CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior) (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   My solution to accidentally hitting the mode select button (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554173)

Jdelgado92 05-11-2019 10:44 AM

My solution to accidentally hitting the mode select button

4 Attachment(s)
I don’t know how many people have this issue but I’ve found my self hitting the mode select button by accident quite a few times. I drive a stick shift so my hands in that area most of the time. I think they could’ve placed if somewhere else but it is what it is. Anyways, I bought a 3D printer recently and I know my way around the AutoCad program so I designed this little flip cover thing to keep me from accidentally hitting the buttons. It’s just a prototype, I still have to tweak the shape of it so it flows better with everything else and other few adjustments. This is what I got so far and it fits pretty good, no vibrations while driving either and I can fully rest my hand on it if I want to. Any suggestion to make the design better are appreciated!

VinnAY 05-11-2019 11:33 AM

Im not going to say that that's not a nifty gadget and the creativity you have is really spot on here. I bet you start getting requests and or your cad files...!

17rsvert 05-11-2019 12:43 PM

Great idea. Maybe it would look a little more OEM if you taper the sides smaller towards the parking brake button. In other words, follow the contour of the shift boot trim, if that's possible.

RideWithDanger 05-11-2019 02:26 PM

That is actually really cool. Also I have the red interior as well and love it. That fits nicely!

mspeed1LE 05-11-2019 06:45 PM

Sign me up! I've hit that damn button more times than I should!

Captain J 05-11-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspeed1LE (Post 10516391)
Sign me up! I've hit that damn button more times than I should!

Yep, It's a great idea. I tend to rest my hand on the shifter and hit that mode select with my wrist. I like the idea of tapering it down to match the boot trim shape. How is it attached to the boot trim?

If you decide to make a few prototypes, maybe black one, I'd be interested in testing it for you...I'd even toss a few $$ your way.

Jdelgado92 05-11-2019 07:40 PM

Thanks for the feed back everyone, right now it just attaches to the boot trim with 3M tape. I thought about maybe making it to where you’d have to drill 2 holes into the boot turn and having to use screws but I feel not everyone would be willing to do that so I think 3M tape does the job for now. That’s a great idea about tapering to match the boot trim, I also thought about giving it more of an oval shape on the top part to have it flow better instead of just straight. I’ll keep working on it and keep you guys updated!

Camaro_QC 05-11-2019 10:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just went outside, took a picture of the button and sketched something quick to show what I think it should look like (following the shape of the console, etc).

If I had a 3D printer I would have made a test!

But you know what, I don't even need that piece as I never hit it by accident. In fact I've heard that it is bad to rest your arm on the shifter has it puts pressure on the synchro while driving... Not sure if it is true but I have learned to rest my hands elsewhere. That way I'm not even close to the mode button.

Grumpy1 05-12-2019 02:32 AM

Great idea........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_QC (Post 10516512)
But you know what, I don't even need that piece as I never hit it by accident. In fact I've heard that it is bad to rest your arm on the shifter has it puts pressure on the synchro while driving... Not sure if it is true but I have learned to rest my hands elsewhere. That way I'm not even close to the mode button.

I don't rest my hand on the shifter itself but do on the console, so I do occasionally hit the button.

DarkPaladin 05-12-2019 04:37 AM

I have a Photon resin printer. But I would love the 3d file to try and make myself one.)

Camaro_QC 05-12-2019 06:54 AM

Just send me a pm with your email and I'll transfer you what I have. Note that it hasn't been tested yet so it might not fit 100%

beedo 05-12-2019 02:37 PM

Good idea, I always hit the traction control button on accident. Usualy dont know it because the steering wheel is in the way and always when it's raining. Scary shit sometimes

Mick0311 05-13-2019 11:06 AM

I'm in for a black one. Great idea.