the mic where it no longer works correctly. Check behind the trim piece.

zr1chris 08-25-2019 03:37 PM

Im having the same issue.

MANNAXMAN 08-26-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rshelar (Post 10604307)
Mine seems to work out fine.
Even with the top down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2

wintertopdown 08-27-2019 03:21 AM

I would assume it is a cardioid directional capaule otherwise it would pickup the entire car. Mine works OK but the siri voice recognization screws up. Perhaps I just talk funny. It will never sound quite like a headset with deep bass due to the proximity effect.

PnCRedJwl2SS 08-27-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wintertopdown (Post 10606593)
I would assume it is a cardioid directional capaule otherwise it would pickup the entire car. Mine works OK but the siri voice recognization screws up. Perhaps I just talk funny. It will never sound quite like a headset with deep bass due to the proximity effect.

I don’t think your Siri issue has anything to do with the mic. My work phone is an iPhone and the voice recognition is not great when using Car Play. But it’s excellent when using Android Auto (personal phone). Cant think of a time when it didn’t recognize my voice input accurately.

nicktechla 08-27-2019 02:21 PM

The mic absolutely sucks in this car.

NowaChevyGuy 08-28-2019 09:59 AM

I had this issue on my 16 RS day 1. Dealer said there was a tech update for it, they put a piece of foam behind it. Absolutely 0 help. Ironic thing is I run companies and had a loud exhaust on my 01 Mustang vert so when I got that Camaro I did a Borla S Type to limit the noise so I could talk on the phone, lol. I found a lot of the issue is the wind noise picked up off the windshield for where the mic is positioned. Believe it or not removing the 2 are dams underneath the front end in front of the tires reduced a ton of that type of wind noise and turbulence. It was to the point I couldn't roll down the windows above 60 or 70 miles an hour because it would just beat you in the face but removing those two strips of plastic reduced a lot of that as well. Still need to put a splitter on or something like that to see if that helps. I haven't tried moving the microphone as I semi retired and I haven't had the chance to talk on the phone much while driving it. It really surprised me that Chevrolet would release the car with this type of defect along with other little small things, major example would be the seat release on the top side by the headrest being pulled away from getting out of the car and putting your hand on the side of the seat instead of the pillar. With all of the testing that they do prior to releasing these cars it seems like petty small things to get through that really affect the overall impression of the car. The list can kind of go on and on. 0 flat spots on the dash that really limits where you can put a cell phone holder. The storage space right behind your seats, I believe they called them the rear seats but I never really found anyone short enough to sit in them to tell me if they were comfortable. For us v6 guys, a charcoal pad conveniently placed on the air intake box which would be considered a smog item eliminating all CAI options. Also in that v6 category a different e-brake setup than the SS eliminating the use of the rear brembo brakes off of the SS as a direct swap. Come on Chevy you're supposed to be performance friendly and it just seems like they threw some really big curveballs in there that weren't well-thought-out, or maybe they were and just all made to drive you into their aftermarket performance products. Either way I think the microphone placement was dumb and should have been fixed and initial design, just as the seat issue and a few others. Don't get me wrong I love the car it just seems that these little tiny things could have been handled right up front in the test drive portion prior to official release.

bandier 02-26-2024 11:54 AM

I'm experiencing the "I can't hear you well" phone call problem. I have the problem whether I'm driving or parked. Now that I've found this thread. Based on what I've read, I'll investigate and check my microphone location behind the A-pillars. My question is regarding the removal of the A-pillar. Do they just pull off or do I need to remove other trim pieces first?

speedyink1 02-26-2024 07:52 PM

I never would have guessed... No one has mentioned anything to me yet on my calls

arpad_m 02-26-2024 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bandier (Post 11407013)
I'm experiencing the "I can't hear you well" phone call problem. I have the problem whether I'm driving or parked. Now that I've found this thread. Based on what I've read, I'll investigate and check my microphone location behind the A-pillars. My question is regarding the removal of the A-pillar. Do they just pull off or do I need to remove other trim pieces first?

Yes, but you need to be careful with the airbag tethers and the microphone on the driver side, don't go crazy when you pull the trim panel. Here are the relevant pages from the service manual.

bandier 02-27-2024 12:39 PM

Thank you , thank you, thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 11407128)
Yes, but you need to be careful with the airbag tethers and the microphone on the driver side, don't go crazy when you pull the trim panel. Here are the relevant pages from the service manual.

bandier 03-06-2024 01:48 PM

Per the spec sheet I have the pillar clip released but I'm not sure how to release the tether 'doghouse' that it mentions, so I cannot free the pillar to get a better look.

Even with the pillar tether attached, I can see the microphones on both pillars. They look in place. Is there something I'm missing that would cause poor sound levels? I'd really like to have people hear me sufficiently during phone calls. Note: no one has complained of I wind noise so I dont think thats what it is and the problem is there when parked on a call too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 11407128)

bandier 03-08-2024 09:57 AM

Anyone have info on freeing the pillar doghouse tether?

dormeas 03-10-2024 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandier (Post 11409925)
Anyone have info on freeing the pillar doghouse tether?

I took mine off to replace the front speaker. It's been awhile, but if I remember right, the thick hair tie style band loops through a small plastic clip. If you pull the cover out far enough, you can use an angle pick or something to release the plastic clip and slide it out of the pillar cover. The strap clip slides in and locks to the cover much like an electrical connector with a plastic push tab to release.

I don't know if that will make sense. I had to pull mine out pretty far and get a bright light in there to see how it actually worked.

bandier 03-12-2024 05:25 PM

OK thanks. So the "hair tie" holder should release from the cover not the pillar itself. I'm on the cusp of relocating microphones. Unless, someone comes up with a cool solution. Help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dormeas (Post 11410413)
I took mine off to replace the front speaker. It's been awhile, but if I remember right, the thick hair tie style band loops through a small plastic clip. If you pull the cover out far enough, you can use an angle pick or something to release the plastic clip and slide it out of the pillar cover. The strap clip slides in and locks to the cover much like an electrical connector with a plastic push tab to release.

I don't know if that will make sense. I had to pull mine out pretty far and get a bright light in there to see how it actually worked.

Bumbleboy92 03-12-2024 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to the person that uploaded the whole manual on Reddit

arpad_m 03-12-2024 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 (Post 11410971)
Thanks to the person that uploaded the whole manual on Reddit

You don't like scrolling up, ha :laughabove:

Bumbleboy92 03-12-2024 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arpad_m (Post 11410975)
You don't like scrolling up, ha :laughabove:

Man I’m losing my mind, I could’ve sworn there wasn’t anything above but it’s 100% there :crazy:

Might be time for a nap if I’m making rookie mistakes like this

Need4Camaro 03-13-2024 12:35 AM

Where has everyone relocated their microphones? And how did they handle wiring it? Did you just solder new wire inline or was there enough factory wiring?

bandier 03-13-2024 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 (Post 11410988)
Man I’m losing my mind, I could’ve sworn there wasn’t anything above but it’s 100% there :crazy:

Might be time for a nap if I’m making rookie mistakes like this

No worries, thanks for contributing. The document on the A-pillar cover helped but doesnt go into specifics on releasing the "doghouse". Another dude on here gave some tips on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro (Post 11411044)
Where has everyone relocated their microphones? And how did they handle wiring it? Did you just solder new wire inline or was there enough factory wiring?

Good question.