CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=257)
-   -   windshield fogging up (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458990)

guyjusthere 07-05-2016 09:39 PM

windshield fogging up

My dash vent seems to always be getting AC. I have turned AC on and off, DASH always seems to get fogged up. Anyone else seeing this?

raptor5244 07-05-2016 11:35 PM

Yep. Basically, too much cold air leaks out the defrost vents and creates condensation circles in humid conditions. No real fix.

alaskajoel 07-06-2016 12:31 AM

Me too. Not very cool.

FrostySS 07-06-2016 10:04 AM

Very annoying.

Rob13567 07-06-2016 11:03 AM

same you can still change the temp even with the AC off

Germansheperd 07-06-2016 11:11 AM

keep the AC on you wont have any fog issues.

clanky 07-06-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germansheperd (Post 9190555)
keep the AC on you wont have any fog issues.

lolwut?:frusty: That is what is causing the windows to fog up. Did you mean keep it off and you wont have fog issues? Not going to happen where I live for sure.

guyjusthere 07-06-2016 05:16 PM

Yeah, this is a problem for me! I live in Miami. This is obstructing my view very often. Even with AC off this seems to occur.

alaskajoel 07-06-2016 09:18 PM

AC is the problem in my case. I can turn the temp up to 75 and I dont have the problem, but any temp in the 60s and it makes the windshield so cold, I get condensation on the outside.

Wheel Team 6 07-06-2016 09:44 PM

Fogging windshield

1 Attachment(s)
I have this problem here in Tampa Florida and it is excessively bad. Stopping at a red light or idling for a couple minutes then the windshield fogs up. Keeping the temp at 74+ on the dual zone control and the fan on low it only fogs up a small area but try to drop the temp even 1 degree or increase fan speed then there are 2 large fogged up areas on the front windshield.

raptor5244 07-06-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheel Team 6 (Post 9191734)
I have this problem here in Tampa Florida and it is excessively bad. Stopping at a red light or idling for a couple minutes then the windshield fogs up. Keeping the temp at 74+ on the dual zone control and the fan on low it only fogs up a small area but try to drop the temp even 1 degree or increase fan speed then there are 2 large fogged up areas on the front windshield.

I am curious if this RainX Antifog product will actually help at all? Obviously, the real fix is to divert or prevent the cold air from hitting the winshield.

https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-.../#.V33c2JD3arU

Wheel Team 6 07-07-2016 05:35 AM

Fogging windshield

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor5244 (Post 9191852)
I am curious if this RainX Antifog product will actually help at all? Obviously, the real fix is to divert or prevent the cold air from hitting the winshield.

https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-.../#.V33c2JD3arU

The dealer actually did try both rain and fog X. Rain beeds off the windshield but the fogging up is still bad.

Brains 07-07-2016 09:07 AM

Mine fogs up too, did it from the day I picked her up.

FrostySS 07-07-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brains (Post 9192261)
Mine fogs up too, did it from the day I picked her up.

Same

coastal_carolina 07-07-2016 09:10 PM

Same problem here.

I just cleaned my windshield with Invisible glass and put rainx anti fog on the lower part of the windshield (inside the vehicle obvi).

Ill report back with the results.

alaskajoel 07-07-2016 10:08 PM

So my biggest problem has been with the right side of the defrost vent. I have to use the floor vent or defrost directly to get the driver side condensation to show up bad, or use the front vents on low temp and full blast.

However, here is my pathetic fix that is actually working great for me...the passenger side controls the right side defrost vent that causes me the most problems. I've been keeping my passenger side temp set to 76 and my driver side set to low, then I close the two passenger facing vents from blowing warm air. Even at full blast It sends cold air to me, and enough warm air up at the windshield to prevent it from fogging. I realize this only works for folks with dual temp controls, but give it a shot.

I can't imagine this problem in a place as humid as Florida. Even along the Ohio river where I live it is awful and very distracting. I can't believe this would be overlooked...but then again, I've been thinking that a lot lately with this car. Still a huge blast to drive thankfully!

