CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road Course/Track and Autocross (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   It's happening: Track Event Cancellations (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571990)

driven2exceSS 03-16-2020 04:20 PM

It's happening: Track Event Cancellations

I was just surfing on motorsport.reg and some club and track websites, looking to hit up ANY track asap!! Unfortunately it looks like track events have been and continue to be cancelled. :mad0260: I think those that were lucky to drive this past weekend, at various tracks around the country, very well may be the last to do so for some time. I knew SCCA sent their email suspending a few events, but I didn't expect ALL other organizations to follow so quickly.

Any leads on any immediate/pending events that are still a go??? (Not talking 2-3 months from now)

Badmojo 03-16-2020 04:40 PM

I think that you are going to be out of luck unless it is a small private group. I think it is totally insane that people are cancelling outdoor events with minimal interactions.

Speed Ventures looked like they were still hardcore on events, but they are a West Coast outfit.

driven2exceSS 03-16-2020 04:50 PM

Yeah. I just don't want to accept it. lol But I agree with your view Scott.

NickyRacerBoy 03-16-2020 10:27 PM

Yup NJMP closed!

Provoste 03-16-2020 10:31 PM

Aside from SCCA, tracks are making the call. VIR closed as of today.

samr350 03-16-2020 11:30 PM

Palmer says they're staying open but we'll see what happens. Hopefully private events are still ok so I can get some days in this spring.

driven2exceSS 03-17-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samr350 (Post 10746798)
Palmer says they're staying open but we'll see what happens. Hopefully private events are still ok so I can get some days in this spring.

Interesting, I have had my eye on Palmer for April 11th, weather and CV pending. Since anticipating that the full COMSCC season will not actually be completed as a whole. I am also now following an event for March 28th at Limerock. Not so confident that this track will remain open either. I guess it is day by day, hour by hour...

TWG1 03-17-2020 11:05 AM

Chin/Barber cancelled this weekend. Major bummer since they tend to sell out novice groups on registration opening night, ~ 8 weeks ahead of event.

My thought is that the social cost of bucking CDC/POTUS guidance is far riskier than “going with the flow” at this point, despite present day revenue loss. Small businesses can’t afford public shaming in the Social Media world in which we live.

Mountain 03-17-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWG1 (Post 10747031)
Chin/Barber cancelled this weekend. Major bummer since they tend to sell out novice groups on registration opening night, ~ 8 weeks ahead of event.

My thought is that the social cost of bucking CDC/POTUS guidance is far riskier than “going with the flow” at this point, despite present day revenue loss. Small businesses can’t afford public shaming in the Social Media world in which we live.

This is the huge risk in such social precedence set by executive orders to close business operations.

It's rational and moral for the short term, but very close consideration needs to be considered on "short term"... People are and will loose their jobs the longer you go... At some point, the negative social-economic effects will severely out-weigh the potential health risk. It's touchy...

In my opinion, I think we really need to remove these business closures by start of April and adopt, in place, some sort of population concentration restrictions for certain types of businesses/activities that become less strict over the next 2-3 months.

OhioRiderAaron 03-17-2020 11:47 AM

We have a race school set for April 2nd at VIR....as of yesterday it was not cancelled, but that's cutting it close with VIR being closed till at least the 1st. Yikes

Dave-ROR 03-17-2020 12:30 PM

Yep ChinTrackDays just cancelled their March Sebring event also. Ugh.

Provoste 03-17-2020 12:52 PM

NCM just announced they are closing until 4/6.

FNxR3DNECK 03-17-2020 12:56 PM

I was just about to say something about the Nurburgring still having TF sessions..... and the track is closed until April 6th :(

JD_ 03-17-2020 02:09 PM

Something that maybe has been missed here, but although everyone would do their absolute best to maintain some physical distance and avoid personal contact in the paddock, what we do when attending these events has an inherent risk -- crashes. Nobody likes to think about crashing at a track day, but when they happen you are now going to be in very close and intimate contact with emergency workers. These same emergency workers are already going to be stretched to their limits by their "real world" jobs as doctors, nurses, EMTs, and firemen away from the tracks.

Does it suck we can't scratch that itch for getting the perfect line thru the uphill esses at VIR? You bet! But at the end of the day, this is a hobby, not a necessity.

For what it's worth, my first event was scheduled for next weekend at VIR, but instead I spent the afternoon cancelling reservations.

(donning my new nomex racing suit now)

JD