Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's the bigger sin: the Stang log rear axle, or the Maro porkiness? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73994)

sen10l 03-29-2010 03:23 PM

What's the bigger sin: the Stang log rear axle, or the Maro porkiness?

As a person with an engineering educational background, I appreciate good technology, so I don't appreciate the log rear axle of the Mustang despite the propaganda spouted (read: excuses) for it. I can't in good conscience drive a car that has a "feature" that no other sports car has.

On the other hand, the Camaro is a porky car. Every picture I see of the 3 main muscle cars shows the Camaro as the widest of the three. This thing is massive! And the weight of course is no better. In fact, I think the Mustang size and weight is "perfect".

The perfect car will be a Camaro with trimmed down dimensions to be around the same size as the Mustang, slightly higher roof and slightly lower body height to improve visibility (which I don't think will reduce its good looks), and improved handling. Ideally the Camaro will weigh no more than the Mustang. That is the absolutely perfect car. I will be completely and 100% satisfied in every regard.

Okay, so given that at the very least, I will not see this perfection until 2014 when the Camaro will apparently move to the Alpha platform, what is your opinion on the two sins described above? We have to compromise, and therefore choose what we can live with.

Obviously you prefer the Camaro porkiness given you own or aspire to own a Camaro, but if we were to discuss these two negatives independently, what is your opinion?

A distant alternative to the Camaro for me would be the 2011 Shelby GT500. However, the log rear axle is a big deterrent for me as well as the fact that Mustangs are as common as jeans. Maybe a discussion into the two sins will persuade me for the log axle, or for the porkiness.

christianmotox 03-29-2010 03:32 PM

Porkiness :bellyroll: Good one...

greenrail 03-29-2010 03:35 PM

You seem to have not seen a 2010 Camaro next to a Challenger. Now there is an eye opener.

EDISKRAD EHT 03-29-2010 03:36 PM

A Camaro the size of a Mustang would be "perfect".

TJ91 03-29-2010 03:42 PM

no it wouldnt, it would tke away form the car. poportion wise, the Camaro is PERFECT, its the damn weight that kills it.

HIGHOCTANE 03-29-2010 03:43 PM

GT500s are far from as common as Jeans(compared to Camaros)...but in case you didn't know they are porkier than a 2010 Camaro SS....3900+#.......

Oh and the size of the Camaro is perfect IMO...a couple hundred pounds lighter would be nice...but hey you can't have EVERYTHING..

BTW stick axles save weight,a lot of weight..on the 2003/2004 Cobras IIRC a stick axle swap saved over 100#...just from looking at the set ups I bet it would be even more in a 2010 Camaro,especially if you could get rid of that crossmember...not that I would dream of doing that to mine...
Put the independent rear in the Mustangs and 6 speed....and the weights wouldn't be much different,if any.

Milk 1027 03-29-2010 03:46 PM

Have you driven one?

because I'll tell you it feels nothing like a pork.

Sure it may benefit from being a bit smaller. But it's still not near the size of the challenger.

sik68 03-29-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sen10l (Post 1650916)
I can't in good conscience drive a car that has a "feature" that no other sports car has.

I don't think Ford is marketing the solid rear axle as a feature, any more than Chevrolet is marketing 3860lbs as a feature.

A solid rear axle can, and has been made to perform very well. On a smooth track with a reasonably flat-handling car, there probably isn't too much advantage with IRS. On a bumpy circuit or the street...the solid axle, ahem, just makes the drive more exciting :).

firengnred 03-29-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

You seem to have not seen a 2010 Camaro next to a Challenger. Now there is an eye opener.
:confused0068:

The Camaro's width gives it it's aggressive sexy look that the Mustang just DOES NOT HAVE. A few hundred pounds lighter would be great though. :rolleyes:

Legend 03-29-2010 03:53 PM

I'll take the porkiness...just give me decent gears!

HIGHOCTANE 03-29-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sik68 (Post 1651022)
I don't think Ford is marketing the solid rear axle as a feature, any more than Chevrolet is marketing 3860lbs as a feature.

A solid rear axle can, and has been made to perform very well. On a smooth track with a reasonably flat-handling car, there probably isn't too much advantage with IRS. On a bumpy circuit or the street...the solid axle, ahem, just makes the drive more exciting :).

Bottom line IMO..is the solid axle is cheaper to make,alot lighter and the slightly better handling of the independant rear isn't really something that Mustang buyers "have to have". Heck a good bit of the independant rears in the Terminators were swapped out for the more durable solid.

MIKnam67 03-29-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sen10l (Post 1650916)
As a person with an engineering educational background, I appreciate good technology, so I don't appreciate the log rear axle of the Mustang despite the propaganda spouted (read: excuses) for it. I can't in good conscience drive a car that has a "feature" that no other sports car has.

On the other hand, the Camaro is a porky car. Every picture I see of the 3 main muscle cars shows the Camaro as the widest of the three. This thing is massive! And the weight of course is no better. In fact, I think the Mustang size and weight is "perfect".

The perfect car will be a Camaro with trimmed down dimensions to be around the same size as the Mustang, slightly higher roof and slightly lower body height to improve visibility (which I don't think will reduce its good looks), and improved handling. Ideally the Camaro will weigh no more than the Mustang. That is the absolutely perfect car. I will be completely and 100% satisfied in every regard.

Okay, so given that at the very least, I will not see this perfection until 2014 when the Camaro will apparently move to the Alpha platform, what is your opinion on the two sins described above? We have to compromise, and therefore choose what we can live with.

Obviously you prefer the Camaro porkiness given you own or aspire to own a Camaro, but if we were to discuss these two negatives independently, what is your opinion?

A distant alternative to the Camaro for me would be the 2011 Shelby GT500. However, the log rear axle is a big deterrent for me as well as the fact that Mustangs are as common as jeans. Maybe a discussion into the two sins will persuade me for the log axle, or for the porkiness.

You should stick to engineering

HIGHOCTANE 03-29-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend (Post 1651041)
I'll take the porkiness...just give me decent gears!

What you don't like being able to hit 50 in 1st? lol...
I would definitely like a lower 1st...changing the diff gears seems like it would only be a partial solution?...maybe one that works though..something I need to research...track times with gear changes..

Brokinarrow 03-29-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 1651012)
Have you driven one?

because I'll tell you it feels nothing like a pork.

Sure it may benefit from being a bit smaller. But it's still not near the size of the challenger.

:word: Even my V6 that i had (see signature) didn't feel heavy or sluggish in the slightest. Felt very spry going through twisties too.