Zap city 07-08-2016 09:21 AM

Same issue here. Sucks bad in FLA with the humidity.

coastal_carolina 07-12-2016 08:17 PM

So is everyone's windshield fogging up on the inside/outside, or both?

I used several coats of the Rainx antifog and im having issues with fogging up on the outside of the windshield near the vents now. Most of this anti fog stuff is for inside use. But this is just putting a bandaid on the problem. This is going to be an annoying issue for anyone in the South East. In SC we are in jungle climate right now.

I used the RainX product here (ive had this bottle in my detailing stash forever):
Rain-X AF21212 Anti-Fog https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H5W5W..._dwzHxb5VCR06H

They also have a bigger one in a spray bottle, and one for bathrooms:
Rain-X 630046 Interior Glass Anti-Fog - 12 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9LR9FA..._sxzHxb7BP1415

Rain-X 630034 Bathroom Mirror Anti-Fog, 12 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXKZ7B0..._VxzHxbASCV1QJ

coastal_carolina 07-12-2016 08:25 PM

There is also another thread discussing this in the general section:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=Fogging

KenH. 07-12-2016 10:46 PM

Using liquid rain-x on both the inside and outside worked for me. I tried the rain-x window cleaner and when that didn't work tried the wipes and the anti-fog. Be careful on the inside of your car with the liquid. Don't let it drip on your dash panels but be liberal with how much you put on the windshield.

coastal_carolina 07-12-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenH. (Post 9201662)
Using liquid rain-x on both the inside and outside worked for me. I tried the rain-x window cleaner and when that didn't work tried the wipes and the anti-fog. Be careful on the inside of your car with the liquid. Don't let it drip on your dash panels but be liberal with how much you put on the windshield.

Are you using RainX or RainX anti fog on the outside?

KenH. 07-12-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastal_carolina (Post 9201685)
Are you using RainX or RainX anti fog on the outside?

Rain-X original .. the liquid in a bottle. Both inside and out.

Bradl1982 07-14-2016 08:52 AM

I have this problem also. I'll have to give the rain x anti fog a try.

Bradl1982 07-14-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastal_carolina (Post 9201434)
So is everyone's windshield fogging up on the inside/outside, or both?

Mine is just on the outside.

HCGxKaLiBeR 07-14-2016 10:30 AM

Mine is outside as well. Weird. It never happened on all other cars that I drove.

Derol 07-14-2016 10:53 AM

I am having the same issue since day one. I think its 1) a design flaw or 2) a mechanical flaw. Specifically, either the window is too close to the dash or the car was not mechanically designed correctly to keep too much airflow from escaping through the defrost vent. It is a pain in the butt especially here in deep south texas where it is very very humid.

FishinMagician 07-19-2016 10:05 PM

This is ridiculous! It's a safety issue as far as I'm concerned. I'll be taking mine to the dealer and will not accept any BS answer. I can't even drive at night without running the wipers.

clanky 07-20-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishinMagician (Post 9213019)
This is ridiculous! It's a safety issue as far as I'm concerned. I'll be taking mine to the dealer and will not accept any BS answer. I can't even drive at night without running the wipers.

Let us know what happens. It is really annoying, but I don't see a quick fix or at least I can't think of one. I might try that RainX stuff.

Rsblueblood 07-20-2016 08:39 AM

Have you notice not even a reply from customer service on these threads. They really care.....

classicrockr 07-20-2016 09:06 AM

Wonder if it could be claimed that this is causing a driving hazard and possibly use the lemon law to get rid of it until they fix the issue?

bballr4567 07-20-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsblueblood (Post 9213431)
Have you notice not even a reply from customer service on these threads. They really care.....

All they ask for is for you to give them information and they "pretend" to get you help. The best service is to have a great relationship with your dealer. That's the easiest way to get help. If they were to monitor all the "issue" threads here and on every other forum they would need a small army to cover many of the baseless complaints.

Regardless, as I said in the other thread, the easiest way to stop this from happening is to take your AC off of LO. If you set it at LO the car tries to get the cabin so cold it will condensate on any window.

