CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=254)
-   -   AEM Wideband cutting fuel (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550083)

lDejavul 03-17-2019 02:37 AM

AEM Wideband cutting fuel

So today I finally had a chance to install my new headers, ported TB and IM, flex fuel sensor and Rotofab CAI. I run the bosch 02 sensor to the first bung in the headers on the drivers side.

If I start the car with the gauge plugged in it will say heat and then ls4.9 then will rev and little and completely cut power to the engine.

If I start the car without the gauge plugged in. It will start and run fine, I drove for about 20 minutes without issue. Then I plugged the gauge back in and the same exact thing happens it say heat then ls4.9 the revs and cuts the engine power until it dies.

Any ideas? I am really lost.

Dysan911 03-17-2019 04:49 AM

When you plug the WB sensor into the first bung on the drivers side, what are you doing with the stock narrowband o2 that was there?

lDejavul 03-17-2019 08:56 AM

Its disconnected. I have the other 3 run though.

lDejavul 03-17-2019 09:32 AM

It was a really long day so I'm just hoping I did something stupid. Going to check all the gauge connections this morning. Took me about 11 hours to do the full install. I ran into a few issues that made it drag on.

Brianw36 03-17-2019 11:04 AM

You need to reinstall the narrow band sensor in that location. Either install a new bung for the wideband or install it where the second sensor was on that side. Definitely causing issues because the car needs front narrowband.

lDejavul 03-17-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianw36 (Post 10463236)
You need to reinstall the narrow band sensor in that location. Either install a new bung for the wideband or install it where the second sensor was on that side. Definitely causing issues because the car needs front narrowband.

I'm not sure what you are talking about because it definitely ran fine without that 02 sensor plugged in. I only had an issue when I plugged the wideband gauge in and it turned on the wideband.

I figured it out though. I didnt have a good enough ground. It would try and boot and I guess the heat stage it warms up the 02 sensor maybe and it would die before finishing.

Dysan911 03-17-2019 03:49 PM

You're not planning to leave it like that right?

I dont' think I have ever considered running without the front narrow bands hooked up. I would use the oem secondary 02 bung for your AEM WB sensor.

lDejavul 03-17-2019 10:48 PM

I didn't think it would make much of a difference since I have no cats. I went ahead and moved the wideband to the bakx. And put the factory front back in.

JCunningham 03-18-2019 01:02 AM

your car needs both front narrow band sensors to run right. you have to install a 2nd bung as close as you can to the primaries (same location as the other bung is) in the 10 to 2 o'clock position. so you will have 2 bungs in the header. Your car was trying to adjust for the missing o2. had nothing to do with your gauge. The front 2 narrow band sensors are what the ecu uses to maintain the air fuel ratio for each side of the engine. Your wide band is only for your gauge and the OBDII plug from your gauge is so you can data log wide band AFR.

lDejavul 03-18-2019 06:24 AM

I get that it wants the front O2 sensor to run correctly but I can 100% say that it was the aem gauge that was killing my car. I could literally plug it into the obd2 and it would kill the car then unplug it and it would run. I drove it for a good 30 minutes without the front O2 sensor. I did figure out the issue yesterday morning and I also moved the wideband to the to behind where the secondary cats went. I went catless so I'll just leave the narrow band there unless I find out I really really need the secondary O2 sensors for something