CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Crash upgrade help (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519575)

outobie 01-29-2018 06:44 AM

Crash upgrade help

Hi all

I had a mishap in my new 2017 2LT RS convertible. Smashed in the front end��.

While in for repairs I’d like to add some of the aero kit pieces and wanted to know what would fit.

Specifically I love the look of the ZL1 side skirts.

Does anyone know if the ZL1 sideskirts will bolt on to my 2 LT? And/or what additional parts I’d need to add them?

The bodies of both cars appear identical but you never know.

I’m only interested in OEM GM parts by the way.

Thanks for any help!

BlackSovereign 01-29-2018 07:04 AM

I believe only the entire front fascia and side front fendors are wider. The rest of the body should be the same.

outobie 01-29-2018 07:00 PM

Those are aftermarket skirts in the video.

Has anyone ever installed the OEM GM ZL1 skirts on one of the other models... I’d like to do so on my 2LT.

The parts dealer at my local Chevy dealer says they probably won’t fit (but couldn’t bother to look up any surrounding parts for cross reference. The guy in the body shop of he same Chevy dealer says he thinks they should bolt up no problem (but has never tried or seen it done).

The difference between the ZL1 side skirts and the aero kits for the other models is that all the aero kits bolt ON TO THE ROCKER PANELS whereas the ZL1 side skirts are a molded on PART OF THE ROCKER PANEL. So to install the OEM ZL1 side skirts you must remove your stock rocker panels and replace them with the ZL1 rocker panels (which have the side skirts molded into them)

If no one can confirm they have done this and it bolts on then I suppose I’ll buy just one side and experiment for myself. This may be an expensive experiment if this doesn’t work��

glenB 01-29-2018 07:11 PM

Someone on here put ZL1 skirts on his SS. He pulled the bottom of the fender out at the rear of the front wheelwell.

MSMYYC 01-30-2018 12:56 AM

:thanks:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR (Post 10059290)
Side skirts are universal across all models. Example of how to install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmwsgDzlGSc

That statement is incorrect. Next time you are around a ZL1, check the angle of flare behind the front tires.

All cars EXCEPT the ZL1, and ZL1 1LE, are the same width.

The ZL1 has wider fenders, bumper and side skirts to accommodate the width.

If you want real OEM ZL1 side skirts, you will have to order the entire rocker.

outobie 01-30-2018 08:44 AM

The ZL1 side skirts are part of the rocker I believe... molded as one piece

I’m trying to figure out what else I need to change to mount them

MSMYYC 01-30-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outobie (Post 10060350)
The ZL1 side skirts are part of the rocker I believe... molded as one piece

I’m trying to figure out what else I need to change to mount them

They will physically bolt on your car without issue. Fender alignment will need to be addressed.

outobie 01-30-2018 07:19 PM

Can you be more specific about what needs to be addressed...

Is it just that the skirt sticks out farther than the fender at the very bottom front?
If so perhaps the fender stone guards could fill in the gap or some other mud flap sort of thing

If that’s all it is I can make something easily

Or Does the entire bottom of the fender need to be spaced out from the front of the door forward? That might be a bit more involved

MSMYYC 01-31-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outobie (Post 10061075)
Can you be more specific about what needs to be addressed...

Is it just that the skirt sticks out farther than the fender at the very bottom front?
If so perhaps the fender stone guards could fill in the gap or some other mud flap sort of thing

If that’s all it is I can make something easily

Or Does the entire bottom of the fender need to be spaced out from the front of the door forward? That might be a bit more involved

The flare of the wheel arch is more significant. The bottom of the fender behind the tire is where this is pronounced. I imagine this can be addressed, and made to work without fenders, in fact I know it has been done, but I don’t feel comfortable telling you to go for it as nobody has taken pictures or written how they addressed the gap.

jp9109 01-31-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSMYYC (Post 10061683)
The flare of the wheel arch is more significant. The bottom of the fender behind the tire is where this is pronounced. I imagine this can be addressed, and made to work without fenders, in fact I know it has been done, but I don’t feel comfortable telling you to go for it as nobody has taken pictures or written how they addressed the gap.

Yes this has been discussed many times. And there ARE DIFFERENCES between the coupe and convertibles on the underside of the car.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=488562&page=9 -Last page shows convertible mod.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500230 -Shows how to fix the gap.

outobie 01-31-2018 12:25 PM

Well I just ordered them so I guess I’ll be the guinea pig

jp9109 01-31-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outobie (Post 10061772)
Well I just ordered them so I guess I’ll be the guinea pig

It has been done already. I posted the threads you will need to complete it, no guessing or experimenting. All of the info is in there already including the mods needed for the convertible.

ZED SLED 01-31-2018 02:18 PM

Just to clarify, the ZL1 DOES NOT have wider fenders. They are the exact same fenders as the other trim levels. They are just pulled out further at the bottom behind the wheel via a longer brace. jp9109 above posted links earlier to the threads where someone bought ZL1 rockers and had to fix the gap due to his fenders not being pulled out like a ZL1. Link further up shows a vendor that makes ZL1 style rockers that works on non-ZL1 trim levels without adjusting the fenders.

jp9109 01-31-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 10061902)
Just to clarify, the ZL1 DOES NOT have wider fenders. They are the exact same fenders as the other trim levels. They are just pulled out further at the bottom behind the wheel via a longer brace. jp9109 above posted links earlier to the threads where someone bought ZL1 rockers and had to fix the gap due to his fenders not being pulled out like a ZL1. Link further up shows a vendor that makes ZL1 style rockers that works on non-ZL1 trim levels without adjusting the fenders.

The ZL1 does have specific front fenders that are wider than the ss and lower trim levels. ZL1 has unique fascia, fenders, rockers, and hood. This topic has been covered many times already. The differences are subtle, but they are there and it is not just fenders that are "pulled out" at the bottom. The wheel flats are further outboard than the other trim levels.