CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Ported throttle body with gm tune?? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531004)

appleman22 06-07-2018 06:42 PM

Ported throttle body with gm tune??

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone on here has the gm performance cold air intake and the gm tune on their camaro. I was debating adding a ported throttle body but I am unsure how it will affect air fuel ratio and drivability with the gm performance tune.

thanks guys

cmeJATT 06-07-2018 08:00 PM

You can do following without needing a tune (obviously tune would yield more power)
Ported Throttle Body
Cold Air Intake
Catback Exhaust
Secondary Cat Delete

If you want to add Intake Manifold you will need to tune the car.

appleman22 06-07-2018 08:40 PM

I totally understand as this isn’t my first rodeo. However the car I purchased has a gm performance cold air intake and the gm performance tune.

I’m just curious as to how the gm performance tune would cooperate with the ported throttle body

Mark114 06-07-2018 09:45 PM

I have a 2016 2SS with the GM CAI and tune. Later I added a Mamo ported throttle body and finally I added a Pray ported intake manifold a few months ago. I don't have an easy way to check AFR but the car has run fine with no CELs or problems with any of these combinations. I hope this helps.

Burly 06-08-2018 05:32 AM

I have about 4K miles on GM CAI/GM tune and Tony Mamo ported throttle body with no issues. Combo works well for me, got rid of a little bog I had noticed.

GuywithL86 06-08-2018 08:08 AM

There is no blanket statement of “these mods don’t need a tune”

Fuel quality varies by region, as does the air, as does each brand of part

Gaurantee like half the stock SS’s in the country will see some knock on 93 octane and pull a little timing, just because of the fuel quality by region.

From a tuner that travels around the country - “Washington DC area has the best fuel, followed by philadelphia area”

62nalide 06-08-2018 08:33 AM

A ported throttle body is going to give throttle response vs HP and will not effect any fuel trims what so ever. Like GuywithL86 mentioned, every mod needs to have a calibration for max performance. Modding with no tune is not the brightest idea. These LTs are not like the LS where you can get away with being a little more rich.

bullet3z 06-09-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62nalide (Post 10211901)
A ported throttle body is going to give throttle response vs HP and will not effect any fuel trims what so ever. Like GuywithL86 mentioned, every mod needs to have a calibration for max performance. Modding with no tune is not the brightest idea. These LTs are not like the LS where you can get away with being a little more rich.

So being that the ported throttle body affects response. Would it or could it adversely affect the LT1 without a tune?

blk 2013 06-10-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark114 (Post 10211631)
I have a 2016 2SS with the GM CAI and tune. Later I added a Mamo ported throttle body and finally I added a Pray ported intake manifold a few months ago. I don't have an easy way to check AFR but the car has run fine with no CELs or problems with any of these combinations. I hope this helps.

this same set up minus gm cai and car runs fine no rich condition.

62nalide 06-11-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullet3z (Post 10213052)
So being that the ported throttle body affects response. Would it or could it adversely affect the LT1 without a tune?

At 1st yes, best thing is disconnect the battery for 3mins and plug it back up and it'll relearn with the ported throttle body.

RobbyBeefcake87 11-27-2018 12:05 PM

I was going to make a thread about this and then decide to use my noodle a utilize the search feature. I'm in the same predicament, have the gm cai with tune and want a ported TB. Seems like it should be fine, has anything verified since? OP?

MatthewAMEL 11-27-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeJATT (Post 10211526)
You can do following without needing a tune (obviously tune would yield more power)
Ported Throttle Body
Cold Air Intake
Catback Exhaust
Secondary Cat Delete

If you want to add Intake Manifold you will need to tune the car.

Add ported OEM IM to that list.

Only need a tune for larger than OEM TB or MSD IM.

appleman22 11-29-2018 09:49 AM

Yup all good. Added tony Mamo ported tb a while back. Nothing but praise. Really improved the drive ability. Totally worth it.

RobbyBeefcake87 11-29-2018 09:57 AM

Tb

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleman22 (Post 10371878)
Yup all good. Added tony Mamo ported tb a while back. Nothing but praise. Really improved the drive ability. Totally worth it.

Still on stock tune?