CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   disconnecting vacuum bypass (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567804)

biker2k 01-05-2020 05:17 PM

disconnecting vacuum bypass

Does any one ever drive their PD Blower with the bypass disconnected and plugged.

I wonder in around town driving how much penalty there would be in gas mileage as opposed benefit in drivability.
for sure it would be a big deal on long trips but for the track or around town I think it would be better, anybody do this...

laynlo15 01-05-2020 05:51 PM

Why? Its open when cruising so basically the blower is free wheeling and just along for the ride until you get into the throttle and closes the actuator and then goes into boost. That's how the Magnuson works so I'm assuming the 2300 Ebrock would do the same.

biker2k 01-05-2020 06:49 PM

I feel like I can feel it switch on and off
a little annoying I would think at the race track (not dragstrip) it could get in the way.

gotswap 01-05-2020 09:53 PM

@edfhobbies

Seemed you mentioned something about this being an issue on the older eForce?

tlk-1997 01-06-2020 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynlo15 (Post 10693378)
Why? Its open when cruising so basically the blower is free wheeling and just along for the ride until you get into the throttle and closes the actuator and then goes into boost. That's how the Magnuson works so I'm assuming the 2300 Ebrock would do the same.

Yes...The Edelbrock functions the same.

tlk-1997 01-06-2020 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker2k (Post 10693410)
I feel like I can feel it switch on and off
a little annoying I would think at the race track (not dragstrip) it could get in the way.

You can use a vacuum restrictor in the vacuum line to slow down the response. I had one sent to me from Edelbrock. Its just a nitrous jet. I put it in and the took it out.

biker2k 01-06-2020 08:00 AM

did it help
the on/off feeling

tlk-1997 01-06-2020 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by biker2k (Post 10693722)
did it help
the on/off feeling

Yes. This smooths out the boost. The nitrous jet size was .015. Below is a picture that represents a bypass valve and location of the nitrous jet.

biker2k 01-06-2020 08:06 PM

and you left it in and liked it..
it was not clear if you put it in then took it out..
was that you main compliant the on/off feeling?

EDFHOBBIES 01-08-2020 07:26 AM

I think the only harm would be for the bypass to be stuck closed.. excessive heat who knows what else.. You don't have a gauge I assume but on the zl1 with low shifts the boost never gets really above 0 psi and hangs in vacuum most of the time.

TJay74 01-08-2020 09:23 AM

If the surge valve is working right then it is open under part throttle driving as there isnt any vacuum which is what pulls the surge valve closed and allows boost to build up. AS soon as you release the throttle and vacuum drops off the surge valve opens back up and bleeds the boosted air back off.

If you take the vacuum reference line off of the surge valve it means it wont even close and boost will not build.

KingLT1 01-08-2020 09:30 AM

I believe the OP is complaining about the bypass being too much like a on/off switch. So it goes from nothing to kill with just the slightest increase in throttle. Placing a restrictor in the vacuum line will slow down the speed at which the bypass closes and smooth the transition from vacuum to boost.

I believe this is why the factory LT4 has a electronic bypass solenoid where the aftermarket stuff is just a mechanical vaccum operated unit.

biker2k 01-08-2020 12:36 PM

when there is vacuum there is no boost...
it when the vacuum goes away that it closes and builds boost.
an yes its the on off feeling, I did not know lt4 had electronic control..
I wonder if there is a way to make that work?

TJay74 01-08-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker2k (Post 10695436)
when there is vacuum there is no boost...
it when the vacuum goes away that it closes and builds boost.
an yes its the on off feeling, I did not know lt4 had electronic control..
I wonder if there is a way to make that work?

The electronic bypass valve is how GM limits max boost and how they bleed off boost once the throttle shuts. Once you hit max boost psi the programming opens the surge valve and bleeds off boost.

And yes you are correct, I had the vacuum reference backwards.