CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=257)
-   -   My TC Shudder returned (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578291)

Need4Camaro 07-07-2020 07:33 PM

My TC Shudder returned

Had the flush done under warranty middle of last year, I think around June, I can't remember exactly when. Either way though its back.

Should I try to push for a new torque converter? if so, how?

HCI2000SS 07-07-2020 07:37 PM

You had the latest fluid and flush procedure done? No damage to the torque converter at that time?

Need4Camaro 07-08-2020 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS (Post 10824731)
You had the latest fluid and flush procedure done? No damage to the torque converter at that time?

Got it done literally right before they came out with the new procedure so I dont know if its the latest or not. Unsure if the TC is damaged or not.

Dagstar 07-08-2020 05:10 AM

I had mine done right before the new procedure and it was ok for barely past the period they said to drive it. When I went back they just started the new procedure (tech said I was the first Camaro) and it's been fine since, about 9k miles. Go back again.

HCI2000SS 07-08-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro (Post 10824883)
Got it done literally right before they came out with the new procedure so I dont know if its the latest or not. Unsure if the TC is damaged or not.

Assuming you are still under warranty, then your dealership should do the new fluid and flush procedure along with replacing the torque converter if needed. That's exactly what they did in my case. I didn't even have to ask about the converter, they just saw that it was damaged and replaced it

Aaron07 07-08-2020 10:28 AM

This whole A8 situation is unreal.

arpad_m 07-08-2020 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron07 (Post 10825063)

There's nothing new as far as I can tell, unfortunately several cars on the original torque converter will still hit the (same) problem. New TC + new 2019 fluid = success, if either is missing, the shudder can be expected with some nonzero probability.

Now if that "equation" stops being true, that would definitely qualify as unreal.

Azerlazer26 07-08-2020 11:17 AM

What TSB was performed on your car?

BlackbeastSS2 07-08-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron07 (Post 10825063)

Agree and that’s why I traded in my 2016 A8 SS for a 2019 M6 SS.

ZX-10R 07-08-2020 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 (Post 10825156)
Agree and that’s why I traded in my 2016 A8 SS for a 2019 M6 SS.

I went ZL1 with A10 :happy0180:

Before I sold my 2016 SS I had the latest flush procedure (with the new Mobil 1 product) and seemed to fix *most* of it. I have to believe some damage to the TC already occurred though

custommx3 07-08-2020 11:55 PM

had my TC replaced 2 years ago, no issues since. 35K miles on the new T.

laynlo15 07-09-2020 09:39 AM

Just had my Vet done before it goes out of warranty. So far so good, GM never had to do my Camaro since it was modded to the point they wouldn't even look at it. But its still doing great after 100s of passes down the track and 13000 miles and the tranny is bone stock.

Need4Camaro 07-15-2020 06:05 PM

Welp, I got good news and bad news..

Bad news first:
...My Powertrain Warranty expired... I for some reason thought it was until 75k miles, it was only until 60k and I'm at 61k miles. Car is still at the dealer regardless. I have an extended warranty that I paid for but I'll have to come out of pocket alittle for whatever repair is deemed necessary. I'm also 2 weeks out just for diagnosis. I have a loaner.

Now for the good news:
...My Powertrain Warranty expired...I can now do whatever the hell I want with my car.
I'm thinking of an E85 Tune as well as intake and full exhaust and maybe - just maybe a cam. Not sure on the cam. I may end up just going S/C
That all asside, I've heard of some members replacing the TC and doing a tune for a permanent fix to this issue. What exactly was done? Did they just tune out AFM or was something more tuned? I dont really want to stall my car. I put a stall in my 4th Gen and it doesn't really appease me for a street driven car.

Or should I just hold out for a ZL1?

arpad_m 07-15-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro (Post 10829810)
Welp, I got good news and bad news..

Bad news first:
...My Powertrain Warranty expired... I for some reason thought it was until 75k miles, it was only until 60k and I'm at 61k miles. Car is still at the dealer regardless. I have an extended warranty that I paid for but I'll have to come out of pocket alittle for whatever repair is deemed necessary. I'm also 2 weeks out just for diagnosis. I have a loaner.

Now for the good news:
...My Powertrain Warranty expired...I can now do whatever the hell I want with my car.
I'm thinking of an E85 Tune as well as intake and full exhaust and maybe - just maybe a cam. Not sure on the cam. I may end up just going S/C
That all asside, I've heard of some members replacing the TC and doing a tune for a permanent fix to this issue. What exactly was done? Did they just tune out AFM or was something more tuned? I dont really want to stall my car. I put a stall in my 4th Gen and it doesn't really appease me for a street driven car.

Or should I just hold out for a ZL1?

Aw man, that sucks, you barely nudged past 60k, can't you sweet talk the dealer to still do it under some customer satisfaction program? Labor is probably going to cost you a lot even if the TC itself isn't earth shatteringly expensive.

As to the tune and upgrades, Ted Jannetty did mine and there is much more to the trans tune than disabling AFM. A good tune transforms the A8 into the great transmission it is, I have zero issues with it apart from the paddle shift delay (but that is a design limitation). I'm sure others can also do a great job, and hearing that you're considering flex fuel, cam and/or FI, I for one wouldn't mess with the TCM/ECM/FSCM tune but get that done by a pro shop.