Mess with the temp and you'll get the fogging to go away a fair bit.

Rsblueblood 07-20-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballr4567 (Post 9213519)
All they ask for is for you to give them information and they "pretend" to get you help. The best service is to have a great relationship with your dealer. That's the easiest way to get help. If they were to monitor all the "issue" threads here and on every other forum they would need a small army to cover many of the baseless complaints.

Regardless, as I said in the other thread, the easiest way to stop this from happening is to take your AC off of LO. If you set it at LO the car tries to get the cabin so cold it will condensate on any window.

Mess with the temp and you'll get the fogging to go away a fair bit.

Sorry that's not the answer, even with it set on 75 still fogs up. As long as there is air coming out of the vent by the windshield and it's cold air the window will fog up. This isn't rocket science.

KenH. 07-20-2016 01:31 PM

I think a proper application of rainx will fix this for you. Even though for a week and a half my car has been in the shop I live in a really humid area and have not had any condensation since treatment.

Make sure your windshield is stripped of waxes and what not for best results. I like to use very soapy water and steel wool. Pulls literally everything off the windows. If you plan to use steel wool read up on how its done and the type to use (0000 i think is the finest you can get) so you don't go damaging your windshield. A less is more approach with a handful of steel wool is a good idea.

Wheel Team 6 07-20-2016 03:38 PM

Fogging windshield

Please see my latest post in the general thread.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=454169&page=6

I had my windshield cleaned, prepped, rain x fog x applied by my window tint shop and it hasn't helped.

bballr4567 07-20-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsblueblood (Post 9213895)
Sorry that's not the answer, even with it set on 75 still fogs up. As long as there is air coming out of the vent by the windshield and it's cold air the window will fog up. This isn't rocket science.

No, it's not rocket science but it does help if you adjust the temperature but it doesn't make it go away completely.

coastal_carolina 07-21-2016 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenH. (Post 9213965)
I think a proper application of rainx will fix this for you. Even though for a week and a half my car has been in the shop I live in a really humid area and have not had any condensation since treatment.

Make sure your windshield is stripped of waxes and what not for best results. I like to use very soapy water and steel wool. Pulls literally everything off the windows. If you plan to use steel wool read up on how its done and the type to use (0000 i think is the finest you can get) so you don't go damaging your windshield. A less is more approach with a handful of steel wool is a good idea.

RainX regular and RainX anti fog has not helped this issue for me. I realize that you are in a different state but not really a different climate. We must be getting more humidity in SC than NC is right now, or my windshield vent leaks worse than yours.

All of my windshield fogging is on the outside.

**Just a note, RainX says the anti fog is only for the INSIDE windshield, and the regular RainX is only for the OUTSIDE windshield. They recommend not deviating from this.

I regularly use their green (warm weather) and orange (de-icer) RainX windshield washing fluid. The green constantly applies RainX when using it. Very convenient. They also make a washer fluid additive.

Also, my family has used Bon Ami for years to clean and strip the outside windshield. I only used it a few times on my GTO. Safer alternative IMO than steel wool. I just recently found a discussion on others using it on windshields:
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...indshield.html

You can also Clay Bar your windshield to strip and clear. RainX has even got in on the craze and created a kit:
https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-.../#.V5Bw77zEyrU

Brusah 07-25-2016 10:34 PM

I stripped the inside and outside of my windshield using isopropyl alcohol and microfiber cloth, then cleaned with my favorite foaming class cleaner, then applied RainX and RainX anti-fog. Still fogs on outside even if it's 80 and have A/C set to 80 which completely defeats the purpose of A/C. I even tried turning heat and defrost on and that took forever to defog the window.

Stex 07-26-2016 08:31 AM

As said a towel will block the vents. May want to try the no slip drawer liner stuff. Lets some air thru but may block enough to limit the fogging. ???

Bradl1982 08-03-2016 11:21 AM

Has anybody brought this up to their service department and gotten any other answer other than "it's normal"? Dealing with this every morning is getting really annoying.

vet757 08-03-2016 11:23 AM

Mine does it sometimes then it goes away after a few minutes.