CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Adding the 24 color spectrum lighting to the 1SS radio (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482871)

Hyper1SS 02-03-2017 07:12 AM

Adding the 24 color spectrum lighting to the 1SS radio

1 Attachment(s)
I am doing a DIY for the work around on the 1SS if you upgraded to the interior spectrum lighting. The kit comes with the door spectrum lighting and the footwell lighting. after installing and the dealership flashing the BCM and HMI it still does not give us control of the radio LED light bar on the top so it stays white. The doors and footwell lighting can be changed by driver mode or from the radio touchscreen like the 2SS. The reason the radio does not change is because it has a single white LED installed on the 1SS instead of the multi color as the 2SS came with. So to work around this you can either use your footwell lighting kit that is in the kit and replace the LED boards in the back of the radio or buy a extra footwell light kit like I did and replace the LED boards with it and run the wiring (T-tap) into your already installed footwell lighting kit to be able to change colors on the top of the radio as well just like the 2SS.

Hyper1SS 02-03-2017 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the extra footwell lighting kit I purchased for this mod.

Hyper1SS 02-03-2017 07:18 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Radio uninstall. Pop the bottom faceplate off with you hand by getting your fingernail in between the 2 pieces at the bottom and pull out. After the plate is off remove the 2 screws holding the radio in place and swing the radio up from the bottom to remove. You need to disconnect 6 connectors all together from the back of the radio.

Hyper1SS 02-03-2017 08:33 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Now it is time to take the radio apart and replace the LED boards. Take all silver screws out and pay attention where they go because there are 3 shorter screws that need to go back in the hole they came out of. After all screws are out separate the front and back of the radio. Take a small screwdriver and separate the tabs from the footwell lighting pods and the radio lighting pods that hold the boards in place (be careful not to break or damage the pods or the light bars in the radio because they are flimsy). After all pods are open gently replace each single LED board with the multi LED boards. Once installed with the light chip facing inward close the pod back gently till all 4 tabs snap into place. You are now ready to place the light bar back in place and reinstall the radio back and secure with all screws that were removed. The radio part is done now and just time for the wiring portion to get power to these new multi LED boards you just installed in your 1SS radio.

Mr. Grumpy 02-03-2017 11:25 AM

Nice, well done. I love when forum members create post like this one to help others.

I'm wondering if we can change the two white background LEDs behind the radio monitor for two Spectrum Lighting LED.

Thank you Hyper.

2006Moy 02-03-2017 12:44 PM

Very cool write up thank you.

chris227 02-03-2017 02:47 PM

Thanks for doing this DIY for everyone. I'm not to good at making a DIY post . Very good job and great pics.

Hyper1SS 02-03-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy (Post 9539889)
Nice, well done. I love when forum members create post like this one to help others.

I'm wondering if we can change the two white background LEDs behind the radio monitor for two Spectrum Lighting LED.

Thank you Hyper.

Glad to help!!

Hyper1SS 02-03-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2006Moy (Post 9540041)
Very cool write up thank you.

Your welcome. Thank you!!

Hyper1SS 02-03-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris227 (Post 9540280)
Thanks for doing this DYI for everyone. I'm not to good at making a Dyi post . Very good job and great pics.

Your welcome. I have a friend trying to find me the right connectors so I don't have to cut anything.

Hyper1SS 02-04-2017 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found the factory radio connector for correct fit.

TE CONNECTIVITY (TE)
3W MQS RCPT HSG POSI MATE
MQS
953697-2
TE Internal Number: 953697-2

Hyper1SS 02-05-2017 06:48 AM

Can't wait to get my OEM connectors so I can finish this mod.

Yellow6thGen 02-05-2017 08:35 AM

Great write up and Thank you for doing this for the Camaro family...

Hyper1SS 02-13-2017 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my connectors and terminals in the mail today from TE that Ofer ordered for me at Gen5diy. These are the OEM connectors and terminals that connect to the LED light bars in the radio. I have to switch these out with the smaller black 3 wire connectors and terminals from the footwell lighting wire kit. Will try to get this done tomorrow and get everything wired and running by the weekend.