CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   17 ZL1 or Used 14 GTR 🤔🤔🤔 decisions decisions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486241)

N9twingZL1 03-02-2017 10:53 AM

17 ZL1 or Used 14 GTR 🤔🤔🤔 decisions decisions

Just want everybody's feedback on this and whether to stay with Zl1 order or GTR... give me your pros and cons on both please and thank you

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7174/overview/

MiamiBlueCamaro 03-02-2017 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stay with the ZL1, GTR warranty is running out!

2NASSTY 03-02-2017 11:18 AM

I think the Gen6 ZL1 Auto will be the next GTR with American muscle, refinement, and better performance. Stock vs Stock. Modded will lean towards NISMO depending how deep your pockets are. These things are running in the 8's now and fully streetable.

2010REDSS 03-02-2017 11:33 AM

One of my track buddies has a GT-R and man that thing hustles around a track. I've ridden with him at Road America. Great track car.

That said....if you're gonna drop $60k something on a car....I'd lean toward a new one with the latest tech (and a warranty) and with a Bowtie on it! :smiling1:

Plus, I think the ZL1 can handle a GT-R on the track.

Even if you don't intend to track it....the ZL1 is the better car.

Just my $.02 Good luck!

union894 03-02-2017 11:36 AM

I had a 2010 Camaro 2ss with a cam, headers, tuned and with other bolt ons. I now have a 2016 2ss stock and it's a beast, IMO. I can only imagine how awesome the 6th gen ZL1 would feel. That aside, I agree with MiamiBlue, the warranty would be my tipping point. I've never been in a GTR so I can't comment on that, but I've seen the specs on it and it's like a rocket. Either way, good luck with whichever you choose.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

mkorgan 03-02-2017 12:25 PM

I owned a GT-R for about 18 months and it was the fastest, most boring vehicle I have ever owned. I have nothing negative to say about the car. It is fast and it is super easy to drive fast, too easy to be fun in my opinion thus the reason I sold it.

Realist 03-02-2017 01:04 PM

Luv the performance of a GTR but that thing got hit with the ugly stick (just my opinion). New ZL1 with warranty all the way!

SoCal Racer 03-02-2017 05:14 PM

I have loved Godzilla since I was a little kid. The R32 is still my overall favorite, but the current R35s are major technological achievement. When it came out, it definitely raised the bar for everyone across the board and pushed others to do better, but now others are really catching up...and some have pretty much passed it (New R8 V10/new NSX), but it is still a great car.

...I had your dilemma last October. A local Nissan dealership had a used Black 2015 GTR for $70K with only 2200 miles. Why was it so cheap? Because it looked like a Mountain Lion and a Grizzly had a fight inside....seats torn up, center console marked up and scratched, and one interior door panel was also marked up. Other than that the car was mechanically fine. The seats I did not care about because I planned to change them out to Bride racing seats...and the rest did not seem too costly to replace/fix. I had the keys in my hand ready to buy, but I felt that I needed to a second opinion. So I walked around to the other side of the dealer to the Service department and spoke with the Service manager. He was very cool and told me about the car...what was due or worn...what to expect as far as costs down the line for this particular vehicle and GTRs in general. The numbers were incredible. I was thinking it was a Nissan...no problem...ummm, this is no Nissan Maxima....this is more like a Porsche with Nissan badging as far as maintenence costs...yikes...

I walked away...and was very sad about it, but as much as I liked the car...I did not want a money pit which is what it felt like I was stepping into with this car. I had the budget to buy a new one, but I like modding my cars and buying a new one took away my car parts fund...I did not want a stock GTR. With the used one or a new ZL1 I had money to mod pretty much what I wanted down the road.

Both cars are really good. As much as I love my bowties, never underestimate 4WD. As HP/Torque numbers go up, the lack of traction becomes a bigger problem. With 4WD this is a huge advantage, but obviously, I chose the ZL1...because it is sitting in my garage right now (LOL), but it really comes down to what do you want it for and how much will you be putting into it...what is your budget on top on the car that you choose? If it is unlimited...I would go with the GTR, but if you are looking at a used I am going to guess it is not unlimited, same as me :thumb:

Diggitydog 03-02-2017 05:24 PM

It seems like the GT-R had its day in the limelight and has now been surpassed. ZL1 all the way!

396ssrat 03-02-2017 05:33 PM

No Datsuns...... ZL1 handily.

OminouSS 03-02-2017 05:44 PM

Love the input from the dude who owned 1. That has value and should not be over-looked. We drive because it's fun. There is a guy I raced against with the GTR. He loves the thing. It is surprisingly loud and got meatballed for sound faster than I did. That said, my car was faster this day. Never got to drive one though so, go rent one and make an experienced decision. I think paying $60K+ for a car is reason enough for a flight and weekend in Vegas to go drive the car at Exotics or Extreme racing.

93oh 03-02-2017 05:55 PM

Easy to answer ZL1 ... GTR tranny is suspect and the costs of maintenance as discussed is insane

901racer 03-02-2017 07:01 PM

I also am a 2014 GTR owner. It is modestly modified by GTR standards at 800 awhp and stock suspension. I also have a 2015 Z/28 all stock except for an autoblip unit. Recently my son and I drove both at Road Atlanta in an HPDE event with Chin Motorsports.

GTR advantage in the straights and the Z/28 killed it in the corners. Maybe I need a driver mod :). My son has driven both on the track and would give the nod to the Z/28 on the track.

Not sure how the ZL1 compares on the track but suspect its close with much better street manners than both of the above cars. My nod would go the ZL1 if its a street car with occasional track usage.

SSport16 03-02-2017 07:24 PM

ZL1 all the way! For starters the GTR is butt ugly!