Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   excuse my ignorance.how do i drive my car in m mode (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426078)

pabloss 10-11-2015 05:31 PM

excuse my ignorance.how do i drive my car in m mode

hi everyone.excuse my ignorance.how do I drive my automatic ss l99 Camaro on manual mode.and can you explain what s mode means?..and when should I shift..im confused lol...need you guys to share some knowelge with me..

Jackass 10-11-2015 05:37 PM

Start the car , pull the shifter towards the back where it says S , then use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to shift up ( right hand side ) and down ( left hand side )
If you leave the stick ( shifter ) that's on the center console pulled to the back and don't touch it , it will stay ON SPORT mode ( automatic ) but more aggressive shifting ( will only shift at higher RPM ) than on DRIVE.

Rock-It Man 10-11-2015 05:41 PM

S mode means the tranny is shifting for you, but going to higher rpms in each gear than it would in D, and shifting more abruptly.

When the shift lever is in M, you can begin using the paddles. Once you touch the paddles, you are on your own to shift appropriately. The display now shows the gear you're in, M1, M2, M3, etc, instead of S. There's a good explanation of this in the user's manual.

2xSSRS 10-11-2015 05:44 PM

Like You Stole It.... :happyanim:

BLU DUCE 10-11-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xSSRS (Post 8679204)
Like You Stole It.... :happyanim:

The capital S in stole it is for Sport Mode.:stang::character0229: :facepalm: :sorry:couldn't help my self

cal45 10-11-2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackass (Post 8679198)
Start the car , pull the shifter towards the back where it says S , then use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to shift up ( right hand side ) and down ( left hand side )
If you leave the stick ( shifter ) that's on the center console pulled to the back and don't touch it , it will stay ON SPORT mode ( automatic ) but more aggressive shifting ( will only shift at higher RPM ) than on DRIVE.

Correct but one minor clarification to avoid confusion - on the auto shift lever center console, there isn't a S but M (right below D) - but that M will put it in S (Sport mode). In Sport mode you can use the paddle shifters or let the tranny shift itself w/o touching the paddle shifters. I drive mine in M/Sport mode and let the tranny to the shifting.

Wattser93 10-11-2015 07:35 PM

Another thing you may or may not know. If you're in "M" and take over with the paddles you can press and hold the upshift paddle and it'll return to sport mode with automatic shifting.

xrivera91 10-11-2015 07:51 PM

Okay I was extremely confused for a second because I've never seen an S on my shifter. However, let me get this straight putting the car in "M" and I can shift using paddles. If I long press the up shift it'll still be in "M" but the car will do the shifting for me? I've been afraid to use the "M" mode as I do think want to screw up anything that I'm sure has to be stupid proof to some degree.

yescats 10-11-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabloss (Post 8679190)
hi everyone.excuse my ignorance.how do I drive my automatic ss l99 Camaro on manual mode.and can you explain what s mode means?..and when should I shift..im confused lol...need you guys to share some knowelge with me..

Read your manual. All of it.

Blutob2 10-11-2015 07:57 PM

Explain how suggesting reading the manual is not helpful? Cars and technology is getting more complicated so it's ignorant not to read the manual.

xrivera91 10-11-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutob2 (Post 8679388)
Explain how suggesting reading the manual is not helpful? Cars and technology is getting more complicated so it's ignorant not to read the manual.

Wasn't trying to be an ass. It's just we don't know if he even owns a manual or understood it for that matter. I've found this website to be extremely helpful thanks to everyone who is a part of it. Hope he gets the answers he's looking for. Plus I'd like to see as well.

yescats 10-11-2015 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrivera91 (Post 8679375)
Okay I was extremely confused for a second day because I've never seen an S on my shifter. However, let me get this straight putting the car in "M" and I can shift using paddles. If I long press the up shift it'll still be in "M" but the car will do the shifting for me? I've been afraid to use the "M" mode as I do think want to screw up anything that I'm sure has to be stupid proof to some degree.

You'll see an S in your Heads Up Display (and the Driver's Information Center). Once you start shifting the S will go away and you'll see what gear you're in on the Heads Up Display (and DIC). If you hold the right tap shifter for a few seconds it will cancel the Tap Shift and return it to Sport Mode, which is basically the same as having it in Drive. You have you Heads Up Display turned on, right?

In Sport mode, or M if you're looking at your shifter, it's pretty much the same as D even though the owner's manual says it holds the gears longer and has a firmer shift. Maybe it does on the track but I haven't seen it on the road yet. The added benefit of using your tap shift to drive is it temporarily shuts off AFM (in other words it stays in 8 cylinder mode). Any DOWNSHIFT shuts off AFM until you restart the car, shift back to Drive, or hold the right tap shift for two seconds. However, you won't find that in the owner's manual. They're not about to publicly tell you how to defeat something that was put in to avoid a gas guzzler tax.

To make it even more confusing even though the manual says, "To use Tap Shift, the
shift lever must be in M (Manual Mode)", that's not entirely true. You can also Tap Shift in Drive but it will cancel itself automatically when the car needs to upshift. No need to hold down the right Tap Shift button for two seconds. It's good for things like downshifting into a turn, using the transmission to slow down rather than your brakes, scaring people on the sidewalk, and setting off car alarms.

Wattser93 10-11-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrivera91 (Post 8679375)
Okay I was extremely confused for a second because I've never seen an S on my shifter. However, let me get this straight putting the car in "M" and I can shift using paddles. If I long press the up shift it'll still be in "M" but the car will do the shifting for me? I've been afraid to use the "M" mode as I do think want to screw up anything that I'm sure has to be stupid proof to some degree.

Put shifter into "M". You'll see "S" in your HUD. You're now in sport mode with automatic shifting.

If you use a paddle to shift, you'll see the gear selection in your HUD, you now have to shift manually. When you want it to go back to automatic shifting, holding the upshift paddle until it goes back to "S" in your HUD. Now you're back in sport mode with automatic shifting.

You're not going to break anything. Try it in a parking lot and you'll have it figured out in about 45 seconds.

xrivera91 10-11-2015 08:26 PM

Thanks for the breakdown I'm going to give it a shot.