CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Ceramic Coating, yes or no? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588200)

Kimberly1226 02-10-2021 08:04 AM

Ceramic Coating, yes or no?

Just recently purchased a Black 2021 convertible SS2 and I am still debating whether or not to do the ceramic coating for the paint on this car. The dealer I bought the car from is offering Cilajet treatment and I want to know is it worth doing? Your input is appreciated, thank you!

WhiteMale 02-10-2021 08:13 AM

You can almost certainly bet that a dealer add-on is worth next to nothing. Now saying that I let my dealer do some sealer thing and I've been very happy with it but I wouldn't do it again or I'd negotiate the price on it WAY down.

Jaxcam02 02-10-2021 08:17 AM

They are trying to sell you snake oil. Most dealers will say they did something but will not even touch the car. Secondly, most dealers detail departments are similar to you rubbing sand paper across the entire surface of the paint. If I were you I would tell them, DO NOT TOUCH MY PAINT, not even a carwash. The more the dealer touches your paint, the more damage they are going to do, especially black.

Take ownership of your car and go to a professional detailer for a coating.

jamala00 02-10-2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 (Post 10953220)
They are trying to sell you snake oil. Most dealers will say they did something but will not even touch the car. Secondly, most dealers detail departments are similar to you rubbing sand paper across the entire surface of the paint. If I were you I would tell them, DO NOT TOUCH MY PAINT, not even a carwash. The more the dealer touches your paint, the more damage they are going to do, especially black.

Take ownership of your car and go to a professional detailer for a coating.

^^^ This. Don't every buy anything from a dealer except the car.

KenMaro 02-10-2021 08:39 AM

I am a fan of ceramic coating. I also agree with the others, take it to a third party professional. The dealership crews (for the most part) are trying to get cars in and out in as quick a manner as possible. While they may do a ceramic coat I do not believe they will do as thorough a job as a professional who does it as a business. Every dealership is different though, so you may get lucky and have the exception to the rule.

arpad_m 02-10-2021 09:37 AM

My dealership uses a pro detail shop for these jobs, so quality doesn't suffer, but I'd also advise that you cut out the middleman and negotiate it yourself with a detailer, who will give you options and be directly responsible for the job.

I absolutely love the ease of cleaning and the deep, luscious shine ceramic coating offers, but do note that it won't protect the car from scratches and water spotting, in fact these issues are even magnified, because the coating makes the removal of imperfections more difficult. The best protection you can get is full body PPF plus ceramic coating, but that will cost quite a bit.

cellsafemode 02-10-2021 09:43 AM

wrap the entire thing in vinyl, clear or not.

Or just baby it for the 6 months to a year everyone does a new car and then give up on preventing the inevitable. No amount of self care is going to stop birds from landing on your car and walking around, shopping carts from magically using your car as a way to stop, idiots walking by your car and rubbing up against it, etc etc etc.

Invertalon 02-10-2021 09:58 AM

I personally skipped any clear protection film or ceramic coating. Like above, if you actually drive the car things will happen. Rocks big enough will blow right past the clear protection films. For what you can spend on good, proper film and ceramic coating... Once your bumper gets dinged up enough, get it properly repainted and be on your way. Probably cost less. It's plastic, so not like it will rust or anything. Aluminum hood as well, so no issue there.

Seems like a waste of money to me, honestly. Just be careful on keeping back from trucks or other debris-throwing vehicles... Keep things clean and do your own 'easy' ceramic coating/wax such as what is offered my Meguiar's or something for a good sealant/protection. It's all you really need...

Ademarco 02-10-2021 10:20 AM

I have had opticoat and ceramic pro done to all my vehicles. It makes them look new and clean longer than most. When I had a Honda with opticoat, the paint didn’t fade for 16 years I owned it. My raptor and Camaro got ceramic pro and they look great as well. I leave them parked in the driveway and haven’t had issues. The raptor seems to have fading on the plastic pieces, but then again it is 3 years old and Ford used lots of plastic. The truck still looks new. The Camaro looks insane in wild cherry after the ceramic coating. The paint had a bunch of swirls when I bought it new and worried me of the quality coming out of Chevy, but as long as they got the mechanicals right, then no worries. The LT1 is a beast and love pushing the start button everyday.

If you don’t plan to keep your car, then I wouldn’t do it since it is expensive. It is just cheaper for me in the long run to get the coating and touch less car wash than hire a detailed for $80-$100 to hand wash it.

kropscamaro16 02-10-2021 10:37 AM

yes love it

NYblack1le 02-10-2021 10:43 AM

I recommend having it done by a 3rd party or do it yourself. If you ceramic coat, stay away from car washes. Hand wash only preferably by whoever does you’re detail or do it yourself if you have the correct products at home. Ceramic is not swirl or scratch proof and becomes a pain if it needs to be removed to fix scratches. If you maintain it correctly it makes washing you’re car so easy and gives you a long lasting shine.

Jsreo 02-10-2021 11:07 AM

Do it yourself with one of the commercially available product like Carpro Cquartz or something similar. No one will take the time or put in the effort like the car’s owner will

willzilla 02-10-2021 11:55 AM

Go to a pro and have them PPF typical impact areas (bumper, hood, quarter panels, etc) and then ceramic coat.. Expensive but will save your car from typical rock chips but of course won't stop a brick lol.

kropscamaro16 02-10-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsreo (Post 10953356)
Do it yourself with one of the commercially available product like Carpro Cquartz or something similar. No one will take the time or put in the effort like the car’s owner will

its not the coating part that is hard its the correction that takes all the time before the coating