CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z/28 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=298)
-   -   GM files trademark for LT5, next Z28 engine? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468281)

Jeffro19 09-28-2016 11:24 AM

GM files trademark for LT5, next Z28 engine?

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this the other day and was wondering if this could be the next Z28 powerplant or a future camaro engine? It talks about the next ZR1 but it may trickle down to the camaro. Thoughts?

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...zr1-is-coming/

Quote:

On September 19th, 2016, General Motors filed an application to register LT5 as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). The application is assigned serial number 87175676 and specifies that the trademark will be used to name “Engines for automobiles, sport utility vehicles, trucks and vans.”

This is the second time time that General Motors has applied for the LT5 trademark, with the first time being on April 2nd, 2013.

In order to successfully register a trademark and prove to the USPTO that the name being filed is a real world product or service, a document called “Statement of Use” must be submitted to the office along with the trademark application. The applicant has up to three years to provide the office with this document.

Since the 2013 application is probably expiring, GM is showing intent on using the LT5 nomenclature for some future engine.
Attachment 823783

HumanWiki 09-28-2016 11:51 AM

Been a couple talks of this around here and in the Z/28 thread. Katech actually had a link on their site to mods for an LT5, then it vanished.

iPODFAN11 09-28-2016 11:58 AM

LT5 was last used in the ZR1 Corvette...that would be my guess for said application, however, nothing would be stopping it from ending up in a Camaro necessarily...

Bhobbs 09-28-2016 12:35 PM

The LT5 was on Katech's page along side the C8 ZR1. It will likely be a forced induction engine making more power than the LT4, so I doubt it will be a Z/28 engine.

whiteboyblues2001 09-28-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9333782)
The LT5 was on Katech's page along side the C8 ZR1. It will likely be a forced induction engine making more power than the LT4, so I doubt it will be a Z/28 engine.

What gives you the impression that it would be forced induction? The last LT5 was a OHC N/A motor. Perhaps they are going that route again? I think a lot of folks would love to see an N/A motor for the Z/28, but with the amount of HP that is driving down the road, it could be hard to build an N/A motor with enough HP and meeting CAFE and emissions standards. Can't wait to find out!

Bhobbs 09-28-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 9333819)
What gives you the impression that it would be forced induction? The last LT5 was a OHC N/A motor. Perhaps they are going that route again? I think a lot of folks would love to see an N/A motor for the Z/28, but with the amount of HP that is driving down the road, it could be hard to build an N/A motor with enough HP and meeting CAFE and emissions standards. Can't wait to find out!

The gen II LT4 wasn't supercharged but the gen V LT4 is.

I believe it will be forced induction because it is going in a vehicle above the Z06, so it would need to separate itself from the Z06. The Z06 is the "ultimate track Corvette", so they can't come out with some high performance, n/a track monster Corvette that outperforms the Z06.

fradaj 09-28-2016 01:53 PM

Last rumor I heard the LT5 was supposed to be a turbocharged V8 for Cadillac. 560 HP.

DGthe3 09-28-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fradaj (Post 9333946)
Last rumor I heard the LT5 was supposed to be a turbocharged V8 for Cadillac. 560 HP.

I don't think that engine is the LT5. The small DOHC twin turbo Cadillac engine is supposed to be a part of a completely new engine family -not the Gen V 'LT' series of small blocks.

BradfordCamaro 09-28-2016 02:10 PM

You would think GM would trade mark a bunch of LT series engines to prevent someone else doing it and charging them / suing them to use it.

whiteboyblues2001 09-28-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 9333872)
I believe it will be forced induction because it is going in a vehicle above the Z06, so it would need to separate itself from the Z06. The Z06 is the "ultimate track Corvette", so they can't come out with some high performance, n/a track monster Corvette that outperforms the Z06.

Perhaps the plan for the Z/28 isn't necessarily to outperform the Z06 on the track?

Not to mention, there is a new mid-engine corvette (Zora) in the works, that will probably outperform the Z06 anyway. So perhaps the new Zora and Z/28 will share an N/A engine, the Z/28 will outperform the Z06 and the Zora will outperform both still giving the vette bragging rights. The plumbing on a mid-engine vette will be more complicated with an FI engine in order to deal with heat issues. Perhaps that is motivation to go with N/A?

This is probably wishful thinking, but hey, a guy can dream can't he???

shaffe 09-28-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 (Post 9334010)
Perhaps the plan for the Z/28 isn't necessarily to outperform the Z06 on the track?

Not to mention, there is a new mid-engine corvette (Zora) in the works, that will probably outperform the Z06 anyway. So perhaps the new Zora and Z/28 will share an N/A engine, the Z/28 will outperform the Z06 and the Zora will outperform both still giving the vette bragging rights. The plumbing on a mid-engine vette will be more complicated with an FI engine in order to deal with heat issues. Perhaps that is motivation to go with N/A?

This is probably wishful thinking, but hey, a guy can dream can't he???

regardless of what goes into the Z/28, I don't see it outperforming the Z06. As of right now the Z06 is the top of the food chain. If its an N/A motor, it wont make more power than the LT4, the Camaro will weigh more and be less aerodynamic. IMO there would be to many things in the Z06's favor to make it faster around the track. I just cant see a Camaro with 500-550ish hp being faster around a track than a Corvette with 650 HP.

And I believe Bhobbs was taking about the mid engine zora vette needing to outperform the current Z06

Now if its got a power adder, than that changes things.

Bhobbs 09-28-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 9334122)
regardless of what goes into the Z/28, I don't see it outperforming the Z06. As of right now the Z06 is the top of the food chain. If its an N/A motor, it wont make more power than the LT4, the Camaro will weigh more and be less aerodynamic. IMO there would be to many things in the Z06's favor to make it faster around the track. I just cant see a Camaro with 500-550ish hp being faster around a track than a Corvette with 650 HP.

And I believe Bhobbs was taking about the mid engine zora vette needing to outperform the current Z06

Now if its got a power adder, than that changes things.

I was referring to the Zora and whatever the big wing Corvette is we saw recently.

detltu 09-29-2016 08:35 AM

My guess is the LT5 will go in the ZR-1/Zora. I believe it will be turbo charged and fit above the current LT4.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Z/28 recieved a NA version of the LT5. I think it would basically have to be DOHC to increase the horsepower over the LS7. My guess would be about 550 hp target.

There also could be potential to slip that same engine into the mid engine Corvette and have two variations. NA and Turbo(or SC). Makes some sense if they are building a new Chassis to have a lower cost variant to help foot the bill.

FNxR3DNECK 09-29-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detltu (Post 9335101)
My guess is the LT5 will go in the ZR-1/Zora. I believe it will be turbo charged and fit above the current LT4.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Z/28 recieved a NA version of the LT5. I think it would basically have to be DOHC to increase the horsepower over the LS7. My guess would be about 550 hp target.

There also could be potential to slip that same engine into the mid engine Corvette and have two variations. NA and Turbo(or SC). Makes some sense if they are building a new Chassis to have a lower cost variant to help foot the bill.

I personally don't think the "Zora" Needs more power to out perform the Z06. The Chassis will be better balanced and I would assume weigh less, so with all the suspension bits from the Z06 (probably improved) and Cup 2's and CC brakes it should have no problem being faster than the Z06 with only 600hp. And it would be totally possible for Chevy to get 600hp out of a larger displacement maybe higher revving version of the LT1 (aka LT5) and this motor could also be put in the Z/28 which probably would land between the GS and Z06 in terms of performance.

Just my thoughts, and hopes haha