CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Best headers?!?! (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525569)

Sharp Shifter 04-08-2018 09:49 PM

Best headers?!?!

2" headers will be the direction I choose, but.......which one has the best producing results? Has anyone compared ARH, kooks, stainless works and Texas Speed?

Or has everyone just assumed the most expensive is the best? Because if Texas speed performs just as good at half the price, why not?

Figure this would be a good threat for everyone trying to make this decision. Pros and cons

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-08-2018 10:03 PM

ARH is the best. Kooks is tied. But ARH is the only Header company that are not only made in the USA but the steel itself is made in the USA. All the other companies source steel from China or similar countries. ARH's are used on the COPO for a reason and money no object they're the best. Plus, between ARH and Kooks, ARH is the only one to make the long system that would connect just before the factory suit case on these ZL1's, which is what you want so you delete the secondary cats, junk factory X, and crushed rear section.

I'm not saying you can't make power and be just fine on TSP's or similar, but for me, it's ARH or Kooks, and in the case of the 6th ZL1, ARH.

TDS 04-08-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10139177)
ARH is the best. Kooks is tied. But ARH is the only Header company that are not only made in the USA but the steel itself is made in the USA. All the other companies source steel from China or similar countries. ARH's are used on the COPO for a reason and money no object they're the best. Plus, between ARH and Kooks, ARH is the only one to make the long system that would connect just before the factory suit case on these ZL1's, which is what you want so you delete the secondary cats, junk factory X, and crushed rear section.

I'm not saying you can't make power and be just fine on TSP's or similar, but for me, it's ARH or Kooks, and in the case of the 6th ZL1, ARH.

I went with Kooks and they fit great! Not sure the extra money for the ARH are worth it, however maybe with the fact that they get rid of the crushed pipe, did not know that.

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-08-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDS (Post 10139218)
I went with Kooks and they fit great! Not sure the extra money for the ARH are worth it, however maybe with the fact that they get rid of the crushed pipe, did not know that.

Kooks are absolutely as good as ARH in fitment and build quality. Again like I said the only things with the ARH is in this case, they have a long system and they’re the only header company with US sourced steel. That’s all.

tnspd 04-09-2018 08:05 AM

I have the ARH full system. Fits great. I have ARH on my 2010 and 2018 Camaro's. Can't got wrong.

unavailablezl1 04-09-2018 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP (Post 10139233)
Kooks are absolutely as good as ARH in fitment and build quality. Again like I said the only things with the ARH is in this case, they have a long system and they’re the only header company with US sourced steel. That’s all.

After this post I went and looked and it also says that ARH are officially licensed by GM.

Maybe this would mean that you could go to the dealer and get an upgrade and maybe a tune and keep your warranty. Mmmmmmm food for thought/research

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-09-2018 12:06 PM

Yep. If you buy ARH headers for GM cars now they actually say GM Performance on them or something like that I think. I saw it in RPM's video.

Walt88 04-09-2018 12:17 PM

So every time I have looked into this myself, comparing cars tuned at the same place with same mods etc, ARH usually wins in the numbers department. That being said, many times it was only by a few horsepower, so if you can pick up a set of kooks or TSP significantly cheaper I'd say go for it. If money is no object then ARH all the way.

unavailablezl1 04-09-2018 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the GM Parts Catalog for ZL1 1LE upgrades....not bad..

https://html5.dcatalog.com/?docid=00...5604bc#page=24

danhr 04-09-2018 01:56 PM

whichever set is on sale.

texas speed offers a great bang for your buck

Kooks vs Stainless Works vs ARH is a topic that has been beat to death decades ago. It's 100% subjective. Go with whichever one has the better sticker to put on the side of your car.

djfury05 04-09-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danhr (Post 10140528)
whichever set is on sale.

texas speed offers a great bang for your buck

Kooks vs Stainless Works vs ARH is a topic that has been beat to death decades ago. It's 100% subjective. Go with whichever one has the better sticker to put on the side of your car.

For me it's not 100% subjective. Many years ago I had a set of ARH headers for a 4th gen Camaro with the evap extensions that eventually broke off due to too heavy of a block off plate. Not their fault at all as they didn't make the block off plates I was using. I called the owner Nick and he sent me a complete brand new set for headers for free shipped on their dime and I kept the old broken ones. If that doesn't say something to you then I don't know what would about excellent customer service. ARH has earned me as a customer for life. Sometimes its not just about the parts...

Can'tHave2MuchHP 04-09-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfury05 (Post 10140605)
For me it's not 100% subjective. Many years ago I had a set of ARH headers for a 4th gen Camaro with the evap extensions that eventually broke off due to too heavy of a block off plate. Not their fault at all as they didn't make the block off plates I was using. I called the owner Nick and he sent me a complete brand new set for headers for free shipped on their dime and I kept the old broken ones. If that doesn't say something to you then I don't know what would about excellent customer service. ARH has earned me as a customer for life. Sometimes its not just about the parts...

Yeah it's definitely not 100% subjective. Furthermore I wouldn't put Stainless Works equal with Kooks and ARH.

SJFGTO 04-09-2018 06:12 PM

Kooks v. ARH is too close to call. Fit, quality, collector design, etc. are outstanding. Go with the best price. You can not go wrong either way.