CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Borla axle back (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560547)

ssmofo 08-18-2019 08:27 PM

Borla axle back

Guys.

Drove a car with NPP exhaust and really liked but, the dealer wouldn't deal so I went elsewhere and bought a 2SS with non NPP. Looked around and read some and decided on a Borla S type axle back and, all I can is fuuuuuuuuck yes. I don't need to stinking NPP exhaust. Awesome quality, easy to install, and sounds friggen amazing. If you're looking for a great sounding exhaust that's not loud AF, this is it.

Nick801 08-18-2019 08:57 PM

You get a whole catback with it or just axle back? id love to hear a sample of yours, i just got a 2ss yesterday and searching for a good loud exhaust and debating on the s-type catback though but im confused which one i need to buy and mines a non npp also.

Brandonc_06 08-18-2019 09:42 PM

I have a borla atak axle back. It can be loud but it can also be quiet. Perfect exhaust.

ssmofo 08-18-2019 10:30 PM

As I stated in the post it the S-type axle back, bough it pm amazon for about 110 bucks cheaper that any place else. Nick, do you have the quad or dual exhaust?

Nick801 08-18-2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssmofo (Post 10599792)
As I stated in the post it the S-type axle back, bough it pm amazon for about 110 bucks cheaper that any place else. Nick, do you have the quad or dual exhaust?

I have the dual exhaust(single tips) and trying to go cat back full exhaust non npp but confused on this talk of afm valves?

trohde78 08-20-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick801 (Post 10599803)
I have the dual exhaust(single tips) and trying to go cat back full exhaust non npp but confused on this talk of afm valves?

If you have an automatic, then you have the AFM valves. I believe you would also want them in the new cat back exhaust, unless you had the cylinder deactivation tuned out. They make the exhaust not sound like crap when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode.

*Note - I have a manual (no AFM), so this is just from what I've read on this forum. :-)

GrantB 08-20-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick801 (Post 10599723)
You get a whole catback with it or just axle back? id love to hear a sample of yours, i just got a 2ss yesterday and searching for a good loud exhaust and debating on the s-type catback though but im confused which one i need to buy and mines a non npp also.

I have done lots of research on this topic and have NPP. I know it is different, but the dB levels aren't much different if you have NPP valves open or if you have the dual tips. The atak will give you more of the gargle and popping, throaty sound of a V8. The S-type, while still having a deep tone, will be slightly subdued but still insanely good sounding. If I didn't have NPP and had single tips, I'd opt for the S-type to get a good balance of deep throaty notes but also be able to scream in higher RPM's.

Another thing to think about is your warranty. Depending on if you have a certified pre-owned or if you just have the factory warranty left, tuning the car or getting a catback system will void your warranty if the dealer wants to be a dick. If you tune it (pretty much necessary with catback) then most every dealership would refuse a warranty claim. Food for thought, because I love knowing if anything happens to my car bumper to bumper I''m covered and especially if the powertrain fails. That'd be very costly to repair out of pocket.

The secondary cats aren't technically monitored so they can be removed without a tune needed. Only issue is that if your motor blows and you have a warranty, and try to get it repaired, the ECU map they send to GM for approval of a new motor will show the car not meeting the CO/2 emissions that are picked up, I believe, after the secondary cats. It's just a sensor there I believe (was told this from a tech guy I trust at a dealership). Basically if you want to keep warranty, do an axle back. Otherwise be ready to drop some $ on a full system and find a good tuner. I would delete AFM if I had an automatic and got it tuned, or at least see if I could get it disabled below a certain speed or gear.

Just my 0.02 cents! Best of luck and welcome the wonderful world of a 2SS!

MPLJR1222 08-20-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonc_06 (Post 10599762)
I have a borla atak axle back. It can be loud but it can also be quiet. Perfect exhaust.

Agreed!! Quiet when cruising, loud when on it

enzia35 08-20-2019 07:33 PM

https://youtu.be/sEqktJRy97g

Borla is alright I guess...

Juiced1 08-20-2019 07:39 PM

It's hard to beat Borla

CompleteStreet 08-21-2019 12:08 PM

Borla is great, and if you call us @ 610-628-1563 we can give you a great deal!

cbr1100xx 08-21-2019 02:58 PM

I have the same exhaust; Borla S-type non-npp axleback. IMO it sounds clearly better than the OEM NPP exhaust. Simply awesome. And not crazy loud...perfect. Paid around $730 on Amazon 4 months ago.

Sound clip below doesn't do it justice. Driving around it sounds so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h11U6gY3eY

cbr1100xx 08-21-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick801 (Post 10599723)

If you want "loud" go Borla ATAK. The S-type is plenty good sounding but it's just loud enough IMO to not be annoying. ATAK is louder.

cbr1100xx 08-21-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trohde78 (Post 10601422)
If you have an automatic, then you have the AFM valves. I believe you would also want them in the new cat back exhaust, unless you had the cylinder deactivation tuned out. They make the exhaust not sound like crap when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode.

*Note - I have a manual (no AFM), so this is just from what I've read on this forum. :-)

You don't need to worry about AFM. I have it in my A10. Borla axleback has no effect on AFM. You can't hear it at all.