CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ask the Camaro Team (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=309)
-   -   Zl1 1LE Nürburgring Chassis Settings Nov 2017 (?) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512241)

PinHead 11-01-2017 11:25 AM

Zl1 1LE Nürburgring Chassis Settings Nov 2017 (?)

Let's try this again for November.

Zl1 1LE Nürburgring Chassis Settings
Being a Camaro owner form the original Gen I F-Body Cars I would like to applaud the Design and Engineering Team for all their Blood Sweat and Tears that paid off in the form of the Gen6 and the 2018 ZL1 1LE, Bravo!

Some of us purchased the new ZL1 1LE exclusively to use every available ounce of performance for Track use. I know that the factory car's stasis and chassis settings at the time of delivery more than likely differed from the settings and adjustments made to the ZL1 1LE that achieved the record setting Nürburgring Lap.

Can you please enlighten your fellow ZL1 1LE Enthusiasts, Drivers and Mechanics on what final adjustments and setting were made to the car to achieve the Nürburgring Lap.

Thank you for taking time to help in the pursuit of performance.

Respectfully,

Mr. P/H

Studebakerpm 11-02-2017 07:38 AM

Great question! Got my vote.

Soleil 11-02-2017 10:39 AM

@P/H,
Please keep in mind that the setup for the the “green hell” is very unique and not applicable to other tracks. Even the cars running the GP course (Part of the green hell) at the Ring use a different setup.
Every car manufacturer use a very specific setup incl. tires and so on which is not available on the market. I don’t think that Al will explain all details to the setup.

Soleil 11-03-2017 02:39 PM

Please see here page 5

DGthe3 11-03-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleil (Post 9961359)
@P/H,
Please keep in mind that the setup for the the “green hell” is very unique and not applicable to other tracks. Even the cars running the GP course (Part of the green hell) at the Ring use a different setup.
Every car manufacturer use a very specific setup incl. tires and so on which is not available on the market. I don’t think that Al will explain all details to the setup.

GM runs stock cars, modified only for safety. Including stock tires.

What people are asking for is things like what the adjustable camber plate was set at, and the tire pressures.

Of course every track is different, but if a car is setup to perform at its optimum at the Nurburgring it should do well just about anywhere. Thats why manufacturers go there for testing in the first place.

90503 11-03-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 9962978)

What people are asking for is things like what the adjustable camber plate was set at, and the tire pressures.

Of course every track is different, but if a car is setup to perform at its optimum at the Nurburgring it should do well just about anywhere. Thats why manufacturers go there for testing in the first place.

After we find out how many have the same color paint-jobs and options as each other, actual helpful knowledge may become available later on.

Soleil 11-03-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 9962978)

Excuse me you must be joking. To run a good time is so important to the car maker that they use all available measures to do so. The track is the most difficult and the longest one in the world. To set a lap time which is below 7:20min is worth to mention it for every car manufacturer to show off.
Look who is faster. Nordschleife it’s not just camber plates and tire pressure. Think about engine oil, diff oil, modified air ducts, carbon break disks and pads, high octane gasoline, Special engine tune (altitude, humidity, temperatures......) probably the cars where assembled with minimized tolerances. Even the amateurs doing all this.

vtirocz 11-03-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleil (Post 9963040)
Excuse me you must be joking. To run a good time is so important to the car maker that they use all available measures to do so. The track is the most difficult and the longest one in the world. To set a lap time which is below 7:20min is worth to mention it for every car manufacturer to show off.
Look who is faster. Nordschleife it’s not just camber plates and tire pressure. Think about engine oil, diff oil, modified air ducts, carbon break disks and pads, high octane gasoline, Special engine tune (altitude, humidity, temperatures......) probably the cars where assembled with minimized tolerances. Even the amateurs doing all this.

Changing all the things you mentioned would be cheating. Maybe it happens by manufacturers since there's no governing body for Nurburgring lap times, but I doubt the team would put their credibility as engineers in question. And IF they did, they are not going to come onto the forum and admit to it!

I believe them that the car was completely stock down to the tires and brake pads, with the exception of safety equipment. The specific question being asked is about the on car adjustments made within the existing hardware (such as tire pressure and alignment info).

h422694 11-03-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soleil (Post 9963040)
Excuse me you must be joking. To run a good time is so important to the car maker that they use all available measures to do so. .

Not sure what they did, if anything, with Camaros but would have to agree with DGthe3 if history is any indication. When they test Corvettes, they run complete stock except for added safety equipment like radio, harness, telemetry. The car is taken off the line and runs the factory tune. In a lot of cases the driver has been Jim Merro who I believe is the chief Corvette chassis engineer. He's SCCA licensed but is not a professional driver like most teams use.
I know manufacturers like bragging rights but what purpose does it serve to highly modify production cars that they don't-won't-can't sell and that most people couldn't reproduce. A good time with a modified car might sell a few extra units but is that worth the chance of being considered fraudulent? Just my 2 cents.

ninetres 11-03-2017 05:47 PM

Even if the car is 100% stock, any data supplied will be specific to not just an incredibly unique track, but also the specific driver style and preferences. It’s not as if you ran the exact ring settings on your car, you would be in some sort of a sweet spot at your local track, with your amateur driving skill. Apples and oranges.

Satisfying curiosity is the only thing that learning the ring setup would accomplish.

Nick S 11-03-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinHead (Post 9960111)
Let's try this again for November.

Zl1 1LE Nürburgring Chassis Settings
Being a Camaro owner form the original Gen I F-Body Cars I would like to applaud the Design and Engineering Team for all their Blood Sweat and Tears that paid off in the form of the Gen6 and the 2018 ZL1 1LE, Bravo!

Some of us purchased the new ZL1 1LE exclusively to use every available ounce of performance for Track use. I know that the factory car's stasis and chassis settings at the time of delivery more than likely differed from the settings and adjustments made to the ZL1 1LE that achieved the record setting Nürburgring Lap.

Can you please enlighten your fellow ZL1 1LE Enthusiasts, Drivers and Mechanics on what final adjustments and setting were made to the car to achieve the Nürburgring Lap.

Thank you for taking time to help in the pursuit of performance.

Respectfully,

Mr. P/H

I voted for this one last month. I'd likely vote for it again. Curious minds want to know!

PinHead 11-04-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetres (Post 9963112)
Even if the car is 100% stock, any data supplied will be specific to not just an incredibly unique track, but also the specific driver style and preferences. It’s not as if you ran the exact ring settings on your car, you would be in some sort of a sweet spot at your local track, with your amateur driving skill. Apples and oranges.

Satisfying curiosity is the only thing that learning the ring setup would accomplish.

So you're saying that they didn't use/apply any tricks/tweeks? They had multiple engineering teams out there working on the car.

Just having that insight on the flow on how the car was adjusted is invaluable.

The Pro Race Teams don't even have that type of hands-on expertise on a Track.

PinHead 11-04-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 9962987)
After we find out how many have the same color paint-jobs and options as each other, actual helpful knowledge may become available later on.

:pound::pound::pound:

Gunkk 11-04-2017 09:15 AM

Well obviously it was red hot, the fastest color.

Besides that, this gets my vote :thumb: