CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Brakes | Chassis (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=230)
-   -   Are rotors a "wearable item" (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592372)

EJR8402 05-12-2021 02:51 PM

Are rotors a "wearable item"

So my rotors are warped at 21k miles. The dealer confirmed this and offered to turn them for me for $300, which is outrageous.

They say that rotors are a wearable item. To me, this seems like BS- you wouldn't reasonably expect the rotors to warp with this few miles on them when the pads are still good.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other whether GM considers rotors to be wearable items and whether they would be covered under the 3yr/36000 mile warranty?

Thanks!

Future1LEa10 05-12-2021 03:09 PM

They are indeed. brake pads, rotors, wiperblades, fluids and filters and so on. Those types of items are usually only covered if defective, under the first 12/12.

EJR8402 05-12-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 (Post 11009295)
They are indeed. brake pads, rotors, wiperblades, fluids and filters and so on. Those types of items are usually only covered if defective, under the first 12/12.

Thank you Future- any recommendations on replacement rotors?

I've been looking at the Powerstops:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9S572Y...v_ov_lig_dp_it

These look to be original equipment, but I'm not sure I want to go with them considering they warped so easily:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-177-1...7NM2CLR5&psc=1

JT Camaro 05-14-2021 07:09 PM

there is no way the OEM Brembo rotors warped on the street...or warped period for that matter

MatthewAMEL 05-14-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Camaro (Post 11010557)
there is no way the OEM Brembo rotors warped on the street...or warped period for that matter

Hardly true.

The rotors aren't Brembo. Just the caliper. The pad is stamped Brembo, but it's a Ferodo.

It's easy to warp a rotor. Get it hot and drive through a puddle is the most common way.

That being said, I'd be surprised if it was truly warped. Can you post pics?

You might have some uneven pad transfer that pulses the pedal and feels like it's warped.

EJR8402 05-15-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL (Post 11010640)
Hardly true.

The rotors aren't Brembo. Just the caliper. The pad is stamped Brembo, but it's a Ferodo.

It's easy to warp a rotor. Get it hot and drive through a puddle is the most common way.

That being said, I'd be surprised if it was truly warped. Can you post pics?

You might have some uneven pad transfer that pulses the pedal and feels like it's warped.

I'll try to get around to posting some pics later.

If it turns out to be uneven pad transfer, what's the remedy for that? Remove the pads, clean pads and rotors, reinstall?

travislambert 05-15-2021 05:39 PM

No way the rotors warped. It's almost certainly uneven pad transfer. You have to be careful in situations where you brake hard and then come to a stop leaving your foot on the brake. That will cause the problem. After a hard brake, if you have to stop, use very light brake pressure. Letting the car creep forward slowly helps too.

Take some 220-400 grit sand paper, preferably on a small oscillating sander and buff the pad build-up off both sides of each front rotor. It'll be good as new.

Future1LEa10 05-15-2021 06:06 PM

This happened with my Challenger 392. I put on the powerstops and their Z26 pads. 10x better upgrade than stock and literally no brake dust.

len_eng 05-15-2021 06:15 PM

They do warp. My rotors were warped at 9,000 miles. I have never done anything other than highway driving.

Vtor_ZL1 05-15-2021 10:16 PM

Most likely uneven pad deposit. Re-bed them and see if problem goes away.

3 or 4 60-10mph stops, back to back, if it smokes, you are doing it right, if there's fire, you went too far. Keep windows down and smell for it.

travislambert 05-15-2021 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by len_eng (Post 11010921)
They do warp. My rotors were warped at 9,000 miles. I have never done anything other than highway driving.

When people think their rotors are warped, it's uneven pad deposits in basically every case. I punish brakes on the track. Going 150 mph+ 3 times a lap with quick decels to 50 mph, lap after lap. The rotors will basically glow red, and you can splash through water and they don't warp. You cannot warp these OEM rotors on the street with anything that would resemble normal driving. The brakes on these cars are extremely high quality..not great for dust, but you likely won't find more durable pads or rotors that won't squeak and still have the stopping power. The pads do transfer to the rotors easily though. It's something you have to be mindful of to prevent.

A minute or less on each surface with a small oscillating sander will remove the pad deposits and they'll feel like new again.

Future1LEa10 05-15-2021 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travislambert (Post 11011022)
When people think their rotors are warped, it's uneven pad deposits in basically every case. I punish brakes on the track. Going 150 mph+ 3 times a lap with quick decels to 50 mph, lap after lap. The rotors will basically glow red, and you can splash through water and they don't warp. You cannot warp these OEM rotors on the street with anything that would resemble normal driving. The brakes on these cars are extremely high quality..not great for dust, but you likely won't find more durable pads or rotors that won't squeak and still have the stopping power. The pads do transfer to the rotors easily though. It's something you have to be mindful of to prevent.

A minute or less on each surface with a small oscillating sander will remove the pad deposits and they'll feel like new again.

Sorry this is not true at all. But good try.

travislambert 05-16-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 (Post 11011027)
Sorry this is not true at all. But good try.

I'm sorry you believe one of the biggest myths about brakes. I'm also sorry you think PowerStop brakes are even close to OEM quality. That comment erases any and all credibility. PowerStop brakes are garbage. If you're judging brake quality by the amount of dust from the pads, then you likely don't know anything about brakes.

I spend more time at the road course punishing brakes than just about anyone else on here. I've tried OEM, I've tried the 11K kit from AP Racing, I've been offered a sponsorship from other brake manufacturers. I could buy a new car every year or two from my brake budget alone. Before you say something smart ass, like "good try", you might want to consider who you are talking to.

I hesitated posting to help the OP, because I knew this thread would fill with foolish comments from people who misdiagnose brake problems and continue to perpetuate bad information about rotors warping. Is it possible, sure, but it's very unlikely with OEM brakes. In nearly every case it's uneven pad deposits where people heat up their brakes coming to a stop and then hold the brakes in one spot (while waiting on a traffic light, etc.). Another common cause is washing a car without driving afterwards to dry the brakes. The metal in the pads will corrode and stick to the rotors, all in one spot of course.

Gunkk 05-16-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJR8402 (Post 11009287)
So my rotors are warped at 21k miles.

Did you get a dial indicator on those rotors to verify the warp? If so, how much?