CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252)
-   -   Ceramic question (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540390)

Dubchitts 10-11-2018 02:46 AM

Ceramic question

Sorry if it's been asked, my search function isnt working. can I ceramic coat my satin black painted hood? If so, is there a different process/product for that or is it all the same.

verdicaysen 10-11-2018 07:52 AM

New here, but i've done a lot of searching and i'm getting the process done next month before winter really sets in up here in PA. If it's painted and has a clear coat on it it shouldn't make a difference what kind of hood it is. My understanding of the ceramic coat process is that it is applied, cures, and bonds . That's it's job. Should keep you going for much longer than a wax. Mileage may vary. :)

Dubchitts 10-11-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verdicaysen (Post 10334652)
New here, but i've done a lot of searching and i'm getting the process done next month before winter really sets in up here in PA. If it's painted and has a clear coat on it it shouldn't make a difference what kind of hood it is. My understanding of the ceramic coat process is that it is applied, cures, and bonds . That's it's job. Should keep you going for much longer than a wax. Mileage may vary. :)

No clear on it, stock SS hood. All I do is wash it with meticulous matte from chemical guys. One pass like a rinseless and then some light "scrubbing" if I drove it in the rain. Two years old and still looks flawless! Just wondering if it's safe on bare satin paint when I do the rest of the car

whiskeyfed 10-11-2018 09:47 AM

You can ceramic coat it. I am sure there are videos out there about ceramic coating satin.

You can ceramic coat pretty much anything. If you are on IG, shoot @wrap_n_shine a message and tell them I sent you. They would be happy to answer any questions you have. They do this stuff daily.

Silverwing 10-16-2018 02:18 PM

I would check with a local ceramic person on that satin finish. I've heard of ceramic coating adding a little bit of gloss/shine to a otherwise satin finish.

Dubchitts 10-17-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverwing (Post 10338705)
I would check with a local ceramic person on that satin finish. I've heard of ceramic coating adding a little bit of gloss/shine to a otherwise satin finish.

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering that or incorrect application that results in streaking/yellowing. Probably would stick out horrible on satin paint and end up ruining it during removal

Camaro_QC 10-17-2018 09:21 PM

Check out CK wrap on YouTube. He just released a video answering this question and anything related to ceramic coating on wrap.

Dubchitts 10-17-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_QC (Post 10339938)
Check out CK wrap on YouTube. He just released a video answering this question and anything related to ceramic coating on wrap.

I don't have wrap. But I did do like silverwing suggested and talked to a local shop. While I'm not going ceramic at this moment, I did drop my car for a 2.5 step Polish (minus all the black stuff) and paint sealant for now. I think I'll have my oem fuel door painted up and test it on that

dunedon 10-17-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverwing (Post 10338705)

Ceramic Pro does have a matte version of their ceramic coating as well as the “regular” gloss coating.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 10-18-2018 09:27 PM

There are special matte coatings. In general though, a Ceramic Coating is fine over matte vinyl, it does tend to add a bit of gloss but no where near a clear coated paint look.

Demon War Horse 11-05-2018 03:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I ceramic coated my vinyl hood on my 1LE, so you should be fine!

kropscamaro16 11-05-2018 03:26 PM

yes you can ceramic coat over paint/clear/wrap